Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Automatic renewals on services

(7 Posts)
GrandmaMoira Sat 14-Dec-19 12:41:30

I'm currently trying to find the best price for renewing my house insurance. The renewal is over 25% up from last year - vastly more than inflation. They could not offer any lower when I phoned until I queried why it was nearly £400 when comparison websites were showing under £200 for new customers, when they offered to price match. There are other companies offering around £120 so am looking to see what is the best deal on these.
It is time consuming. I don't know it can be done in 20 minutes. I was on the phone for 25 minutes to my currently supplier having spent over an hour on comparison sites. I still expect to spend quite a bit of time again before finalising the best new deal.
Utilities/phone/broadband only put their prices up by a little compared with insurance.

grannybuy Sat 14-Dec-19 11:55:02

Wrong thread!! Sorry.

grannybuy Sat 14-Dec-19 11:54:21

So much angst at Christmas, for some, about whose home to go to, what to cook etc. My DD's always alternated between both sets of parents. One of my DD's, her DH and three DC's travelled fifty miles to spend Christmas with DD's in laws. They would really rather not, but have always done it so as to be fair, and not offend. However, two years ago, when it was the in-laws ' turn ', said in- laws went to Spain for Christmas. They are going again this year. It seems that DD and SIL needn't have worried about upsetting his parents. Each to their own. Maybe more openness required.

Stoker48 Sat 14-Dec-19 11:41:11

Thanks for your replies / experiences.
Next year’s resolution is to look twice at every bill, challenge where appropriate, and see how much I can save by the end of year.
Cheers

hazel93 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:00:31

I never accept a renewal notice. Companies are well aware that a large percentage of people will simply pay up.
It really doesn't take that long these days to switch and the savings are well worth the effort I've found. Even if I only lower the premium by £50 that's a decent "wage" for 20mins. work !

Septimia Tue 10-Dec-19 13:25:30

I agree that it's a pain having to keep shopping around.

My car insurance renewal came one year significantly higher than the previous year's premium.

So I phoned and said that I couldn't afford it and wouldn't be renewing with them. I was asked to wait while they checked - I said if they couldn't do it for the same price as previously not to waste their time. They came back with a premium a little lower than the previous one and with the reasoning that they wanted to keep their regular customers and would thus cover the additional cost themselves.

So why didn't they do that in the first place?

Stoker48 Tue 10-Dec-19 13:12:51

I’d be interested to learn what success ( if any) you’ve had with challenging automatic renewals on various services.
It’s so easy just to let things slide.
I’ve just phoned large company who I have a boiler and central heating cover with. The renewal price was £409.58.
One polite sentence from me resulted in an immediate £103.58 annual deduction.
I am well pleased but it’s annoying to have to go through this each year.
I hate shopping round for best quotes and always get in a faff when trying to do on line.
I prefer the human being approach but suspect that will eventually become withdrawn.
Cheers, everyone.
Hope you keeping snuggly