Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I cancel

(77 Posts)
JeannieB44 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:49:00

My husband was due to have a big op on his foot in December so thinking he would be well on the road to mobility I booked to go with a friend to an afternoon tea event with an author we both love. Well the surgery was cancelled and now booked for April and the day he is due home is the day of the afternoon tea. He is going to be brought home by hospital transport and our eldest son will be here to look after him (because of the distance from the hospital he might not be home to late afternoon anyway). Me being me I am feeling guilty already. Am I being selfish by wanting to go ?

Shropshirelass Sat 04-Jan-20 09:34:48

Go and enjoy yourself. This was pre arranged and your son will be at home when your husband gets home. Anyway, hospital dates and transport change constantly for many reasons so you have no need to change your plans.

I know someone who had arranged to go out for a meal with her son and his wife, just before they were due to leave when her husband fell off a ladder and they had to call an ambulance, husband went off to A & E, wife went out for her meal! Husband had broken ribs! I think something like this is when you have to change your plans!

welbeck Mon 30-Dec-19 19:41:07

I was going to say don't go, I wouldn't, but then i'll never get that opportunity, so it's not a fair comparison.
I cant imagine even wanting to do anything, go anywhere without my LO, but this is your situation.
on reflection, I guess if you want to, and he doesn't mind, go. if it's major surgery, guess he will be in-patient, in which case things rarely go to plan, and what with waiting for medication and for transport, doubt he'll be home before late evening anyway. you might as well go to tea.
when I support neighbour for out-patient appts, we rarely get back before 7pm; was 10.30pm, 9pm, and 8pm the week before xmas.
got one tomorrow, noon; shall I open a book on eta back.
i'll be optimistic and open the betting at 6.30pm.
hosp is 20 mins drive away, but of course rush -hour can make that 60 mins, and we often have to pick/drop others en route. come to think of it, NYE, better say 7pm.

Billybob4491 Mon 30-Dec-19 17:24:56

Nannan2, my post was in response to Jeannie, I do not recall asking you to comment, if I was impolite I could tell you to wind your neck in, however, this is the season of goodwill, so I shall say happy new year instead.

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Dec-19 12:49:56

Nannan2 - if everyone only posted what people wanted to hear, what's the point?
I simply made a suggestion based on what I would do.
And my husband would also "tell me" to go as he's the kindest and most generous man I know.
.... having a different view isn't illegal and the original poster is unlikely to be unduly influenced by me anyway.
If you do go, JeannieB44 I hope you have a lovely time.
Either way, I hope your husband's operation goes well and that he has a speedy recovery.

Mollygo Sun 29-Dec-19 21:04:27

I understand the guilt, but go. If there was no one home to be with him when he arrives that would be different. Hope you enjoy it.

Xrgran Sun 29-Dec-19 19:33:52

Hope you really enjoy it!

sodapop Sun 29-Dec-19 18:51:23

What everyone else said, your son will be there to look after your husband so no problem.
Why are women programmed to feel guilty ?
Enjoy your afternoon JeannieB

NemosMum Sun 29-Dec-19 18:02:37

Definitely NOT a snidey remark Nannan2, just my opinion, which is what OP asked for! I do wish JeannieB44 all the best. If she'd been sure she wouldn't have posted, would she?

EthelJ Sun 29-Dec-19 17:53:17

You are not being selfish, of course you should go and enjoy it.

sarahanew Sun 29-Dec-19 17:28:28

is the day you are going able to be changed? If not how does your hubby feel. you'll be home shortly after he gets back and your son can hold the fort until then

It would be a shame to miss

loopyloo Sun 29-Dec-19 16:58:03

I would explain the situation to my friend so she perhaps had a backup. But wouldn't cancel. Yes it might be delayed again and his discharge might be put back, also the way hospital transport works you might be home for hours before he turns up!

Harris27 Sun 29-Dec-19 15:48:45

You go it’s only a couple of hours and you will be back for him.

