Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Aspergers

(29 Posts)
Newquay Wed 12-Feb-20 11:22:44

I have a friend in her fifties, intelligent, well spoken, but the minute she starts to speak you know something “isn’t quite right”. She has no family in this country.
She holds down temporary bank work. Can’t seem to get full time work.
She keeps going to interviews all over the country. When she’s told she hasn’t got the job she rings for feedback and they always say she interviewed well but lacks experience ( which she knows she does in posts she’s applying for). So therefore thinks she will get a post-and, trust me, she’s most unsuitable.
Sigh! I say “enjoy your day out”. She’s so unrealistic.
So sad that noone’s ever pointed it out to her so she can make allowances but she genuinely thinks it’s everyone else!

M0nica Fri 14-Feb-20 09:29:04

welbeck Don't - assume that because someone is awkward and difficult they might be 'Aspergic'. By using a word like that you show that you clearly have no understanding of what autism or Aspergers Syndrome is.

The lady you describe just sounds like a fairly normal and ordinary difficult and selfish person to deal with. These people exist everywhere and do not need, and certainly should not have, labels attached them that describe a very specific and precise disability.

As you say, why do you not standup for yourself? People as you describe thrive on bullying other people wo will not stand up to them. The answer is simple.

Alexa Fri 14-Feb-20 10:00:38

Monica wrote:

"The lady you describe just sounds like a fairly normal and ordinary difficult and selfish person to deal with.
is being self absorbed"

I self absorption a sign of autism?

M0nica Fri 14-Feb-20 10:26:29

No, self absorption is not a sign of autism. My limited knowledge of autism suggests that autistic people are trapped in themselves, rather than specifically enjoying thinking of nothing but themselves and that is a very different thing and manifests itself in very different ways.