Laundry

Rosina Sat 21-Dec-19 17:52:10

I am always trying to do my best for the planet and have cut down quite a lot on clothes washing - a light press and another wearing for items worn once rather than putting them through a wash cycle, but what about the actual laundry powder or liquid? I have variously been told to use powder as it comes in big cardboard boxes, much better than plastic bottes, but have recently read that powder is far worse than liquid in terms of pollution once it is in the machine . Does anyone have some helpful advice please?

Gemini1789 Sat 21-Dec-19 18:44:08

You might want to try eco balls . I couldn’t tell much difference for light washing. I gave up though when one lot split and the small balls inside went everywhere.

wildswan16 Sat 21-Dec-19 18:58:24

I now use soap nuts for everything except really dirty stuff. They last for ages, are nice and light to carry home, and eco friendly.

BradfordLass72 Sat 21-Dec-19 20:44:02

Eco balls? soap nuts? Is this a joke?

No, I know it's not really but it does sound rather weird.

GagaJo Sat 21-Dec-19 20:47:20

For clothes that are not visibly soiled, that just need refreshing, I wash without any laundry detergent. Obviously, for underwear etc, I use it.

I haven't noticed clothes are any less fresh without it.

MerylStreep Sat 21-Dec-19 21:01:54

Wildswan
I've just ordered some soap nuts. The write up looks good.
I've never bought washing detergent in a plastic bottle and I'm concerned about soap powder.
I'm more concerned about the amount of water we are all using. I know that sounds ridiculous at the present time but the long term picture isn't looking good.

M0nica Sat 21-Dec-19 21:08:02

I buy eco washing liquid when I go to France. Unfortunately none of the French brands are available in the UK. The UK market seems to be dominated by one supplier only, Ecover.

No idea why.

Rosina Wed 25-Dec-19 09:03:53

Thanks to all. I did buy some soap nuts from Lakeland recently but haven't used them yet - I will give them a whirl after Christmas; nothing we wear gets particularly dirty unless there is a calamity like tipping your dinner in your lap - that happened last week. I had also been told that 'Ecover' are really not much of an improvement on the standard products.