Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help, Help!

(69 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 25-Nov-19 14:48:49

Hi Grans, I will be away from 16th - 24th December (late) returning from overseas with 6 family members and will have to organise Christmas dinner for all. I love doing this and cooking is not a problem. I usually cook everything from scratch but, because of time restraints (even shopping on Christmas Eve will be a problem!!) I will have to cook and freeze before I go or buy ready made and freeze with things that will defrost overnight. I know a turkey won't defrost overnight but I have been told that the turkey crowns can be cooked from frozen so can anyone please recommend a good one that they may have used. I don't usually buy ready made and therefore don't know what is good or bad - M & S look to have spectacular things. Also has anyone ever frozen a cheesecake or can any recommend a spectacular desert that will freeze and recipe please also. Thanks everyone

Jane10 Mon 25-Nov-19 22:14:47

I've thought about it. It's ridiculous that you're even thinking of doing this. Surely someone else could do Christmas lunch this year.

Newatthis Mon 25-Nov-19 22:34:26

Many thanks for all this advice. I think I will go ready made as much as possible from M & S and freeze before I go. Hope all goes well and Happy Christmas to you all. - Watch this space!

polyester57 Tue 26-Nov-19 02:11:48

Turkey crowns in my experience are completely tasteless. Wouldn´t do that one again. Turkey or chicken or duck rolls with stuffing inside are the way to go, in my opinion. Stuffed giant mushrooms for the vegans in the family. Roast potatoes are easy enough, use vegan marge so everyone can eat them. Brussels frozen. Pigs in blankets frozen. Ice cream and fruit for pudding. I live on the Continent, so our main Christmas meal is Christmas Eve (fish), but still like to have the British Christmas dinner the next day, with as little work as possible.

Greendress Tue 26-Nov-19 02:15:15

Baked Alaska can be frozen and just popped in the oven straight from the freezer. As can a semi fredo desert.

Nansnet Tue 26-Nov-19 03:06:48

Another vote here for good old M&S! Buy as much as you can readymade/frozen. And if you want proper turkey, how about cooking one before you go away, slice it up, and freeze in smaller portions. Just remember to take them out of the freezer when you get home, and they will defrost over night in the refrigerator. You'll just need to re-heat them in the oven wrapped in foil, or in the microwave.

crystaltipps Tue 26-Nov-19 03:43:08

Our local Indian takeaway doesn’t close at Christmas.....

nanamac77 Tue 26-Nov-19 09:47:34

I agree with the suggestion that you make Boxing Day your official Christmas day ( the Queen has an official birthday so why not?) If you're travelling on Christmas Eve there's a high chance that there may be delays, plus every one will be tired and in need of rest by the time you arrive home.. I've done this a couple of times for various reasons.
And did you know that you can freeze uncooked mincepies in their baking trays? Just bake for an extra 5 minutes when you take them out.

nanamac77 Tue 26-Nov-19 09:48:07

PS Homemade summer pudding freezes well.

Nannyme Tue 26-Nov-19 09:48:57

My daughters did a Christmas meal from Cook, we all chipped in with cost and it was delicious and sooo easy, and can be cooked from frozen. We are doing it again this year.

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Nov-19 09:57:02

Take a look here: www.cookfood.net/
We have had excellent meals from them.
I'm sure you'll find something.
Good luck.

ReadyMeals Tue 26-Nov-19 09:58:45

Why don't you cook and carve the turkey before you go, and freeze it like that?

pen50 Tue 26-Nov-19 09:59:26

My stepdaughter did one of these three years ago. It was very good!

www.cookfood.net/menu/christmas/christmas-day

pamdixon Tue 26-Nov-19 10:09:01

I agree whoever said delegate! Under the circumstances ,I am sure everyone who is coming to you for Chritmas day would understand. Get each person to bring at least one dish so you don't have to do it all yourself at the last minute. I am a control freak and prefer to do all the cooking myself but on occasions have to give in and accept I need help.........so don't be shy about asking for it!!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 26-Nov-19 10:15:44

I would roast and carve the turkey before going away and put the carved turkey in the freezer in as many small portions as the freezer will accommodate, and freeze the gravy too.

