Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Exhaustion

(89 Posts)
Coughdrop Fri 17-Jan-20 14:14:17

Hello everyone. - just a health question please. My husband and I have both had a horrible flu type bug which started on New Year's Day. We had already had the flu jab so not saying we have had the flu. It's been a horrible bug because even though the other symptoms, such as coughing etc, have gone we both feel like all the stuffing has been knocked out of us. Every day we think tomorrow we might start to feel better, but we don't. Everything exhausts us and we keep nodding off and feel almost too tired to breathe. We are eating ok but the slightest exertion leaves us with legs like jelly and having to sit down. We feel old for the 1st time. Anyone else in the UK had this nasty bug and been left feeling similar after 3 weeks? If so, get well soon. Thank you in advance for any replies. X

endlessstrife Fri 17-Jan-20 14:37:22

Some of these viruses are vicious and can hang around for ages, weeks sometimes. Don’t worry if you don’t feel like eating much, but make sure you drink. Hope you feel better soon.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 17-Jan-20 14:53:55

I’d just make sure I had plenty of fluids and rest. Eating little and often,

ForestsLakesandMountains Fri 17-Jan-20 15:05:03

It may be your body telling you you still need to rest to give self chance to recover properly

annodomini Fri 17-Jan-20 15:12:51

Do give yourselves time. A little daily walk, perhaps adding a bit more each day and a nap when you need it - don't try to fight the exhaustion. You will feel better when you're ready.

Ellianne Fri 17-Jan-20 15:31:26

I agree with taking your time. My DH had it on Boxing Day. He thought he could battle on and stupidly pushed himself over New Year only to go downhill again. He has just about recovered now.

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 15:39:24

Had it over Christmas, not quite as bad as you.*Coughdrop*, but definitely the same bug, with all the feelings of exhaustion and jelly legs.

I am finally over it, but it lasted nearly three weeks.

Grannyknot Fri 17-Jan-20 15:41:06

Coughdrop all I can tell you is that my strong, fit husband took to his bed for a week just before Christmas having been floored by this bug. I don't remember a previous time that he was that ill from a bug that caused coughing etc. And it took him ages to fully recover despite the week in bed.

flowers

NanKate Fri 17-Jan-20 15:43:16

I have had pleurisy since Xmas Eve with masses of coughing and feeling generally done in. The doctor says I have to be patient as these illnesses take their time to depart. Today is my first proper day out and I am in recovery mode after walking around the shops. Rest and warmth are the remedies.

varian Fri 17-Jan-20 15:46:16

A few years ago, before I started having flu jabs, I caught flu from a family member who took ill on Xmas day. I was very ill and totally washed out for six weeks. It was very difficult because I was self employed and had deadlines and commitments to my clients. I kept dragging myself out of bed to do some work then would collapse in a heap after an hour or so.

Since then I've always had flu jabs but I know they cannot guarantee that you won't get the flu as there are many different stains of flu virus and those who produce the jabs have to second guess which ones are likely to be prevalent each year.

It sounds to me that you and your OH are suffering from a type of flu that was not included in this year's jab. I hope you both get well soon.

Calendargirl Fri 17-Jan-20 15:46:34

I had this type of flu bug in January the last couple of years, despite the flu jab. Weary, couldn’t sleep at night, hot, sweaty, thirsty, cough.
Just needed time to get over it, but made me feel really poorly. Hope I escape this year.

EllanVannin Fri 17-Jan-20 16:00:28

Yes, Coughdrop, me.

This is the 3rd week and can't describe how ill I've been. I thought I was breathing my last, honestly.
Today is the first time I " feel sort of okay " until I start to move around.

I nipped out before and returned as though I'd been on a ten mile hike, thoroughly exhausted and weak again so I've sat for an hour and put some fish and chips in the oven just now in the hope that I'll be able to eat them as my appetite hasn't been good.

My legs too are like jelly and I feel as though I'm walking on sponges, it's weird. It's the worst I've felt in my 80th year and seriously thinking about refusing the jab as it did nothing whatsoever. Never in my life had a cough like it either as I don't suffer with my chest or breathing.

I can put it down to having been admitted to hospital with A/fib a week before Christmas and close by were two women coughing and spluttering before a nurse decided there was an infection around as she donned mask apron and gloves. I nearly had a fit then and realised I was definitely in the wrong place.

