Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Duvets no longer needed, any ideas ?

(14 Posts)
Ngaio1 Sun 19-Jan-20 22:10:38

I give any unwanted duvets to local riding stables and horse owners. They help keep the souls cosy under their winter rugs. Not for feather filled ones, I am afraid.

Your could put on your local freecycle - people who make cushions are delighted when faced with feathers for filling.

curvygran950 Sun 19-Jan-20 19:42:42

Thank you everyone for responding, I’ve found a local person who makes bedding for dog rescue charities ( covers them with thick curtain material ) and she would like them .

sodapop Sun 19-Jan-20 19:07:48

Most animal charities don't take duvets now. I'm sure homeless charities would welcome them or your branch of the Salvation Army could advise you

BBbevan Sun 19-Jan-20 16:46:11

If they are beyond donating to charities, how about boarding kennels?

BlueBelle Sun 19-Jan-20 16:21:08

Our charity shop will accept them if they are clean and new looking or if you are near/in a city collecting for refugees please consider that, people with no homes with nothing but freezing cold or in tents at best would love a duvet

kathsue Sun 19-Jan-20 15:45:01

I had a few duvets spare after I sold my caravan. I tried charity shops, homeless and animal charities but they didn't want them. Someone suggested the Reestart recovery house which is for recovering addicts. They were glad of them if I would deliver. I don't know if this is only a local thing.

MerylStreep Sun 19-Jan-20 15:36:35

We take duvets in our shop. We take all the 'stuffing' out and crafters buy it.

KarenHigginsbottom Sun 19-Jan-20 15:33:24

Make a cape.

maytime2 Sun 19-Jan-20 13:36:00

Charity shops in this area will not accept duvets unless they have tickets on them to prove that they have been professionally cleaned. We have a dog rescue place nearby and they are happy to take duvets, old towels etc. Perhaps you could ask if there is something similar in your area.

kittylester Sun 19-Jan-20 13:19:33

You could ring Womens Aid!

Gaunt47 Sun 19-Jan-20 12:53:18

Womens refuges, although quite rightly they are hard to find apparently. You have to know someone who knows someone.

timetogo2016 Sun 19-Jan-20 12:44:36

Great idea GrannyGravy13.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Jan-20 12:40:29

Contact local homeless charities, they may distribute them to those in need.

curvygran950 Sun 19-Jan-20 12:37:31

I have several good quality [feather and down, pure down]clean duvets that I no longer need ,due to getting larger beds or simply being too
hot!
I know that animal charities can't use them. Apart from making them into cushions [!] has anyone got any ideas as to what to do with them? It seems such a waste to take them to the tip.