Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New user? Old user? Lurker? We'd love your views.

(449 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Jan-20 16:27:00

We're really happy to read threads like this and know that the site is hitting the mark with you. But we also know that for all of you who are regular posters, there are many more who, for whatever reason, haven't yet joined in on the discussions and we wondered what could be done to make the site more welcoming to newbies? If you are new (or can remember back to when you were) what barriers do you think users may come across that stop them from joining in the chat? And if you are a lurker (although we prefer to think of you as reader) if you're happy to post just this once to let us know what stops you usually, we'd really appreciate it. Any insight you can give us be most welcome and rewarded with a virtual bottle of wine grin
Thanks
GNHQ

rafichagran Sun 01-Mar-20 17:29:22

Yes I must say that was my first thought Callistemum , however if it was said to any poster for the wrong reason, it's not nice. I know people have said it to each other in jest though.

Callistemon Sun 01-Mar-20 16:01:19

Bogoff?

I like a bargain.
Buy one, get one free.

Rufus2 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:43:42

Did that happen in the kitchen Rufus

No! Would that have made it less offensive? confused.

NanaandGrampy Sun 01-Mar-20 07:36:59

Did that happen in the kitchen Rufus?

Rufus2 Sun 01-Mar-20 07:32:04

maybe it appears to be cliquey but newcomers are never ignored
Charley Especially when they are being told to "Bog Off"!.grin OoRoo

BlueSky Sat 29-Feb-20 17:17:32

Up to recently I was exclusively on the Health forum where I had good advice and support. Now I've started to explore other forums where there's a variety of interesting topics. I stay away from political and controversial issues, I'm not a great talker so wouldn't be able to put my point across as well as others, also I don't want the hassle of arguing.

lilyofthewest Sat 29-Feb-20 16:15:53

I agree with rafichagran as I often read GN but find it very cliquey. If a new poster doesn’t fit in they are hounded & eventually bullied off. Or maybe they just give up & find something else to do. Also, some posters have a habit of correcting another poster’s spelling or grammar. Are they intellectually superior? No. But they are extremely rude & ill mannered. This behaviour does not encourage new members to contribute.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 14:16:28

Soop's Kitchen is wonderful, however, I rarely pop my head round the door because I just can't keep up!

rafichagran Sat 29-Feb-20 14:14:08

I actually like Soops Kitchen, although never been in it. Glad to see new posters are welcome.

rafichagran Sat 29-Feb-20 14:12:38

Love the humour Rufus.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 14:08:08

I hope you never flounce Rufus

The thought of a 92 year old male flouncing off in skirts, petticoats and long bloomers is just too much for me at the moment.
Although I do rather like Dame Edna.

Charleygirl5 Sat 29-Feb-20 13:42:28

I agree wholeheartedly with NanaandGrampy. I have also spent most of my time in soop's kitchen and this has been for years and even with my poor memory, I remember lots of things which have happened to others, the names of GC and pets, latest holidays etc.

I have also met some GNs for coffee over the last few years so maybe it appears to be cliquey but newcomers are never ignored.

Rufus2 Sat 29-Feb-20 13:38:56

A Gransnetter who is a dreadful flouncer
Flouncer What a lovely image that creates!; bloomers and petticoats flying in the breeze! shock
Get a few more flouncers and we could have a Gransnet Can-Can show!
In my dreams! ; but now I'm off to bed and perchance to dream. grin OoRoo

NanaandGrampy Sat 29-Feb-20 13:34:17

I’ve read all the posts with interest and have noted the many comments that say GN is ‘cliquey’ and I wondered how people come to that conclusion ?

I’m only curious because I don’t really feel that way so wonder if it’s being defined differently by different people.

I spend most of my time in Soops Kitchen with the same group of posters , so I know A LOT about them and their lives . So in one way it might be described as a ‘clique’ I suppose but everyone in the kitchen is welcoming and newcomers are NEVER ignored so is it really a clique when my definition would be an unwelcoming group that ban new comers?

Sorry Lara to be slightly off track - just being curious ?

rafichagran Sat 29-Feb-20 11:39:01

Yep it is very cliquey. Gransnet isfor everyone, not just the few.
A Gransnetter who is a dreadful flouncer said I am leaving Gransnet, the 3rd time to my knowledge and everyone was saying you must not leave. Why? If the poster wants to go let her go. On the last flounce apparently someone had upset her. Of course the other poster was wrong in the eyes of other posters even though some had not read the thread she was upset about.
One poster on one of the flounces even said 'You are Gransnet' No she is not, it's the thousands of posters who post that are Gransnet.
Like the previous poster I too find it amusing.

Rufus2 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:22:49

I do find it a bit cliquey
Blencathra I also find it a lot cliquey, even *clanny", but like Frankie S sang "I find it all so amusing!"! grin
OoRoo

Greenfinch Sat 29-Feb-20 09:32:19

Good post Blencathra.

tinaf1 Fri 28-Feb-20 22:38:23

Long time lurker, do comment on various non confrontational threads tried political thread once never again, ?
Like a lot of replies here also find it very cliquey

Blencathra Fri 28-Feb-20 21:56:13

I only pop in once in a while and I find it irritating that if I click on ‘threads I am on’ it tells me that I am not on any - when I definitely was and would like to see them.
I often look but don’t log in unless I see something to comment on. Often it is a long thread where it has probably all been said before - nothing irritates me more than someone who hasn’t bothered to read the thread and doesn’t know the OP changed their mind 30 posts back!
I do find it a bit cliquey and keep out of things like Soops Kitchen where they all appear to know each other and have a back history.

May7 Thu 27-Feb-20 18:52:47

Thank you smile

Galen Thu 27-Feb-20 16:23:34

As someone who joined early in your conception, these days I tend to stick to soops kitchen where I know I’m safe.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Feb-20 16:08:56

grin
Maybe. But still we don't mind making more of an effort to make things more transparent.
Really appreciate all the comments so far by the way. Even those off tangent wink.
Especially from those who don't usually post. And also, thank you to the seasoned gransnetters who are always welcoming to new posters. It obviously makes a huge difference.

Callistemon Thu 27-Feb-20 14:36:35

Lara
smile
I just thought afterwards 'oh, it wasn't that important anyway!'

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Feb-20 14:14:47

Hi @May7 We promise we wouldn't delete anyone for simply answering a question. Sorry to hear you were in the middle of posting when that happened. We've discussed the issue at HQ and from now on where possible will try give more context if we do delete a thread. Hope that helps! smile

Rufus2 Thu 27-Feb-20 11:40:26

it's most disconcerting to spend a while typing
Callistemon You can say that again! I was doing a post for Good Evening Thursday when "Poof!", it disappeared. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" sad