Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What should I take ?

(35 Posts)
Lizzle10 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:56:49

My first grandchild was born on Monday smile and my son and his girlfriend have invited me to stay with them this weekend. I have already bought the car seat , clothes and Moses basket and they have so much stuff they have gone mad buying bless them . I don’t know whether I should turn up with a present for the baby or buy them something as a new parent gift and what do you buy ? It’s no good cooking a meal and taking it I have a 3 hour journey and I don’t think they would appreciate it really . Any suggestion please x

V3ra Wed 12-Feb-20 18:05:55

Curvygran950 you've just reminded me I bought a set of "Baby First Milestone" cards from Amazon.
My daughter used to WhatsApp me a photo of my granddaughter alongside the different cards, eg "today I smiled for the first time," "today I sat up by myself."
They were cute and easy to use.

Lizzle10 Wed 12-Feb-20 20:36:45

Oopsadaisy3 that didn’t sound very nice me saying plain Jane - my sons words ! She’s a lovely girl very natural not much make up etc .

JuliaM Wed 12-Feb-20 21:03:04

I believethatthe laws have changedrecently regarding Grandparents opening savings accounts for Grandchildren. My husband triedto do this last week for our youngest Grandchild and found out that only the childs parents can do that, but once set up, we can pay money into the account by Cheque, but not make any withdrawals. Aparantly, this is to stop Grand parents using a childs account as their own to save at a higher tax free interest rate, then withdrawing their cash at a later date and pocketing the premium for themselves according to the bank manager we spoke to.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 12-Feb-20 21:14:54

I will take something nice for your DIL if you are not sure what she would like ask your son for some ideas

Hetty58 Wed 12-Feb-20 21:19:24

No perfumed products for the mother as natural scent is important for bonding and breastfeeding. No alcohol either as she won't want to drink.

How about some nice healthy snacks and/or a fancy basket of fruit? You've already bought baby stuff so I'm sure it's just your company and offers of help that they need.

Nortsat46 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:02:36

Congratulations.

I think Molton Brown is a safe bet for toiletries. Nicely fragranced bath gel, body lotion, hand wash etc. The fragrances are not overpowering, not too floral and the bottles are quite plain.

I hope you find a lovely solution to your happy dilemma ?

Silver14 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:24:02

I took my DiL something for herself, bath stuff, sounds lovely, I also took cakes, snacks etc and she said after they were brilliant as when visitors popped in she had something to offer!!! We also bought a takeaway when we visited it was no mess for them and instant good when needed!!

Silver14 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:24:42

Food!!!!

curvygran950 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:25:30

How about a voucher for a professional photo of your lovely new grandchild and his parents ?