HettyMaud Fri 17-Jan-20 16:01:10

Three years ago my DH and I had a bug like you describe. In fact I remember him saying this feels like dying. We were both exhausted, everything was an effort. I had night sweats as well plus a urine infection. I think I was on the point of going to hospital. We didn't eat much and both lost weight. I can truly say it took us about 3 months to get over it. I do remember when I was young an older doctor told me that vitamin B levels are depleted after flu. So that might be worth looking into. Really hope you are better soon.

grannyticktock Fri 17-Jan-20 16:27:07

Coughdrop, I too have had a horrible bronchitis-type virus for the last two weeks. I am at last beginning to find some mental energy and have almost stopped coughing, but I am still tired. Normally I am quite busy and active, but the smallest thing tires me out now. What comforts me is that every day there is some slight improvement, so I am confident now that if I stay patient I will soon be well again. Today I had a nap after lunch and felt almost normal after that but I am still taking things easy. I have never watched so much TV in the daytime in my life - soon be time for Pointless again! Just hang in there, but if you really don't feel any better day by day perhaps you should see or speak with a doctor.

DoraMarr Fri 17-Jan-20 16:28:22

It’s horrible, but you will gradually get better. It’s important to keep your vitamin D levels up too. Try to get outside, but walk for no more than five minutes the first day- so that’s walk for 2 1/2 minutes, turn round and come back. Gradually increase, but no more than you are comfortable with. Even sitting outside - warmly dressed, for five minutes will help. Then eat simple, nourishing foods like eggs, soup, chicken and vegetables. Can someone shop for you? Or can you have a food delivery? Don’t worry about housework- alternatively, if you can afford it, have a cleaner once a week to do the kitchen and bathroom and change your bed. I really appreciated that when I was recovering earlier this year. hope you feel better soon.

grannyactivist Fri 17-Jan-20 16:53:27

Both of my parents-in-law have had this dreadful virus. My father-in-law has recovered, but still tires easily. My mother-in-law's recovery has been much slower, she is finally able to get about a little, but only with the use of a stick and is feeling extremely frail. They both are exhausted by the slightest exertion and fall asleep constantly.

I do hope you soon feel better Coughdrop.

Tweedle24 Fri 17-Jan-20 17:02:17

I have had this bug since a couple of weeks before Christmas and it has left me feeling exhausted too. I had to go for an asthma check on Wednesday and found the waiting room full of people with similar symptoms to mine, although that was not why I was there.
TrendyNanny is right. Rest and warm drinks are the rule.

nonnasusie Fri 17-Jan-20 17:02:27

We've both had it too and we're in Italy. I went to England a week before Christmas so maybe I brought it home with me. Neither of us have had a cold that's lasted so long. I actually managed to lose weight over Christmas and New year!

Billybob4491 Fri 17-Jan-20 17:04:34

Coughdrop, despite having the flu jab, my husband has had all the symptoms you describe and is only just getting back on his feet after six weeks.

Coughdrop Fri 17-Jan-20 20:24:25

You are all so lovely for replying. Thank you so much. It is reassuring to know that this bug causes such long standing tiredness and it is not because we have suddenly become very old overnight. I wish you all well and hope everyone recovers soon. Thank you all again for responding to me. Patience and rest and lots of fluids seem to be the order of the day. Sending love to you all.

Patsy70 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:53:11

Sorry, Coughdrop, not sure if this has already been mentioned, but apparently this is the 'European Virus'. I had it for about 4 weeks, then a respite of a few days, before it returned for another couple of weeks, prior to Christmas. I am now taking Echinacea and Vitamin C/Zinc, on the advice of my friend, who is a Homeopath. Pleased to say that I'm now feeling much less tired, more energetic and positive. Get well soon. flowers

wildswan16 Fri 17-Jan-20 21:24:51

Post flu fatigue is very real, and can go on for quite a long time. I think it is one thing you really shouldn't fight. Just let it take as long as it takes. Eat well, do what you feel comfortable doing and be patient patients.

Buffy Sat 18-Jan-20 09:45:31

Sounds awful but all you can do is give in and rest.

GrannySquare Sat 18-Jan-20 09:56:00

Christmas 2019 both OH & I had the flu from hell, despite the flu jab. In our many decades together, we have not been so ill. OH did not sit up until the fifth day after it started - totally floored.

Despite rest, painkillers (sore throats & aching off the scale), & every sensible remedial action, just going a few hundred yards up the road to the local shop felt as demanding as a hike up a mountain for several weeks. I estimate it took roughly seven weeks to walk further afield & not crumple with exhaustion. Roughly three months until stepping out was easy & energetic.

Friends & neighbours had this as well often given antibiotics & steroids.

Rest up.

polnan Sat 18-Jan-20 10:01:44

haven`t had the bug, though several people around here have, and as you describe..
me, grieving, I describe this as though getting over a really serious illness... just so exhausted, weak, crying. and oh my! I don`t like it.. grieving should not be like this... o.k. not really trying to change the thread.. but just saying.. I do so recognise what you say here.