Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

When to step back

(37 Posts)
Sussexborn Thu 05-Dec-19 12:57:16

Random thought! Does the bathroom have a full length mirror. Had one in a hotel recently and I didn’t like it at all.

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-19 12:41:20

PS I should add that youngest GS loves to be given male toiletries and is now generally as fresh as a daisy. However, if your GD receives lots of toiletries for Christmas, she might feel she is being 'got at'. You might care to ask her to make a list of 'stocking fillers' she would like and be very grateful if nice 'smellies' are mentioned.

wildswan16 Thu 05-Dec-19 12:38:41

I would totally drop the subject. It is probably more a case of "I'm fed up with mum telling me how to look after myself".

Obviously if her parents were worried she was depressed or unhappy then that would be different.

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-19 12:37:43

It sounds as if she is being deliberately bolshi which is not unusual in teens of either sex. My youngest GS, now 12, has been really sweaty for some time and, like his brother and cousins, is going through puberty early. I wonder if your GD is concerned that she hasn't reached menarche yet as she will be aware that most of her friends have periods.

MerylStreep Thu 05-Dec-19 12:35:48

Tanith
I know we've got one of those coming down the line: my grandaughter. But, her mother was the same although thank god she got better as she got older (20s)
I have no answers. If I did I'd use them on my own grandaughter ☹️

tanith Thu 05-Dec-19 12:28:40

Thanks everyone, GD hasn’t got her periods yet, late like her Mum and we will definitely be commenting if there is any body odour. Just interested in others experiences.

tanith Thu 05-Dec-19 12:26:26

Nothing going on my daughter has sat and chatted with her calmly about taking care of her bathing etc, no reminding needed to brush teeth/braces she’s very good at taking care of her teeth it’s just getting her to stop whatever she’s doing to go shower. No she isn’t depressed.

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 12:23:27

My lot were always hogging the bathroom. Mind you, my grandson hates morning showers so has them before bed. Is your daughter's bathroom warm and welcoming enough? If not, I'd recommend a heated floor and shower radio.

I think, at nearly 15, she should be left to get on with it (within reason) but I'd comment if I noticed any body odour!

Fennel Thu 05-Dec-19 12:22:24

We've got 2 daughters - I can't remember any hygiene problems, though we only had one bathroom for 6 of us, no shower.
At 15, I would think the main thing to be particular about is during menstruation. If they're dealing with that ok, ignore the rest.

FlexibleFriend Thu 05-Dec-19 12:21:49

Once my sons hit puberty I couldn't keep them out of the shower, girls should be the same.

Urmstongran Thu 05-Dec-19 12:14:12

Might the girl be depressed? Are there any red flags?

I suppose your daughter could try just a chat with her (not a nag) and ask her what’s going on here?

tanith Thu 05-Dec-19 12:10:43

Talking to my daughter this morning about how she’s sick and worn out of nagging/arguing with her nearly 15yr old to shower/wash her hair. She says she’s stepped back and will see how long it goes without her taking a shower. Needless to say she has clean clothes every day but still needs to shower, it’s causing Mum and daughter to argue. It’s odd because my GD has often commented that one of her school friends smells awful, you’d think she’d want to make sure it didn’t happen to her.

When’s the right time to leave your teen to take responsibility for their own ablutions? My daughter has had to nag and nag to get her to shower. 2/3 times a week she even helps her wash her very long hair but is it time to just leave her to it? I can’t even remember that far back and don’t remember nagging my 3 to wash.

I’ll be interested in others take on this.