Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Night time trips to the loo!

(93 Posts)
Stoker48 Sat 25-Jan-20 16:05:56

It’s only in the last year or so that I find myself having to go to the toilet in the night.... quite often twice in the night.
I’m not diabetic. Aging bladder maybe.
Just curious how often you go and is it more frequently as you’ve aged.

dahlia Mon 27-Jan-20 19:46:18

While on this delicate subject (!), I usually get up once a night, and as we have an en suite it's just a nuisance. My problem is needing to go in the mornings: on getting out of bed, after breakfast, and then again about thirty minutes later, sometimes again 20 minutes later, all copious amounts. Then everything settles down, but if we have to make an early start, I know just where every public loo is en route! Got lost in a nearby town in the car last Saturday, saw a school open for ballet classes, went in and used the "facilities" or there might have been an accident!

MadeInYorkshire Mon 27-Jan-20 19:52:59

Willow and Debs

After having my pelvic floor operated on at least 18 times, I am surprised mine has lasted this long to be honest, I do think that being an (ex) rider has helped though!

I have recently been diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome and I now have to drink almost constantly all day as I feel so dehydrated - and I am also on medication that requires me to drink a lot. It has now started at night though and I just have to drink as it makes me feel so poorly otherwise, problem is I need about 1/2 a litre before my dreadful thirst is remotely quenched .... as I have a bladder the size of a pea (295mls - normal is generally about twice that) you can imagine what it's like! GP could give me something to help but my BP is too high (stress!) I was sick to death of washing me, my clothes, the floor, my bedding or all 4 of those so I now have a makeshift commode beside my chair! (I sleep in a recliner) Waiting for an appointment (12 weeks) to discuss what I suspect will end up being an NHS Nappy ... but at £1 a throw for Tena/Always needs must - the phrase please could you lend me a Tenner doesn't have quite the same meaning any more, eh? wink Good job I no longer have a partner!

annep1 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:17:14

I am 68. Last few years I go before I go to sleep, up 2/3 hours later then same again and then before breakfast. It's hard to get back to sleep agaib.

watermeadow Mon 27-Jan-20 20:30:08

I need to get up once on most nights and, as my bathroom was downstairs, I’d get back to bed wide awake.
My rather drastic solution was to get planning permission then sell my garden for a building plot. A year later I have a new shower room next to my bedroom, can go for a wee whilst half-asleep and back asleep in moments.

Dibble Mon 27-Jan-20 22:13:22

Although having had my prostate removed I still get up three or more times in the night. I do drink a lot of tea and coffee. I find if I wake up I will want to go to the loo.

StillNotGinger Mon 27-Jan-20 23:16:53

It's once, sometimes twice a night now, for the past few years. My bathroom is way away the other end of my flat, which meant I would be wide awake after that stumbling trip. So now I bring a bucket to the bedroom. My own low-tech ensuite. Barely need to wake up.

In summer I sometimes add the results to the compost heap, it's a great accelerator.

Hetty58 Mon 27-Jan-20 23:26:31

My friend grew up in a large old house with a downstairs bathroom. The five kids, mum and dad used a bucket on the landing at night (as the house was freezing). She says it was pretty full by morning!

cupaffull Tue 28-Jan-20 12:28:57

Thank you all, this post has been sooo useful for perspective on an issue that's rarely discussed and which has encouraged me to heap fulsome praise on my OH.
After his prostate surgery 3 years ago, he was having to pee every 2-3 hours day and night but he's been soo diligent in doing his pelvic floor exercises that now he's only up x 1 nightly. It's encouraged me to do them aswell. But persistence and allowing time is the key because each loo visit takes at least 10 mins - so best done at home.... stopping mid flow and restarting, holding and releasing and repeat. And at each visit not just once weekly plus only decaffeinated drinks after noon. He's 72 and not without other post surgery related problems but the pelvic floor exercises have proved invaluable for his (and my)sleep.
And I always know where to find him when he's disappeared... in the smallest room wink

Joplin Tue 28-Jan-20 15:58:49

I sit on the loo for ages ( really ages ) before I finally go to bed. Otherwise I'm up in the night & as I have to do exercises before I can even sit up in bed the length of time spent sitting on the loo is worth it. And I get a lot of reading done at the same time.

Larraine1 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:30:49

Sometimes when you reach menopause you need to get up in the night for the loo.

Menopauselbitch Tue 28-Jan-20 23:12:35

Are you in the menopause. Before I went on HRT I was going twice every night and it was driving me mental. Now I’m on HRT it’s stopped.

Debs551964 Wed 29-Jan-20 22:34:31

MadeInYorkshire thank you! Your post cracked me up! Got to laugh about it haven't we(e)!!! ???
Well I agree about the Tena lady pads they are sooo expensive. I too need to fi d out how to get the very unsexy nappies through the NHS as I get through so many it's costing a fortune ?. I'm think I'm going to also look into a camping type wee pot but I feel embarrassed as I have my husband in same bedroom. don't fancy him being about whilst I'm peeing tbh ?
It's so nice to listen to others and discuss this embarrassing problem xxx

Fennel Thu 30-Jan-20 11:02:06

Good idea about pelvic floor exercises.
Does anyone know what the 'pelvic floor' consists of?
Is it muscle and bone, or just muscle?

cupaffull Thu 30-Jan-20 11:21:01

The pelvic floor is a muscle support much like a hammock... don't know if link will work but here goes....

www.continence.org.au/pages/how-do-pelvic-floor-muscles-help.html

Fennel Thu 30-Jan-20 11:50:21

Thanks cuppaffull - the link does work. Very useful.
so these muscles have a lot of heavy work to do, over the years. Especially for women.

MadeInYorkshire Thu 30-Jan-20 11:57:00

Ha, ha Debs551964 glad I made you smile!

Go through your GP and ask for a referral to the Incontinence Service - there will be one somewhere within the CCG you are in, of course it may be called something completely different mind?

What with that, the Sleep Apnoea mask I am (supposed) to wear, a head full of dull frizzy hair that looks like straw and the lack of teeth now (as I have lost most of them in the last 2 years because of the Sjogrens), I look an absolute bloody picture ......! sad xx

Mumlovesclangers Thu 30-Jan-20 12:28:18

Lack of oestrogen after the menopause can cause bladder irritation along with vaginal dryness and increased risk of UTI. I use vagifem oestrogen pessaries. These do not carry the same risk as HRT tablets and can be taken even if you cannot take HRT due to medical reasons or being "older" This has helped me with urinary frequency at night.