Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

donating Christmas presents

(37 Posts)
SalsaQueen Thu 12-Dec-19 17:18:08

Does anyone know how/where I can donate brand-new boys' clothes and toys, this Christmas? My husband thinks Salvation Army shop, but I don't want these things to be SOLD for a fraction of their cost. I want to know that some child/children would get them.

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Dec-19 18:37:01

Linda!
Don’t you listen?????
Salsa will be cross with you ?

Linda369 Tue 17-Dec-19 17:37:04

Do you have a local HomeStart? They would take donations like this and would pass onto one of the families they support.

SalsaQueen Sun 15-Dec-19 20:27:57

mcem the thread could continue without people offering suggestions...... even better, with a new thread. Thanks for your input grin

mcem Sun 15-Dec-19 18:43:12

Pleased that you have your answer salsa but is there any reason why the thread should stop while others are exchanging ideas?
You can now graciously opt out but some may wish to continue.

SalsaQueen Sat 14-Dec-19 22:32:01

Daddima......obviously not.

I DON'T NEED ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE, THANK YOU...............

Daddima Sat 14-Dec-19 20:04:36

I often suspect that people don’t read threads salsa. Let’s see if this one continues!

TrendyNannie6 Sat 14-Dec-19 19:57:33

Donate to local hospitals. Children’s nurseries, or if you know of any children that would like them give them to their parents

Janetashbolt Sat 14-Dec-19 15:52:06

If in London you can take them to a Met police station, MUST not be wrapped but you can donate wrapping paper

sazz1 Sat 14-Dec-19 00:06:35

Ring social services as they used to get donations of toys etc to give to poor families. Don't know if they still do but worth a try

Chardy Fri 13-Dec-19 21:42:43

Our local commercial radio station organises exactly this. Or local hospital children's ward?

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Dec-19 20:17:08

See my previous comment.................... I'm taking the stuff to the Salvation Army, for their Christmas Present Appeal. Thanks for all the replies, but I don't need any more suggestions.

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:51:28

Salsa, I don’t believe in God either but vicars are people too and often know of people in need.
They are easy to find, just google your local church.

BusterTank Fri 13-Dec-19 19:45:02

How about your local food bank they know who the needy are . You would make some people Christmas very happy .

Merryweather Fri 13-Dec-19 17:57:27

How about a baby bank? These work similar to food banks and donate toys, clothing and essential equipment to the most vulnerable and needy in society.

Merry Christmas xx

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Dec-19 14:38:47

I contacted The Salvation Army "Christmas Present Appeal" and I'm taking the stuff on Monday to them. Thanks for all replies.

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Dec-19 14:37:55

grandtanteJE65 As an Atheist, I wouldn't know how(or want to)contact a priest grin

grandtanteJE65 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:30:36

Phone a local priest or minister, he will doubtless be able to tell you where the clothes will be most appreciated.

JanT8 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:14:05

Slightly different I know, but someone on our local F/B page posted that her freezer had packed up so was offering all food in it to families in need.
This set me thinking that perhaps every quarter people who do have sufficient donate from their freezer to needy families.
I have seen real hardships in my close family when children were small and Dad left the family home, so know that this would be appreciated!

SuzyWoo1957 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:48:44

Our YMCA is collecting gifts for men which you put in a gift bag - socks, toiletries,sweets, notepad and pen, toothbrush and toothpaste, a small gift and a personalised card.

JeannieB44 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:15:26

Our local radio collects too admit I usually get gifts for younger children next year I will look more for gifts for older lads.

Minerva Fri 13-Dec-19 11:39:44

My youngest grandchild is the last grandchild in the family and we had everything to give away as he launched from babe to toddler to nursery age. Our local women’s refuge happily took everything to equip the next of their ladies to move on with a little one to an unfurnished council flat.

NannyG123 Fri 13-Dec-19 11:34:54

I took mine to the local hospital,. also my football club were asking for gifts for underprivileged children and teenagers which I donated to.

marpau Fri 13-Dec-19 11:26:37

Our local radio collects gifts for children sadly they get very few for teenage boys

Vintagegirl Fri 13-Dec-19 11:21:30

Woman's refuges always grateful also for toiletries. They can be discretely located but I am sure you could enquire at police station? or they would pass along?

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 20:39:49

It's unbelievable, isn't it!
Stealing from those who need it most.