Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did you know you could googled using your GN name?

(120 Posts)
curvygran950 Tue 25-Feb-20 17:10:37

Am I the only person who didn’t know posters could be Googled?
I must be very naive indeed .

Elegran Thu 27-Feb-20 11:44:55

Interesting, ananimous that you think deleted posters vanish from the net - but I have just searched for two who I remember being not only deleted but banned, and posts from each of them turned up, variously from 2012 to 2016 (and probably more, but I didn't want to spend any longer looking at them)

Elegran Thu 27-Feb-20 11:48:49

Could you give a translation of "doxed" for those of us who haven't come across that word before? I know the adjective orthodox and nouns like paradox and doxy, but not dox as a verb.

ananimous Thu 27-Feb-20 11:51:08

Elegran I'm sure you know your way around a search engine by now.

Duh.

ananimous Thu 27-Feb-20 11:52:34

I think I am being cast as the EAC sometimes on GN... Lol!

ananimous Thu 27-Feb-20 11:53:33

...A chance fo the EGP/P to act out their unresolved anger issues on a "new" scapegoat...interesting.

Elegran Thu 27-Feb-20 11:53:43

Ah! Good old Google - now I know. - "Doxing, or doxxing (from "dox", abbreviation of documents), is the Internet-based practice of researching and broadcasting private or identifying information (especially personally identifying information) about an individual or organization."
Very relevant to the thread - and we now have a shorthand way of referring to the way everything we ever posted on the net reveals something about us to anyone who uses the net, whether we want that information out there or not.

Anything you say can be taken down and used against you. We could all be doxed at any moment!

ananimous Thu 27-Feb-20 11:54:21

There is no deleting from Jesus, y'know.

ananimous Thu 27-Feb-20 11:56:06

As in, Meryl had "doxed" a murderer - Elegran calm down it's only a commercial, lol!

ananimous Thu 27-Feb-20 11:59:32

Your latest rant is also there forever Elegran - not a good look for a granny, Lol!

Dear me, you bullies really cheer me up with your nonsensical way of thinking...

If you could put down your sword and shield for a minute, you would see that my posts were only to help clarify the situation. Lol! You do it to yourselves time and again.

Elegran Thu 27-Feb-20 12:00:26

ananimous - I found that while you were typing! The practice existed long before the jargon name, which is why I was savvy to the danger, but not to the in word to describe it.

I'm not sure what your other two posts were about - unresolved anger? EAC? If they were about my asking for a translation, you are reading a lot into a simple request. The unresolved anger is in your own mind.

I'd quite like to know who you "used to be" before you were you.

Elegran Thu 27-Feb-20 12:05:07

Hmm. "Latest rant" - you have been having a busy time with the search engine. I can't remember what that was about, but I am sure it was deserved. I try not to waste ranting energy on minor personal whinges.

curvygran950 Thu 27-Feb-20 12:16:14

Goodness.
What have I started?
I thought that this thread was going gently along with useful, interesting and sometimes witty information..

Elegran Thu 27-Feb-20 12:44:05

So it was, Curvygran but somewhere along the line it started being used for personal attacks. There are a few posters who find that a satisfactory way of posting - and accusing others of bullying is a common tactic, as it gets everyone's adrenaline going.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Feb-20 15:06:55

ananimous
If your referring to my naming of Ian Slater I think you'll find it's well documented that he went to prison for 24 years for murder last February

ananimous Thu 27-Feb-20 17:51:20

Life must be extra painful for some people...

Kittytella Mon 09-Mar-20 14:35:22

It might frighten some to know sites actually write articles about the threads here.

Here is one about a thread by user Aquamarine regarding difficulties with their adult child/ grandchild

startsat60.com/discover/lifestyle/grandparenting/grandparents-estrangement-adult-children-gransnet

Here is one about a thread by TalkingDead

startsat60.com/discover/lifestyle/grandparenting/grandma-worried-daughter-doesnt-trust-her-with-

One from a thread started by Philippa60

startsat60.com/discover/lifestyle/grandparenting/grandkids-kid-no-longer-need-you-gransnet

It’s very common. Posters beware!

Elegran Mon 09-Mar-20 16:07:58

It has even been suspected that journalists may have started controversial threads with the express purpose of getting comments fto illustrate their articles.

Doodledog Mon 09-Mar-20 17:48:42

Of course they do. I usually suspect when the first post just asks a question, with no background or context:

'What do grans think about X? I think something controversial. Do you agree?'

littleflo Tue 10-Mar-20 10:38:51

Google LittleFlo revealed a rude poem by Pete and Dud and sweet one about a baby.