Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are there any Gransnetters in New Zealand?

(6 Posts)
hondagirl Sat 25-Jan-20 06:23:53

I do know of at least one member from another thread. I am British by origin and currently in Australia having moved there to be with family. They have now moved to New Zealand. I lost my husband last year and my daughter has suggested I move to New Zealand. I also have Australian citizenship so a visa is not a problem. I am really looking for advice as to what it is like for retirees there. I understand it can be quite expensive to live. I would be on the South Island near Dundedin and the area is quite rural. I am wondering if there is enough going on for retirees and if British people would be readily accepted.

Izabella Sat 25-Jan-20 07:00:32

We have been over here for a couple of months spending quite a bit of time in and around Dunedin/Warrington besides the rest of NZ touring. Dunedin itself is a university town so many nationalities, and we felt very welcome. Looking at the future there is little elderly care/provision outside of the larger cities. if you go rural you need to think about that plus the provision of emergency care (I needed the latter 3 times.) OZ was no problem. Although the care in NZ was excellent too, provision is scanty.

hondagirl Mon 27-Jan-20 01:17:14

Thanks for taking the time to reply Izabella. The rural aspect does concern me a bit.

wiggys52 Sun 02-Feb-20 06:07:31

Hi, I'm British by birth and Australian by choice. Also lived in NZ for just over 5 years although that was 20 years ago. Lived in the South Island which is so very beautiful. Found the people to be very friendly. Medical services were good, we lived in a rural town, but have no idea how it would be for an older person. If you are going to be rural you would need to be able to drive. I would also need good internet. Just so that you have a feeling of independence. Are you able to go for an extended holiday say 2/3 months to get a feel of what it might be like? Also don't forget the winter down south can be very cold. Where we lived (at the top of the South Island) quite a few older people took off to Australia for part of the winter to escape the cold. Good luck and hope this helps a bit.

hondagirl Sun 02-Feb-20 06:31:12

Thank you wiggsy52. Yes, the winter is certainly a consideration. I might think about going for a few months at first, maybe to get away from the Australian summer! Then I can do more research while I am there.

Ellianne Sun 02-Feb-20 09:42:36

My family lives in the north of the South Island which gets the most sunshine overall. Dunedin is colder and quite rural. Izabella is right about medical care, it can be scant as the gp deals with most things on the spot ..... minor ops, births, road accidents etc. Anything more serious or requiring surgery patients have to fly to centres in Wellington or Auckland often in small planes to avoid flying to high for oxygen levels to drop.
Care homes exist as in every town, as do small units adapted to the needs of the elderly. The provision seems good to me.
Living costs are expensive, not just houses but things like clothes. Having said that the quality is better in NZ. We find there is less choice in foods but what there is is fresh.
I can understand your dilemma, Australia is very different from New Zealand.