Soozikinzi Sun 29-Dec-19 15:42:36

Not selfish at all eldest son is there can have nice bonding time till you get back which probably won’t be much later anyways x

maddyone Sun 29-Dec-19 15:17:27

Absolutely go. I understand that you probably feel guilty because you’re thinking of leaving him for a few hours (I know this because it’s exactly how I’d feel) but try not to be guilt tripped. He’ll be in good hands, not left alone, and he’ll be pleased to see you when you get back.

Naty Sun 29-Dec-19 15:03:57

It's a foot operation. Nothing too serious that he can't wait to see you until later in the evening. You aren't leaving him to the wolves. Enjoy!

Nannan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 13:53:40

Yes,its akin to you just popping to town for a few bits really,you'll only be gone a short while,if you had your own medical or dental stuff on same day they'd all go "oh you must take care of yourself first"- well this is just the same- you need it for your own well being so you can fulfil what's necessary in the days/ wks following his surgery.-so are we all agreed she's going then?Good.grinsmile

Daffydilly Sun 29-Dec-19 13:49:46

Well that's decided, you have to go.

I've read all her books, the St Mary's books are awesome, have a cup of tea for me while you're there. wink

Helenlouise3 Sun 29-Dec-19 13:46:12

Go and enjoy. As others have said the operation could be cancelled again. He will be well taken care of by your son I'm sure.

jannxxx Sun 29-Dec-19 13:33:09

go, enjoy take a photo or signed book home for hubby,

Nannan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 13:29:42

Im on fire with good advice today! Its amazing what being ill at christmas can do for your perspective!tchgringrin

kwest Sun 29-Dec-19 13:28:24

Go, you will only resent the whole situation if you don't.
After running around looking after your husband until he recovers you will have deserved a little reward. You will hopefully have memories of a lovely afternoon to sustain you through the tedium of being a carer, however temporary.

Nannan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 13:27:59

Notspaghetti? Youre being ridiculous,the lady obviously wants to go,she just needs it confirming by us on here that shes made right choice! Its not unheard of for people to do separate things,but it just so happens that the one thing her husbands doing is a medical one,cant be helped,and her hubby has TOLD HER to go,so go she should.as i said,with hospital transport,she may even be home before him anyway,so why should she sit in all day waiting doing nothing if her hubby gave her his blessing alreadysmile

Nannan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 13:17:16

Also,(Langy11 again) whats wrong with your son taking his daughter out on the saturday,on their own, before returning her to her mum,so youve your Saturday free? Or getting the bus or the occasional actual taxi rather than treat you like one? Its not you whose run his debts up,its not you whose the cause of his break up,(doesnt matter who,or what is) im sure its not you though) you are the one whose helping him,but now hes taking the mick,put a stop to it now,or hes going to guilt trip you forever,for whatever he wants in life.hmm and why should you have your whole weekends disrupted,while his ex has every weekend child free,to herself to do as she pleases,or put her feet up,etc while you take over? Yes,its your GC,yes,you love to see her,BUT,your not her mum,and none of this is down to you! Stop being guilt tripped,and put your foot down,and help your son make some kind of 'payment arrangements' for debts,then to start saving towards his own place again,even rented,name on housing list,whatever? you dont say if hes working,but if so help him sort it all practically,but tell him its to be a shorter term thing with you,and look towards that.if youre happy to have him long term,tell him it MUST be every other wkend ONLY-and dont give in.Good luck.let us know how you get on.smile

NotSpaghetti Sun 29-Dec-19 13:05:56

I’m afraid I wouldn’t go - but I wouldn’t cancel either. I’d speak to my friend and tell them that unless the surgery is cancelled again, I wouldn’t go. That gives the friend a chance to invite someone else on the understanding that they were “back-up”.
Sorry to be at odds with everyone else on this, but we all have to do what we feel is best.

Tigertooth Sun 29-Dec-19 12:59:45

Go??