Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Baby's eczema

(62 Posts)
cheekychops61 Fri 17-Jan-20 16:36:14

Hi everyone. I have a beautiful 5 month old granddaughter who is in a terrible state with eczema on her scalp, chin and face. My daughter has been backwards and forwards to the GP, trying various creams which unfortunately do not seem to be settling the problem down. She is not too bad during the day as we can distract her and she wears a little cotton hat but the nights are the worst as both daughter and baby are getting very little sleep. She even has it on her eyelids bless her. Anyone got any suggestions for things that have helped please.

oodles Sat 18-Jan-20 17:49:27

Most babies do not react to mums diet via her milk, but a few very sensitive ones do. Keep a diary of what she eats and how baby is, likewise when introducing other foods. If mum needs to cut out anything it is a dry run for cooking for a little allergic person, if food is a cause or an aggravating factor. With introducing solids coming up diary very important, not just food, anything else that might be relevant. Add potentially tricky foods one at a time www.nhs.uk/start4life/weaning/what-to-feed-your-baby/around-6-months/#anchor-tabs.

cheekychops61 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:11:33

Many thanks everyone for your advice and words of support. My daughter intends to go back to the GP and ask for a referral to our local hospitals dermatology dept. My daughter has breast fed Anna as well as topping up with bottles since she was born. However we also have a history of asthma and allergies in the family. Hopefully things will settle down eventually for them. I will take time to read everyone's posts properly.

lilydily9 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:37:12

Liz Earle's skin repair moisturiser has received some very good feedback from eczema sufferers. It is 100% natural so no harmful ingredients. You can buy it on-line from her website and some Boots Chemists also stock it.

Molli Sat 18-Jan-20 18:49:54

Is your daughter breastfeeding? If so She needs to discuss if cutting dairy out of her diet will help. My granddaughter had an allergic reaction at 4 weeks (sudden covering in rash). Mum had to go dairy and wheat and soya free. Really helped.

glammagran Sat 18-Jan-20 19:16:24

DD had eczema as a baby ( not as bad as some babies) and multiple food and skin allergies. She’d largely outgrown it by 5 but continues to have food allergies and allergies to products - she has an epipen. Luckily DGD has no allergies. When she was at uni we moved house. Whenever she came home her eczema erupted again and got better when she left for uni again. We discovered it was the water softener so took it out.

wondergran Sat 18-Jan-20 21:03:19

My little GS tore his skin until it bled night after night due to eczema. We were frazzled with lack of sleep. Eliminating dairy certainly helped but all the creams prescribed by doctor did not help one jot. Try some of the creams suggested on here until you find the one that may possibly help. Definitely get allergy testing done. DGS is 95% clear of eczema now. He is 8 years old and only gets flare ups when he consumes egg

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 18-Jan-20 21:19:54

I had severe eczema as a baby and thoughout childhood. I eventually decided to try my luck jobwise in London, my bedsit did not have a fridge, so keeping butter or milk was out - my eczema disappeared too!! Worth a try? But take medical advise with a child so young.

Naty Sat 18-Jan-20 22:02:21

Careful of washing powders you use for sheets, towels and parent's clothes. If someone is holding him, have a cloth for them to put over their clothes.
I used to get eczema. I used a tar based shampoo..far too hard on an infant. And vinegar rinses ...also too hard.

My friend's son had it as a baby and she just used aveeno creams. It went away after a year.

Naty Sat 18-Jan-20 22:03:00

Oh, and if she's still breast feeding, put some milk on it.

TwinLolly Sun 19-Jan-20 05:33:57

A colleague's child suffered from eczema and ended up with steroid addiction syndrome. She was at her wits end.

I gave her a block of raw/pure shea butter to try to see if it would help her child's eczema. She gave it a try and saw good results over a few weeks.

Each person/baby/child is different on how they respond to certain lotions and creams so what may work for someone may not work for another.

I have seen some good suggestions including allergy testing.

Good luck!

agnurse Sun 19-Jan-20 05:43:36

Usually with a baby that young we would start by recommending changes to hygiene and washing. Using unscented and gentle washing powder/liquid for baby's clothes can be helpful. When baby is bathed, it's a good idea to slather baby with lotion prior to even drying baby off. This helps to lock in moisture.

If your daughter or someone else has eczema and uses steroid creams, do not use them on baby unless the doctor recommends it. Infants have much thinner skin than adults, and the skin on the face is even thinner than on other parts of the body. Children and babies are much more sensitive to systemic absorption and systemic side effects than adults, so many topical medications are too strong for babies.