Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Night time trips to the loo!

(93 Posts)
Stoker48 Sat 25-Jan-20 16:05:56

It’s only in the last year or so that I find myself having to go to the toilet in the night.... quite often twice in the night.
I’m not diabetic. Aging bladder maybe.
Just curious how often you go and is it more frequently as you’ve aged.

Hetty58 Mon 27-Jan-20 09:54:15

It can be the other way around. If you don't sleep deeply, you're more aware of needing to go. It's worth having an overnight sleep monitor check.

Hetty58 Mon 27-Jan-20 10:01:35

www.nhs.uk/conditions/sleep-apnoea/

gmarie Mon 27-Jan-20 10:04:15

2 or 3 times a night. I don't remember the last time I slept a full 7 or 8 hours without getting up. I know I shouldn't drink anything after 6 or so but am always so thirsty I can't seem to help it!

Stoker48 Mon 27-Jan-20 10:32:20

Thanks, everyone.
I do appreciate your responses.
Seems I’m quite normal..... whatever that means ( to quote Prince Charles).

NemosMum Mon 27-Jan-20 10:52:41

Hetty is right to point out that it's very likely that your sleep quality has changed. I would say a couple of visits is par for the course, but see the GP if worried. Research studies on sleep in 'older' people indicate that wakeful periods increase in number and duration, and if you are awake, you will naturally think of needing a visit to the loo. Discomfort and pain due to conditions such as arthritis, plays a part in the likelihood of waking. It's something that exercises me (literally): it's not to solely to pee though. I have suffered from IBS since my early teens and have at least 4 visits to the loo every night, sometimes many more. It's exhausting! However, all has been investigated and nothing sinister found, so I just put up with it. Added to that, I have hip pain which stops me from getting back to sleep. Not for wimps, this ageing business, but better than the alternative!

Moggycuddler Mon 27-Jan-20 11:00:23

I am 63 and for the past few years I get up 2 and sometimes 3 times in the night to wee. I also have a bit of bladder weakness and need to wear a pad in bed or else when I get up with a full bladder I dribble. :-( Extremely unsexy. :-(

Happygirl79 Mon 27-Jan-20 11:08:37

I agree with Franberg. My father and mother both used to restrict fluid intake deliberately to avoid trips to the toilet and became confused and forgetful because of dehydration. Quite dangerous and to be avoided

ReadyMeals Mon 27-Jan-20 11:11:36

Double voiding is a good one to try, as has been mentioned above. Our pelvic organs sag with age, and the bladder often doesn't empty itself efficiently, meaning you can return to bed with it already half full

Kartush Mon 27-Jan-20 11:12:08

I don’t go to sleep til about 2am and am up at 6.30 ish so no night time loo trips for me but my poor husband is up almost every hour due to medication he takes.

jaylucy Mon 27-Jan-20 11:14:41

I complained to my GP about having trips to the loo at night. He told me that it is because your kidneys work better while you are laying down , so should be expected, so I don't understand how you can "train your bladder" without causing problems!

Riggie Mon 27-Jan-20 11:16:50

How often I go in the night and when or indeed if I go in the night seems to go through phases and doesn't seem to have any correlation to how much I drink in the evening.

Bluedaisy Mon 27-Jan-20 11:17:27

I was on tablets that made me sleep all night (not sleeping tablets) so I rarely got up until recently when I came off them, now I get up at least twice to three times every night, it drives me mad because then I want a drink....the dog then wants to go out etc . I did mention this to my doctor the last time I saw him but he just said it was normal to get a ‘sensitive bladder’ as you get older, limit drinks in evening which I can’t do as I get thirsty if I do that so I just suppose it’s the norm as we age along with the lumps, bumps, eyesite and everything else! That did make me laugh V3ra, I might try that on my husband as he often wakes me with his sleep talking and snoring ?

polnan Mon 27-Jan-20 11:42:54

I seem to wake nearly every 2 hours, and trip to the loo, the bladder says go!
though many a time I don`t pass much.

gp`s gave me low codeine, useless, practice nurse fitted 3 different things to push bladder up, none would stay in

if I sleep for 3 hours, that is fantastic..
I am 83! but does the amount of years really make that much difference.