Take it out when you return, if it is not fully defrozen next morning, bung it in the microwave, or the de-frost programme on your oven.

Warm it through in a covered roasting tin before serving.

eagleswings Tue 26-Nov-19 10:20:24

Get chilled Turkey delivered and received by neighbour on 24th. Freeze trimmings in advance. Buy Waitrose cauliflower cheese, glazed honey carrots and Brussels with chestnuts. Freeze. Decant into your own serving dishes and pass it off as your own..! Boom.

Madmaggie Tue 26-Nov-19 10:27:54

I had a turkey crown from iceland last year and it was delicious. In fact I ordered my goose fat spuds, sprouts with bacon, Christmas pudd, frozen mini cheesecakes etc etc from them too and had them delivered. I intend to use them again & can recommend. Ensure choccies & baileys to hand and chill smile

jaylucy Tue 26-Nov-19 10:31:17

You can buy just about everything frozen these days, so why bother even making anything this year ? You will have plenty of things to worry about before you go.
What about asking the rest of the family to bring something? Forget the turkey and go for a chicken (or 2) that can be defrosted overnight - just remember to either stick a big not on your fridge, or a reminder on your phone.
Bread sauce can be made on the day, from frozen breadcrumbs - or the packet ones are quite acceptable, I have found!
Everyone will be aware that you will have been away, so they won't expect the usual Mary Berry standard, but even so, if you take a few shortcuts, you may be quite surprised!

grannybuy Tue 26-Nov-19 10:42:09

I would cook the turkey before you go, slice, then freeze in gravy. Cooked meat defrosts mire quickly than froze. My 'corner shop ' is an M& S food shop and I often get reduced bargains of meat, poultry and fish. I cook them same day, then freeze. We've never had any ill effects from reheating.

Tigertooth Tue 26-Nov-19 11:10:58

One of the reasons I would never go out for Christmas day lunch - get the same meal on Christmas Eve or Boxing day for around £30!!!

But then it’s not Christmas lunch is it? I think you’re missing the point.

4allweknow Tue 26-Nov-19 11:24:17

A lot of the wirthwhole supermarkets close early on Christmas Eve and you would run the risk of lie or no stock. Christmas Eve delivery,wiukd be surprised if any slots left even now. Best bet is pre cook and freeze or buy food to be thawed out overnight once you are home. Unless you have a master chef attending frozen veg and desserts won't be noticed even moreso when gravy is added to plate. Have tried frozen cheese and mist are fine but difficult to find one big enough for more than 5 portions. By the way is your freezer shop sized? Would never get all the stuff for Christmas food in mine and I have two. Hope you have no delays and enjoy the day!

Riggie Tue 26-Nov-19 11:34:29

I think sainsburys xmas delivery slots are not yet open so you might manage tonget one of those.
Why not have an easier meal on xmas day and move the actual christmas dinner to boxing day? Or have your christmas dinner in the early evening which gives you longer to get things thawed and cooked.

sweetcakes Tue 26-Nov-19 12:01:08

Tesco slots go live 12.01 am tonight.
Iceland you can cook from frozen also has the advantage of everything in one place from starters to dessert.
Just remember if you are flying and you are delayed you might miss your slot and you will have nothing.

Menopauselbitch Tue 26-Nov-19 12:03:35

The restaurant must live you. Two extra chairs and one table booked out for no profit.

Tedber Tue 26-Nov-19 12:10:42

Not missed the point at all Tigertooth. Think you mis understood. I would not pay the amount charged for Chris day lunch - i prefer to stay home. Was just comparing the prices!

bingo12 Tue 26-Nov-19 12:13:19

When I first came to London as a young wife - I went to Harrods on morning of Christmas Eve to buy a turkey etc - all they had was lamb's liver - the other marble shelves in their huge food area were completely empty and the butcher told me I was ''too late'' - I actually bought some lamb's liver! That was in 70s!