Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandma , Nana what other name options ?

(72 Posts)
Lizzle10 Thu 20-Feb-20 08:29:45

Had an amazing weekend visiting my first grandson who’s just a few days old , my DS and DIL have asked what I’d like to be called . I wanted to be nanny but DIL mum is going to be that so they don’t want two nannys . I don’t fancy grandma I thought maybe nana , I’m sure he will cal me all sorts but I guess I need a ‘title’ . Any suggestions for something a little different plz

Framilode Thu 20-Feb-20 18:09:17

I am Shav and my husband is Boppa.

NannyJan53 Thu 20-Feb-20 18:40:46

See my user name smile

When they were toddlers I was Nanny Janny. Then Nanny Jan, now it is Nan.

Elrel Thu 20-Feb-20 19:08:57

15 year old has recently begun to put G’ma on cards and call me GeeMa too. I like it, I think it came from North America. My friend Barbara has always been Baba to her grandchildren.
I’ve no idea what my lovely GGD should call me, she goes for Nan, copying her mother.

Kittye Thu 20-Feb-20 20:09:52

I’m Nanna . My mum was Nanna and my grandmother was Nanna....Nannas all the way ?

Nansnet Fri 21-Feb-20 04:59:22

TrendyNannie6 ... Another Nannie & Grandad here!grin

My parents and in-laws were all Nannie & Grandad to my children, followed by their first names. And my grandparents, and great grandparents were all Nannie & Grandad to me. My husband & I are very proud to carry on the family traditions. We had no desire to choose anything different but, of course, whatever our little GD, who is just starting to talk, eventually decides to call us, we'll be delighted with!

Mamma66 Fri 21-Feb-20 07:10:55

I am Mamma. It wouldn’t have been my choice but is often used in my neck of the woods (Nottinghamshire). I didn’t like it at first but when the children hurl themselves at me shouting “Mamma” I think it’s the loveliest name in the world.

My lovely late Mum was “Gan Gan” to all of her grandchildren. She wanted to be “Granny” but the eldest child couldn’t quite manage it and “Gan Gan” stuck. She loved it. She thought they would grow out of calling her Gan Gan once they got to school age but it never did.

nannybaxter Fri 21-Feb-20 07:20:23

Nanny to my granson and nanny ella to my step granddaughter,but the ella bit will probably get dropped now as her nanny has sadly passed away.

Gingster Fri 21-Feb-20 07:27:37

I am Nanna as my mother was to my children ❤️. My husband is Gaga. I wonder why? ?

Urmstongran Fri 21-Feb-20 08:02:33

I chose to be Grandma. I love hearing it. The baby of the family sounds posh as she calls out ‘Grandmoor’! Himself is Grandad as at the time (two years ago next week for me too Harris27 ?) there was already Grandpa and Nana (my stepfather and dear mum) to our girls and it was easier for us both to be different names in our small family group.

Sadly our son in law’s parents were no longer with us when the grandchildren were born, almost eight years ago now. This has made me super determined to be my best grandmother self to these babies.

GrannyLaine Fri 21-Feb-20 08:15:51

Long before the arrival of grandchildren. my DD adopted a much loved Bengal kitten. When I visited, she would say to the cat 'Look, Granny's here!'

That's how I became Granny.

LullyDully Fri 21-Feb-20 08:26:26

Liz stick to what you feel happy with. Nana Liz sounds fine. I am Grandmar ( bad spelling GD). We are both G and G.

BlueSky Fri 21-Feb-20 12:00:27

We had preferred names when our first DGC was born but then he had his own special names for all the grandparents and we were more than happy with that!

agnurse Fri 21-Feb-20 21:02:51

Here are the ones I have heard:

Grandma
Nana
Granny
Gamma
Glamma
Nanny
Nan
Mame (pronounced Ma-MAY; French)
Oma
Nan-Nan
Munner (read this one in a book once; a little one chose this name for her maternal grandmother when she was little. Munner's husband was Poppie.)

BradfordLass73 Fri 21-Feb-20 21:45:46

Gramlyn grin

Madammim1 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:47:19

I'm little nanny and my mum is big nanny my mums husband is grandad rroar my stbxh is grandad and my partner is big willbob

Canalboatgranma Sat 22-Feb-20 13:44:05

I am officially Grandma, but unofficially I am called Angma by my granddaughter. I am sure one day she will learn to pronounce her G's. Her French grandparents are Mammi and Pappi.

annep1 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:37:31

I am granny to my young gc. To the older ones born much earlier I sign everything Gran but they insist on calling me Nan and Grandma. I don't like being called either.

I think Nonna is lovely .

maytime2 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:43:51

My name is Mamgu shortened to Mam. It is what I called my grandmother, and what my children called my mother. It is South Walian Welsh for Grandmother, Nain is North Walian.
Dadcu is grandfather, in the North they use Taid.
Although we are small country it is surprising how many words differ between North and South. We always were 2 different tribes. smile

flowersfromheaven Sat 22-Feb-20 15:54:16

I wanted to be called Granny or gran but my granddaughter shouts Nanan so its out of my hands,

harrigran Sun 23-Feb-20 09:26:32

I am Grandma and happy with that, DIL's mother wanted to be Granny.
GC never had a problem saying the word, when the oldest was about nine months old she greeted me with "Grandma" one day when I arrived to see her.
When they arrive at my house they shout "Grandmaaaa" as they come through the door, the most lovely sound in the world.

Lizzle10 Sun 23-Feb-20 09:53:51

Thank you so much for your replies , I will stick to Nana although as many of you say grandchildren find their own wonderful names for you