Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New user? Old user? Lurker? We'd love your views.

(449 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Jan-20 16:27:00

We're really happy to read threads like this and know that the site is hitting the mark with you. But we also know that for all of you who are regular posters, there are many more who, for whatever reason, haven't yet joined in on the discussions and we wondered what could be done to make the site more welcoming to newbies? If you are new (or can remember back to when you were) what barriers do you think users may come across that stop them from joining in the chat? And if you are a lurker (although we prefer to think of you as reader) if you're happy to post just this once to let us know what stops you usually, we'd really appreciate it. Any insight you can give us be most welcome and rewarded with a virtual bottle of wine grin
Thanks
GNHQ

Rufus2 Mon 02-Mar-20 11:51:48

it appeared as you were saying it had happened in the kitchen
Nana; Appearances can be deceptive and it had nothing to do with the kitchen! The offensive remark occurred a little while back in a very spiteful post, whereby I and a lady member in Tassie were referred to as buddies and also told to 'ride off into the sunset" plus the bonus "bog off'!
Unfortunately my Tassie "buddy" appears to have left GN as a result; I hope not because I'd welcome a PM; something else we were accused of conniving! The poster knows who she is and I'm hoping she comes forward to refute. hmm
Sorry about that, but as they say, truth will out! OoRoo

NanaandGrampy Mon 02-Mar-20 20:07:39

As you say Rufus which is why I asked the question . Now I know !

As I have no idea about anything that went on between you and whoever , I thank you for explaining and shall ‘ride off into the sunset’ myself ??

Poppy77 Mon 02-Mar-20 20:34:36

Hi I’m new on this site, I have commented on one thread up to now as I was being hit by a massive grief wave and was struggling a bit to come up for air and I honestly didn’t have the energy or mindset to keep posting ?

At the moment it seems to have lifted and I can breathe again and even smile and be a bit more positive, plus with five grandkids you have to smile plus it’s pretty hard not too.
So while the going is good I would just like to say Hello to everyone and hope to virtually speak to you guys soon ?

Mapleleaf Mon 02-Mar-20 20:37:52

Hello, Poppy77. Hope you post again soon. ?

seacliff Mon 02-Mar-20 20:49:10

Hi Poppy glad you are feeling a bit more upbeat now. Welcome smile

rafichagran Mon 02-Mar-20 21:29:39

So glad you ste feeling better Poppy

NanKate Mon 02-Mar-20 22:29:29

Hello Poppy do join us on The Good morning thread started by Michael you will find plenty of support and friendliness if you say you are a newbie.

sodapop Tue 03-Mar-20 07:59:30

Hi Poppy glad things are looking brighter for you now. Look forward to your posts.

Blencathra Tue 03-Mar-20 19:30:46

I am glad it isn’t only me that finds it cliquey.
I suppose it is nice to have something like Soop’s Kitchen where those who know each other can gather. There ought to be a space for those who want friendship out of it and will go to meet ups. I don’t mind it- I just keep away from it. I want to be completely anonymous.

Callistemon Tue 03-Mar-20 19:33:43

What about the Good Morning thread, Blencathra?

I only pop in from time to time but it seems to be upbeat and cheerful.

Callistemon Tue 03-Mar-20 19:34:26

It's also supportive for those who are having difficulties.

Charleygirl5 Tue 03-Mar-20 21:10:02

As is soop's kitchen. Some people or close relatives there are gravely ill and it does give them some comfort.

Maybe meet ups are not for everybody but I have met some really friendly pleasant people on two meet ups I go to. One meet up have been going for around 5 years and it is very local to where I live. The other is a bit of a distance, car, bus and then two tubes.

CherryCezzy Tue 03-Mar-20 21:41:28

I think the Cafe is friendly too.

Charleygirl5 Tue 03-Mar-20 21:44:08

Cherry we try to be when we can get the darn place open!

CherryCezzy Tue 03-Mar-20 22:01:17

yes I know Charleygirl5. Maybe someone broke the key in the lock?

jamsidedown Wed 04-Mar-20 12:11:29

Definitely cliquey, if you’re not a well known poster your own posts can be ignored. Gransnet can make me feel more lonely. I occasionally read posts but very rarely post now. I was told my username is too negative and that’s why I wasn’t getting the best out of Gransnet! I thought it was a humorous take on life so that’s me pigeonholed by someone who doesn’t know me. I’m not usually grumpy, but you did ask ....

Marydoll Wed 04-Mar-20 12:13:41

jamsidedown, I remember seeing your name some time a go and thought it was a great user name.
Not everyone is unfriendly or negative on GN.

Charleygirl5 Wed 04-Mar-20 12:36:14

I also think it is a good name- I would ignore the negativity- I promise we are not all like that.

I do not think we are cliquey. I have been in contact with some people online all of the years I have been a member and one does pick up their life history.

I do admit some would fight with themselves to get out of a paper bag.

Blencathra Wed 04-Mar-20 22:38:33

I have just had a quick look at the Good Morning thread(never looked before) but it seemed to be about the weather!

I suppose it all depends on what you want out of Gransnet.
It appears to me to be cliquey, but then I assume that if I wanted to get to know people it would improve.

NanKate Thu 05-Mar-20 10:51:21

Hi Blen you are most welcome to come on the GM thread that Mick started way back.

We usually mention the weather as it is interesting to see the variations in the weather throughout the country and further afield.

Many of us know each other from meet ups and having been here a long time. So we are not a clique and anyone new is very welcome.

Some of our contributors are going through tough times physically and emotionally and there is always someone who gives a friendly virtual hug.

We often talk about what we are up to that day.

So come and join us.

Marydoll Thu 05-Mar-20 10:59:51

I second that. A clique keeps people out of their circle, we try to be welcoming, when we recognise a new poster.
The thread may seem boring to some, but it's comforting and supportive.
It takes time to get to know people, but you have to post in the first palce to allow others to get to know you.
At first I knew no-one, but persevered. It's a lovely, gentle thread and safe thread.

NanaandGrampy Thu 05-Mar-20 12:33:01

I think there have been a number of comments from posters who felt they were ignored . I actually think in most cases they aren’t ignored.

It’s either that someone has made that point further up the thread or possibly they have made a great succinct post that needs no comment or even that the view is not shared and no comment is possible.

We don’t have the option to like a post or even have an agreement button and sometimes when a thread is moving fast it’s not always possible to get a quick - I agree xxx in.

It’s like a conversation in real life between a group of people not every comment is replied to , in real life we might nod or such . So I would say to those who feel they are ignored that might not be the case and to persevere.

Fernlea Thu 12-Mar-20 21:44:17

I have a busy farm shop in rural Suffolk and handling money, credit card machines and tills etc. We are washing our hands til raw and cleaning everything that moves. My kids and grandchildren are in and out all the time and we realise it’s only a matter of time before the corona virus affects us. The problem is my husband has no bowel and also COPD. It’s very difficult to self isolate..