Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

donating Christmas presents

(36 Posts)
SalsaQueen Thu 12-Dec-19 17:18:08

Does anyone know how/where I can donate brand-new boys' clothes and toys, this Christmas? My husband thinks Salvation Army shop, but I don't want these things to be SOLD for a fraction of their cost. I want to know that some child/children would get them.

TheReadingRoom Thu 12-Dec-19 17:30:28

Our local Salvation Army work with vunerable local families and organise Christmas presents of donated new toys and clothes + Christmas food hampers. They also operate the local Food Bank. I would check with your own Salvation Army charity shop for advice.

Ilovecheese Thu 12-Dec-19 17:35:18

Our local Morrisons has a container to donate new toys.
Local radio often have a similar scheme.
I don't know anything for clothes.

mcem Thu 12-Dec-19 17:40:36

Last year I donated to the local domestic abuse refuge (and think I 'll do the same again). What they wanted was small gifts for the children to give to their mums.
I agree that selling items in a charity shop isn't the same as giving (in)directly to child but would agree that a chat with SA or (your local social work dept) would help you to get those items where you want them to go.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 18:08:48

Yes, the Women's Refuge may be glad of donations, sometimes women flee with their children and have nothing.

Other charities collect gifts for local underprivileged children, or ask at your local Food Bank or church who may have contacts.

It's lovely reading about Gransnetters wanting to give to others in need.

On our news the other night there were two instances of despicable break-ins:

Someone broke into a store where a charity had piles of wrapped Christmas presents ready for Father Christmas to give to local children. The charity had been collecting gifts all year.

Not far away someone broke into a Food Bank and stole their whole supply of toilet rolls, coffee and many other items.

shock

Auntieflo Thu 12-Dec-19 18:09:18

In the past our local Tesco has had a 'Wishing Tree', at least that's what I think it was called, and this is how I believe it worked.
There were labels hung on the tree, and customers could take a card and make a gift to that child.
This may be a way for you to gift these things, if they are brand new and still wrapped.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 18:10:33

Ps most of the gifts were stolen, some eg books, were left behind, presumably the thieves were illiterate as well as despicable.

Marydoll Thu 12-Dec-19 19:07:16

The school I taught in often received gifts of new children's clothes, especially at Christmas.
They were discretely given to the children who were in dire need.

SalsaQueen Thu 12-Dec-19 19:55:18

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll choose one of them and sort it out.
Callistemon What horrible, callous scum.

PamelaJ1 Thu 12-Dec-19 20:31:47

I’ve taken them to the Salvation Army before but there citadel is easy to access.
Tesco usually have a bin, as someone has already mentioned.
They also make it easy to donate food.

So sad that some people are despicable.

agnurse Thu 12-Dec-19 20:37:09

You might see if there are local organizations that would like donations - if you have a community newspaper, for example, they might have some ideas. Area churches and other charitable organizations may also have some information. Around here, the Christmas Bureau and Santas Anonymous are two organizations, but I don't know if they would be in your area.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 20:39:49

It's unbelievable, isn't it!
Stealing from those who need it most.

Vintagegirl Fri 13-Dec-19 11:21:30

Woman's refuges always grateful also for toiletries. They can be discretely located but I am sure you could enquire at police station? or they would pass along?

marpau Fri 13-Dec-19 11:26:37

Our local radio collects gifts for children sadly they get very few for teenage boys

NannyG123 Fri 13-Dec-19 11:34:54

I took mine to the local hospital,. also my football club were asking for gifts for underprivileged children and teenagers which I donated to.

Minerva Fri 13-Dec-19 11:39:44

My youngest grandchild is the last grandchild in the family and we had everything to give away as he launched from babe to toddler to nursery age. Our local women’s refuge happily took everything to equip the next of their ladies to move on with a little one to an unfurnished council flat.

JeannieB44 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:15:26

Our local radio collects too admit I usually get gifts for younger children next year I will look more for gifts for older lads.

SuzyWoo1957 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:48:44

Our YMCA is collecting gifts for men which you put in a gift bag - socks, toiletries,sweets, notepad and pen, toothbrush and toothpaste, a small gift and a personalised card.

JanT8 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:14:05

Slightly different I know, but someone on our local F/B page posted that her freezer had packed up so was offering all food in it to families in need.
This set me thinking that perhaps every quarter people who do have sufficient donate from their freezer to needy families.
I have seen real hardships in my close family when children were small and Dad left the family home, so know that this would be appreciated!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:30:36

Phone a local priest or minister, he will doubtless be able to tell you where the clothes will be most appreciated.

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Dec-19 14:37:55

grandtanteJE65 As an Atheist, I wouldn't know how(or want to)contact a priest grin

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Dec-19 14:38:47

I contacted The Salvation Army "Christmas Present Appeal" and I'm taking the stuff on Monday to them. Thanks for all replies.

Merryweather Fri 13-Dec-19 17:57:27

How about a baby bank? These work similar to food banks and donate toys, clothing and essential equipment to the most vulnerable and needy in society.

Merry Christmas xx

BusterTank Fri 13-Dec-19 19:45:02

How about your local food bank they know who the needy are . You would make some people Christmas very happy .

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:51:28

Salsa, I don’t believe in God either but vicars are people too and often know of people in need.
They are easy to find, just google your local church.