Speldnan Mon 27-Jan-20 11:45:06

I used to get to every two hours and always needing a loo in the day. I gave up caffeine and now have decaf tea and coffee. I try not to drink in the evening. Also I try not to go to the loo the minute I need to ( training!). It’s taken a while but I’m now so much better and mostly only get up once in the night and can go shopping without having to always find a toilet.

Rosina Mon 27-Jan-20 11:46:11

If I wake up I have to go to the bathroom - so annoying, as I try to tell myself I don't want to. If I sleep through I am never in any rush to go to the loo waking up at 7.30 or 8 - so it must be a psychological thing that pushes me out of bed in the cold dark early hours around 3 or 4 a.m.

GrammaH Mon 27-Jan-20 11:53:15

I'm obviously in the minority as I very very rarely need a wee in the night although sadly I do wake for other reasons. I'm now wondering if I'm abnormal!

RomyP Mon 27-Jan-20 12:12:28

Franbern has it right, you need to keep fluid intake up, preferably with water to keep bladder healthy. You could get awful problems by denying yourself fluid intake for what must be over 12 hours, have a good pee just before bedtime and only get up if you really feel you must, it'll help retrain your bladder into not needing a trip to the bathroom for a minimal amount of urine. I get up every night but am so used to it I can virtually get to the loo and back without waking fully. I drink water before I go to sleep and if I wake during night as have very dry mouth, thanks to good fluid intake I'm lucky to not get UTIs which often result from denying oneself fluid in the evenings. Hoping things will improve for you.

moggie57 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:24:59

dont drink fruit juice after 7pm ...opt for a milky drink...my gd bless her .when she drinks fruit juice she wets the bed .yes i know bit different to a grown up, i dont drink after 9pm and then only water if i do.or maybe you have a urine infection .go see the doctor get a sample done....i get this a lot seeing i have only 34 percent right kidney working.

Phloembundle Mon 27-Jan-20 12:32:23

I go a few times a night because I take my BP medication at bedtime. If I hang on I get the most extraordinary loo dreams, where I am searching for somewhere to go and can't find a loo that is not disgustingly filthy or only two inches high etc. The day I find a nice loo in my dream will probably be the day when I wake up in a puddle!

Madmaggie Mon 27-Jan-20 12:32:24

Some nights its twice, some its once. Have tried various evening drinks but avoid tea & coffee now and have a glass of water to take a sip or two when my mouth gets dry. Thats why when we moved here five years ago an en suite plus a downstairs loo was important to me especially as we both seemed to want the loo at the same time during the day! Having a choice now is bliss!!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:45:17

I go three or four times, but this isn't anything new. I have done so all my life.

daffers Mon 27-Jan-20 12:49:33

I am 88 and never ever have to go to loo during night. Go to bed around midnight or later and radio alarm wakes me at 8am. What I do is just before getting into bed I go to loo even if don't feel I need to. I sit on loo and cough several times. This always bring on fluid. I go on coughing until it dries up. Have told others about this and it works for them too.

MaizieD Mon 27-Jan-20 12:57:19

Once, occasionally twice. I just blame it on the mug of tea I take to bed with me and don't worry about it.

For holidays, a head torch is a great asset. No fumbling for lights in strange places, and, useful for reading in bed because hotel bedrooms never have a decent bedside light...

Chestnut Mon 27-Jan-20 12:58:23

For anyone who has a long walk to the toilet there are portable urinals you can keep in the bedroom. My last flat had the toilet downstairs from the bedroom, not very helpful when you have to get up two or maybe three times in the night.
I suppose this is the modern equivalent of having a chamber pot under the bed when the toilet was situated outside lol !!

Willow3 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:58:46

I have to go between 3 to 5 times a night and it is very disruptive to sleep. I take amytriptiline which is supposed to help me get back off to sleep and I am now very addicted to it. Have also tried various other medications for sensitive bladder but nothing seems to work! I had an uplift for a prolapse about 12 years ago but that didn't solve the problem. I just live with it now and find it very embarrassing if we stay overnight with friends. If I sleep for 3 hours without getting up I am so pleased!!