Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I make my house smell lovely?

(63 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 05-Jan-20 16:16:02

How do I make my house smell lovely? I've tried everything pot pourri, air fresheners, essential oils. those reed things etc. But after a short while the smell just goes. I'm not saying my house smells horrible but just smells of nothing. I want to be able to open my front door to a really lovely smell every time I come home. I've been in other people's houses and they seem able to achieve this.

HappyBumbleBee Tue 07-Jan-20 17:24:20

Someone told me this and I tried it and it really does work...
Empty spray bottle, small bottle of zoflora, a lid full of fabric softener and then top up with water. I use it for everything, wiping down the worktops, spray on soft furnishings, curtains, carpet, rugs, dogs bed etc etc.
You do get used to whatever you are using though and become "nose blind" so although you can't smell your air freshener, other people who visit would until they'd got used to it x
Also, use your radiators to dry towels or clothes that have been washed with a lovely fabric softener x

Greeneyedgirl Tue 07-Jan-20 20:31:53

Perhaps it was his chat up line PamelaJ1 grin.
Have you read the list of chemical ingredients in your lovely fabric softener I wonder HappyBumbleBee?
I don't know what Zoflora contains.

SirChenjin Tue 07-Jan-20 21:23:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucywinter Tue 07-Jan-20 22:49:35

Namsnanny is right about the freesias. Nothing smells better. Hyacinths smell lovely for a few days but the smell when they start to go over can be horrible.

Hate all this artificial smelly junk you get these days. Makes me cough or gives me a headache. Or both.

annodomini Tue 07-Jan-20 23:12:50

Freesias do have a wonderful natural fragrance, but the freesias you can buy in supermarkets often lack any fragrance at all. If I want to send flowers to family or friends I order from a grower in Cornwall who supplies only flowers in season and sends them beautifully packaged by first class post. All the recipients have told me how very fragrant their flowers are.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Jan-20 23:16:58

I think we'd better add to this by eliminating the 'old people' smell - as on the recent post!

Namsnanny Wed 08-Jan-20 03:13:30

Lucywinter flowers not Freesias Im afraid!
annodomini … I find the freesias with the best and strongest fragrance are usually a red rusty colour. The second best are the white ones.
They're not available everywhere, and are seasonal, so not often in the supermarkets.

10 stems cost £4.99 in my local florist, good value I think!

Liz46 Wed 08-Jan-20 07:37:58

I used to love freesias but the ones that I find now don't have that lovely smell. I tried to grow some but that wasn't very successful.

Plugins are awful. My neighbour uses one and it takes my breath away.

Shropshirelass Wed 08-Jan-20 07:41:34

Coffee on the go and bread in the oven, these beat artificial smells. If you have pets you have to be careful with plug in diffusers. I believe that some oils are toxic to animals when the vapours are inhaled.

Deedaa Wed 08-Jan-20 23:12:53

I've got one of Angela Strawbridge's scent diffusers in my bedroom which has a lovely light perfume. I've also got a Laura Ashley olive and lemon room spray which is lovely in the kitchen.

ThisLittlePiggy Sat 11-Jan-20 18:38:44

The problem is that we all go "nose blind" after awhile so if you consistently use the same thing you'll eventually stop smelling it. I clearly remember the smell of a friend's house which I particularly loved - Lord Sheraton furniture polish. I often commented on the smell but she couldn't detect it at all!

Gemini1789 Mon 13-Jan-20 16:49:58

Happy Bumble Bee you beat me to it
Zoflora. Buy from Home Bargains or supermarkets.
Wipe over surfaces with zoflora diluted in water. Leave a capful added to water in container overnight. I love it !
There’s bound to be some chemicals in it but hey !