Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What should I take ?

(34 Posts)
JuliaM Wed 12-Feb-20 11:30:44

Maybe pamper them whilst you are there by ordering in a takeaway meal of their favourite foods, let them decide what they fancy at the time, and you pay for it on arrival, I’m sure that they would appreciate it.
A nice cake or some Luxury biscuits as a celebration, along with a bottle of Champagne, or speciality Teas and Coffees, plus some pretty flowers may be welcome too, but your most useful gift would be your offer of help with the day to day household chores, or running errands, a bit of shopping or even answering the door whilst the new Mum rests with her baby may be welcome, but best to ask first. Be careful regards buying toiletries as a gift however, l once did that as a wedding gift along with some very nice towels for a girl l worked with, and she was offended by it, saying ‘ are you trying to say we both smell?
Congratulations on becoming a Grandma, enjoy!

Kittye Wed 12-Feb-20 11:22:58

Yes definitely something for your DIL. I think the suggestion of bath products is a lovely idea. We all love to be pampered?

vampirequeen Wed 12-Feb-20 11:22:34

Definitely a gift for the parents esp. mam. My aunt bought me a lovely bunch of flowers rather than a gift for the baby because she said I was the one who'd done all the hard work and deserved a reward grin

M0nica Wed 12-Feb-20 11:21:48

Yes, DDiL really appreciated having a box of her favourite lavender scented Occitane bath products after DGD's birth.

rosenoir Wed 12-Feb-20 11:18:07

My daughter is 43 , I received many gifts for baby but the only gift I remember from when she was born was from an uncle, it was a lovely set of bath products for me.

Greyduster Wed 12-Feb-20 11:06:50

I agree, something for your DiL. You will spend the next umpteen years showering your grandchild with gifts, believe me! I remember when my last child was born, a neighbour I didn’t know particularly well brought a gift for her, and a box of gorgeous Roger and Gallet sandalwood soaps for me. She said people tend to forget all the hard work that goes into a birth once the baby is home! I was very touched. Many congratulations to you and your family.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 12-Feb-20 11:00:33

Something nice for your DIL, would be a very nice gift.

Bellanonna Wed 12-Feb-20 11:00:14

Nothing else for the baby. Maybe a bottle of champagne or prosecco? And many congratulations. How lovely that they have invited you to stay.

Lizzle10 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:56:49

My first grandchild was born on Monday smile and my son and his girlfriend have invited me to stay with them this weekend. I have already bought the car seat , clothes and Moses basket and they have so much stuff they have gone mad buying bless them . I don’t know whether I should turn up with a present for the baby or buy them something as a new parent gift and what do you buy ? It’s no good cooking a meal and taking it I have a 3 hour journey and I don’t think they would appreciate it really . Any suggestion please x