Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Apple cider vinegar.

(19 Posts)
Puzzled Sat 30-Oct-21 14:53:18

Although concerned about possible effects on teeth, OH swears by cider vinegar for reducing pain from arthritis
There was a book written by a nurse extolling the virtues of cider vinegar as a palliative for arthritis.

Shrub Sat 30-Oct-21 08:30:26

I would advise anyone to read the Wikipedia entry for apple cider vinegar. In this case I think Wikipedia is right. It’s a fad.

Grandmagrim Sat 30-Oct-21 08:09:42

Sorry to be adding to an old thread but you can make acv very easily. I make it to give in small doses to my hens. Lots of how to make it recipes on the internet.

Calendargirl Sat 30-Oct-21 07:16:39

I see this is an old thread, Doodledog asked about it for fungal nail problems.

It’s to apply to the nail, not to drink.

nigrul Sat 30-Oct-21 05:34:27

I have a wealth of experience using apple cider vinegar. Initially, I started taking it on the advice of a doctor, as I had a low level of acidity in my body. This hurts the absorption of vitamins and digestion.
Then I started drinking it in the morning. However, I could not eat for several hours after that, so I had to abandon this method. Then I found an article — druggenius.com/nutrition/apple-cider-vinegar-gummies-uses-benefits-and-side-effects/. And after that, I started taking vinegar in the form of jelly, which made it much easier to use it.
In principle, it can help you lose weight, but I'm not sure that it will benefit your health without a doctor's recommendations.

nigrul Sat 30-Oct-21 05:33:48

You should not self-medicate. It can hurt in the stomach both from spasms and from the advanced stage of gastritis. I advise you to check with a doctor first and then decide what can help you.
Apple cider vinegar is a good solution when there is a need to increase the acidity of your internal environment. Moreover, now some manufacturers make them in a convenient form of marmalade bears — druggenius.com/nutrition/apple-cider-vinegar-gummies-uses-benefits-and-side-effects /.
However, if you have gastritis, on the contrary, you can not eat anything sour! So, on the contrary, it increases painful symptoms and does not contribute to the recovery.

Hetty58 Fri 07-Feb-20 15:52:53

'a lot of pain' is good reason to see the GP!

Doodledog Fri 07-Feb-20 15:50:31

Also good for fungal nail problems.

Maybe a silly question, but do you mean that drinking it is good for fungal nails, or do you apply it to them?

Dec46 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:36:34

After my intial reply I began to wonder if you actually know why you are having stomach problems? If you don't I think it would be wise to see your GP. I've had a number of problems and the worst pain was caused by Gall Stones. I had my Gall Bladder removed and no amount of Apple Cider would have helped that.Please don't self medicate for something which could be potentially serious.

Calendargirl Fri 07-Feb-20 07:11:13

Also good for fungal nail problems.

giulia Fri 07-Feb-20 06:38:36

I put one tbsp l organic cider vinegar in a large 500ml glass of water and take it with my lunch each day.

I had stopped recently and the pains seem to be more accute and frequent.

As it costs so little, why not? It seems to be good for so many things.

Doodledog Thu 06-Feb-20 22:04:45

I like it as a drink. I add a tablespoon or so of it to a mug of hot water and sweeten with honey. I usually have it for breakfast, so brush my teeth soon after. The enamel is just fine smile.

Namsnanny Thu 06-Feb-20 21:17:32

Good Grief midgey … how much did she use?

midgey Thu 06-Feb-20 17:49:59

My friend found it helpful when she was unwell but it took the enamel off her teeth.

Esther1 Thu 06-Feb-20 17:06:45

Maybe try it in tablet form?

Liz46 Thu 06-Feb-20 16:43:55

It's bad for your teeth. I bought some but have only used a bit.

silverlining48 Thu 06-Feb-20 16:43:35

My mum swore by apple cider vinegar. I havnt used it but Worth a try.

Dec46 Thu 06-Feb-20 16:42:31

sadly it didn't help me with my stomach problems but could be worth a try to see if it can help you?

kircubbin2000 Thu 06-Feb-20 16:37:24

Having a lot of pain at the moment I googled and found a recommendation for apple cider vinegar. I wonder if there is any truth in this remedy or is it just an advertising ploy?