Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Exhaustion

(90 Posts)
Coughdrop Fri 17-Jan-20 14:14:17

Hello everyone. - just a health question please. My husband and I have both had a horrible flu type bug which started on New Year's Day. We had already had the flu jab so not saying we have had the flu. It's been a horrible bug because even though the other symptoms, such as coughing etc, have gone we both feel like all the stuffing has been knocked out of us. Every day we think tomorrow we might start to feel better, but we don't. Everything exhausts us and we keep nodding off and feel almost too tired to breathe. We are eating ok but the slightest exertion leaves us with legs like jelly and having to sit down. We feel old for the 1st time. Anyone else in the UK had this nasty bug and been left feeling similar after 3 weeks? If so, get well soon. Thank you in advance for any replies. X

Evie64 Wed 22-Jan-20 18:13:48

Hi Coughdrop, hope you and DH get well soon. I've had this self same bug for 5 days now and was hoping I could go back to work next week, but I'll wait and see. Currently I feel dreadful and yes, absolutely exhausted. Haven't left the house since last Friday and don't plan on going out tomorrow either. Just sent DH to the Coop for milk and essentials. I'm trying to sleep half sitting up as it seems to relieve the cough but exacerbates the thumping headache. I seem to get ill every winter the last few years. 65 in 4 weeks time so perhaps it's normal?

Callistemon Mon 20-Jan-20 17:23:55

I hope you both feel better soon, Coughdrop
And everyone else on here.

Coughdrop Mon 20-Jan-20 17:16:11

Oh my goodness I am so sorry that so many of you have been or are struggling with this horrible virus. I know I keep saying thank you, but I feel I cannot thank you all enough for your time, comments and good wishes. I hope we all feel much better very soon. At least we know the exhaustion is down to the virus and not because we all suddenly felt old overnight. Love to everyone who has been so kind in responding to me. Get well soon. Hugs to all. xxx

JenniferEccles Mon 20-Jan-20 11:10:42

We had flu on a Caribbean cruise a few winters ago.
Nose swabs taken and put in a machine revealed we had a different flu virus to the one we had been inoculated against at home.

Luckily we recovered fairly quickly and I’m certain it was down to the Tamiflu we were given.

The onboard doctor said it would work quickly and it did.

We felt weak and just laid on the bed sleeping, but after a few days we felt able to sit on the balcony in the warmth until we were deemed fit enough
to mix with the other passengers!

Like I said I am sure the Tamiflu helped us to recover relatively quickly, but the secret is to take it right at the beginning of symptoms.

Billybob4491 Mon 20-Jan-20 06:41:54

I hope everyone who is under the weather starts to feel much better soon. Our GP does not see patients who have a cold/flu virus, despite your age, on a brighter note Spring is just around the corner and I have just bought my first bunch of daffodils!

justwokeup Mon 20-Jan-20 01:43:43

I had it 3 months ago, coughing all the time, especially bad at night when laying down, night sweats and feverishness. Felt awful and exhausted (yes, also thought I was getting old) but definitely not flu, which I've had twice and not sure I'd survive it now. A friend said doc told her it's a virus and absolutely nothing they can give you. Seems this is true as different doc gave GC antibiotics which did not help at all. It took about 6 weeks for me to feel better and I was still coughing occasionally. Then I caught it again from GC for New Year (any celebrations knocked for six!) but, perhaps a bit of resistance now, as it only lasted 2 weeks. At the same time, OH caught it for the first time. He's been dreadful, grey, exhausted and cannot sleep for coughing, had it three weeks now and it seems to be getting worse again so booked doc's appt in the morning. He went last week to take car for MOT - he drove 15 mins there and I drove him home - and he was absolutely exhausted. No point suggesting exercise - he couldn't even walk around the block. So sorry Coughdrop that it's not good news and hope you do start to improve soon, but we're hoping the sight of sunshine will help.

newnanny Mon 20-Jan-20 00:58:37

I am going to try to get appointment. with GP. Not being able to speak at all for almost a month just does not seem normal and i am beginning to wonder if it could be bacterial infection not just virus. I am struggling to swallow too.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 19-Jan-20 18:20:37

My elderly but fit neighbour had it and it floored her, but seems that it may be coming back?

Worse though my Carer who is as fit as a fiddle, very health conscious goes to the gym etc has had it for 3 weeks now, cannot stop coughing is having dreadful night sweats and is as weak as a kitten!

