Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did you know you could googled using your GN name?

(120 Posts)
curvygran950 Tue 25-Feb-20 17:10:37

Am I the only person who didn’t know posters could be Googled?
I must be very naive indeed .

Cherrytree59 Tue 25-Feb-20 21:11:10

Chewy just googled you and forever posts from 2017.

Cherrytree59 Tue 25-Feb-20 21:12:01

Several not forever!!!

Marmight Tue 25-Feb-20 21:22:42

I’ve just Googled my name. Guess what it comes up with....? grin

Cherrytree59 Tue 25-Feb-20 21:25:00

Pensionpat I googled your moniker and there were several threads including one from 2016 that you had posted on.

FlexibleFriend Tue 25-Feb-20 22:21:54

Google mine and as I expected there's quite a bit about credit cards. I didn't see anything relating to me at all.

callgirl1 Tue 25-Feb-20 22:23:29

I`ll bet you can guess what`s listed for my name!

Marmight Tue 25-Feb-20 22:37:53

?

M0nica Wed 26-Feb-20 06:46:25

There are many and various M0nicas on the google pages for that name, none of them is me.

Is this an example of becoming invisible in old age? grin

vena11 Wed 26-Feb-20 06:53:22

Just googled mine I am an amplifier grin

ninathenana Wed 26-Feb-20 07:19:46

Googling my user name comes up with several of my GN posts and photossad

I know it's public forum but wasn't aware searching my user name would show my posts. As far as I'm aware nobody knows my user name anyway.

Lucca Wed 26-Feb-20 07:27:19

If you google your username followed by gransnet all your posts appear

Yehbutnobut Wed 26-Feb-20 08:03:40

Wouldn’t get very close googling mine!

Millie22 Wed 26-Feb-20 08:27:30

I've just checked and apparently I'm on a dating site.

Chestnut Wed 26-Feb-20 09:26:18

My user name just brings up endless delicious recipes! ?
I've no problem with that. ? I've been careful not to put any identifying names or locations as I'm extremely wary of the internet and its search capabilities!

Buffybee Wed 26-Feb-20 10:04:10

Can't believe how many Buffybees there are, none of them me.
Buffy Bee honey and a Buffybee looking for a man, ? not me
honest!

annsixty Wed 26-Feb-20 10:11:34

Oh dear just googled mine and first up came many, many posts to and from me.
I am actually very shocked.
Only consolation is that no-one in RL knows my username.

Doodledog Wed 26-Feb-20 10:17:15

As Lucca says, you have to put Gransnet after your name, or you will just get all references to your user name.

If you do that, you will see a list of your posts, whether or not missing out 'Gransnet' links to other people or things. Try 'Chestnut Gransnet', or 'Buffybee Gransnet' and scroll down a bit.

It really only matters if you have posted identifying information, or if someone like the police has the authority to ask for your IP address (the string of digits that identifies your computer at the time of the post) and can link you directly to your posts.

That is highly unlikely to be a priority for the authorities though, unless you are posting about matters of national security on an open forum without protecting your computer grin.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 26-Feb-20 10:18:57

Just googled my username and it came up with more shopping sites than I knew existed. I am in heaven?

Fiachna50 Wed 26-Feb-20 10:40:50

Its a public forum, so Im careful what I put on it. I treat this, how I treat Facebook. If anyone bothered to google mine, theyd probably be bored witless. Im amazed at what information people put online nowadays, in particular on Facebook.

MerylStreep Wed 26-Feb-20 10:55:54

When will some posters realise that GN is not the virtual reality equivalent of your friends sitting room. It's a business.
I'm constantly astounded that people are using the internet and have zilch idea of how it works and how information is shared.

Elegran Wed 26-Feb-20 11:33:33

Yehbutnobut If you add "Gransnet" to Yehbutnobut you can see lots of your past posts.

Yehbutnobut Wed 26-Feb-20 11:44:18

Thank you Elegran.

felice Wed 26-Feb-20 11:46:19

Quite a few Felice on Google but none of them is me. It is quite a common French surname so that is to be expected.
If I Google my real name there are a few items and photographs which were in the public domain anyway.

rosenoir Wed 26-Feb-20 11:50:46

If you put gransnet in google and search images you can see all photos that people have put on.

People that know you will recognise rooms in your house ,pics of grandchildren and actual photos of meetups.

Bibbity Wed 26-Feb-20 11:51:41

The internet can be dangerous.
Not to scare mom her but one poster a few years ago was very open with information. I never interacted with said poster. However when bed bound one day I spent 10 min (maximum. That’s all it took)
And managed to find her GC address and then on google maps the house and from that was able to easily work out which school she attended.
It honestly took zero effort.