Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I love my dressing gown!

(43 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:54:21

Two years ago my DS bought me a lovely velour M & S dressing gown. I liken it to having a big hug when I put it on. I have always been what I call a "dressing gown sitter" in the mornings. I get up about 7ish and watch Good Morning Britain for about an hour before going to work. Can't decide about Piers Morgan btw. He's definitely Marmite! Anyway of late since having said dressing gown of an evening I have an overwhelming urge at about 8pm to get into my PJs & dressing gown. I never used to do this and DH doesn't do it either. I don't know why I'm like this. Is it an age thing or what? I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks.smile

agnurse Thu 23-Jan-20 15:53:37

Hubby loves his dressing gown. I actually bought it for him as his old one was wearing out. When he's at home he always wears his sweat pants, T-shirt, and dressing gown. It's a very soft fleecy dressing gown and also beloved by the mogs grin

Davida1968 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:14:22

For me, this is very much a winter-time-and-dark-early-evenings-sort-of-a-thing. My body is saying "snuggle -up and hunker down", both at dusk and (at present) in the grey gloom that is currently passing for daytime, here in the N/West. I find that I feel differently come the lighter days, though I always love to get my night clothes on at some point in the evening, if we're on our own and watching TV.

Jane10 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:28:27

I absolutely love my M&S fleecy dressing gown. It's leopardskin and originally a joke gift from my sister. It's so cosy and comfortable. I remember my DGS then aged 3 watching TV then turning round to me in my dressing gown and rushing over for a big hug from me in my cuddly dressing gown. He said, 'I just had to!'

threexnanny Thu 23-Jan-20 17:11:10

I thought this was a younger generation habit, but it must just be in our family. OH and I only wear nightwear in the day when ill but the younger ones love to have PJ or Onesie days.

jo1book Fri 24-Jan-20 10:34:30

I think is is called loungewear these days. Mooch round the house; watch telly; sleep. One use fits all. Suits me fine at 76

BlueSapphire Fri 24-Jan-20 10:43:28

Only wear my lovely cosy furry M&S dressing gown in the morning when I get up. Then shower and dress into proper clothes. Would never occur to me to change into PJs etc in the evening or wear them during the day. Even this week when I have stayed in with a bad cold I have dressed every day, just would not feel right in nightwear during the day.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 24-Jan-20 10:49:40

Love it jolbook

TrendyNannie6 Fri 24-Jan-20 10:51:55

Love your post about the postman made me giggle jolbrook

MadeInYorkshire Fri 24-Jan-20 10:57:59

I wear mine all day on top of my clothes so that I don't have to put the heating on! More comfy than a coat or cardi!

MerylStreep Fri 24-Jan-20 11:12:35

jolbook
Your link to the Kaftan is the only style of 'dressing gown' I wear. I really dislike the traditional dressing gown, and as for the ones with a tie belt, no no no.
I'm always dressed by 9 am. To someone who said sitting around in smart clothes all my clothes are smart, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them ?

sodapop Fri 24-Jan-20 12:14:51

I agree about the belted dressing gowns MerylStreep for me anyway, I look like a sack of spuds tied in the middle.
I have a nice zip up one which I am convinced makes me look slimmer. smile

jo1book Fri 24-Jan-20 13:45:51

Thanks trendy; nice to share the same humour! A laugh a day keeps ....................

Marilla Fri 24-Jan-20 13:49:45

One of life’s small pleasure is getting into your goonie and dressing gown early on a winter evening.
Even better, is staying in yer goonie for an extra hour in the morning. ?

jo1book Fri 24-Jan-20 13:50:25

Meryl. Beware of that kaftan; I only took mine off at 12 to-day from 7 last night.
Does anyone remember that film "Woman in a Dressing Gown? I remember the fag hanging from her mouth as well. Gave dressing gowns a bad press.

Pantglas2 Fri 24-Jan-20 14:28:56

Mine is a lovely pastel rainbow striped soft fleece number from TKMaxx which I absolutely love but only in the early morning while I fetch my wake-up chamberpot of tea.

Along with another poster, I only wear comfortable clothes and stay in them until I go to bed.

MerylStreep Fri 24-Jan-20 16:46:03

jolbook
No fear of me in my kaftan 'till midday ? I'm too active or out and about.
That vision of that woman is etched on my brain RE dressing gowns?

DanniRae Sat 25-Jan-20 09:31:28

The only thing I do to be comfortable in the evening is take my bra off.
In the morning I wear a huge, purple fleece, wrap around dressing gown. I love it and could wear it all day but, of course I don't.
(But - whisper it I am still in it now and it's 9.30am!!)