Touch wood, I do not get bugs, although have everything else wrong with me, which is really strange, haven't had even a mild sniffle for over a decade!

grannymy Sun 19-Jan-20 15:10:53

I feel your pain. After I had flu it took me weeks to feel back to normal. When I thought I was "normal" I'd start to do a task and have to sit down half way through it and give it up for then. No wonder flu can be a killer. Just take it easy for a while until you recharge your batteries. Be kind to yourselves xx

annodomini Sun 19-Jan-20 15:07:23

Five years ago, the flu jab had missed a new strain and I got it just when I was due to go to Rome with DS2. I wasn't going to let this bug stop me. On the way south to DS's home, by train, I was throwing up in the loo! However, I had a lovely few days in sunny January in Rome, came home and resumed being ill. Where there's a will... hmm

NanaPlenty Sun 19-Jan-20 14:49:25

I had my flu jab. A few weeks later I got a cough virus and it’s lasted for about six weeks! I wasn’t really ill but I felt soooooo tired all the time and the cough was so irritating especially at night. Please to say I’m feeling better now but I hate that these viruses can hang on so long and take so long to shake off.

Madwoman11 Sun 19-Jan-20 12:54:06

Yes and it went on for many weeks. Knocked hell out of me. Listen to your body and rest

Fereshtay Sun 19-Jan-20 09:04:03

Yes I had and most of my family and friends had ot over Christmas. Same symptoms, only just feel myself but like you feel tired. My cousin has had it for about 6 weeks. You will feel better just take it easy and don't overtired yourself.

Glenfinnan Sun 19-Jan-20 08:08:59

Sorry everyone is feeling ill but reassured that my husband and self are not alone. We have both had these symptoms since before Christmas and yes feel old! I've been left with a pain across the top of my back. Roll on spring!

grannyticktock Sat 18-Jan-20 22:39:14

Oh yes, I've had a blocked ear too. Everything seemed faint and fuzzy for quite a few days, but my hearing is now back to its previous level.

newnanny Sat 18-Jan-20 22:11:36

I prop myself up in bed with four pillows and try to nap in between coughing fits.

newnanny Sat 18-Jan-20 22:09:52

I sympathise coughdrop. I have had same bug with horrendous cough, struggling to breathe and I am asthmatic too. My throat has been raw and I can't talk which both frustrates and frightens me as I first started to feel ill on Dec 18th. I can't shake it off and still feel so ill, weak and no voice.

Callistemon Sat 18-Jan-20 20:59:50

My ears keep popping too.

willa45 Sat 18-Jan-20 20:22:19

Coughdrop.....

Have you considered seeing a doctor?

If symptoms persist, they shouldn't be ignored. Two years ago, my DH stricken with a bad Corona virus. He too was coughing, unable to sleep from breathlessness, falling asleep (in a chair) during the day from sheer exhaustion. Complications of Corona virus led to pneumonia and serious heart problems.
If you don't start to feel better soon, you may want to seek medical advice. Better still, don't wait.

grannyticktock Sat 18-Jan-20 20:12:44

I have just about recovered from this awful cough. One thing I found helps is inhaling steam, perhaps with a grain of menthol in it. It helps loosen secretions so you can have a good old clear-out and nose-blow, and it soothes and opens the airways. Another remedy is anything with ginger in it, which helps with wheeziness and tickly coughs.

Lancslass1 Sat 18-Jan-20 19:51:24

Is the coughing worse when you lie down ?
Even with extra pillows it is impossible to sleep as I cough more.
That is why I intend to sit up in a chair tonight.

Fishpieplease Sat 18-Jan-20 19:45:56

Lemongrove....at least we’re in the same club! I sound like on 20 cigarettes a day with my cough. It’s embarrassing when I’m out and I have a coughing fit.

lemongrove Sat 18-Jan-20 19:41:02

Me too!
A few weeks in now, still coughing madly.Can’t eat even a mouthful without a coughing bout.Had antibiotics for the last week for infected sinuses, slightly better on that score, but still the cough/sore throat/ chills/ tiredness.Falling asleep all over the place!?

Fishpieplease Sat 18-Jan-20 19:25:17

I’m so pleased to see this thread. I’ve had this too since Boxing Day. It’s helping me to feel human again. It’s been truly awful.

Shelagh6 Sat 18-Jan-20 19:01:20

Had it since NY’s Day - still coughing but not so bad - left with catarrh but according to daughter who was an use it can go on for weeks. Hey ho, I am 88 this year!