Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My hair looks like straw :(

(23 Posts)
Deni1963 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:01:18

I have very light blonde dyed hair ( only ever touch up the grey roots), but its looking like straw although the texture isnt dry sad
Tried numerous products to no avail. Any suggestions please? I try to wash every other day or two, literally hairdry for seconds and use no other heating elements- any one have a suggestion? I'm 56 if that matters but hoping it's not an age thing.

Teetime Wed 26-Feb-20 11:08:35

Have you tried an oil? I find that best for this kind of thing. There are a number on the market many based on Moroccan oil or similar.

Nonnie Wed 26-Feb-20 11:14:26

I scorched my hair on holiday last year and have brought it back into condition by only washing twice a week and using Aussie products, conditioner you leave in for two minutes in the shower and then a spray conditioner you leave in. I also had my hair cut short and regularly trimmed which helped a lot. Not forgetting I take a hair, skin and nails supplement.

What does your hairdresser suggest? Mine said she had never seen anyone's hair as badly damaged as mine!

Gaunt47 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:14:31

Sorry, but it is an age thing!
Try not washing your hair so frequently and fingering some oil, or styling product through your hair before blow drying.

Deni1963 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:15:06

I have but found it weighted my hair down and made it look greasy ?

Roses Wed 26-Feb-20 11:22:10

Try Philip Kingsley elasticizer this really improved my hair after being on steroids for a long time and was recommended by a trichologist

Gaunt47 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:27:54

Denil try using less product and use a lighter oil? The Philip Kingsley Elasticizer Roses suggests is good.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:52:53

It could be the hair dye, mine is the same, I’m not blonde though, I’ve managed to stop hair washing every other day and it’s now every 5 days, ( unless I’m doing something messy) .
I find the only way to calm it down is hair straighteners. I tried every other way and although it’s using heating product I don’t think my hair will be ‘normal’ again until I stop having it dyed.
Gulp....

Daisymae Wed 26-Feb-20 12:11:09

I have been using Living Proof, sort of leave in styler. Works brilliantly, quite expensive but a little goes a long way.

KitKatt Thu 12-Mar-20 08:22:13

Do as said above, try morrocan oil. I would also say that argan oil is great for eliminating frizz too. I think that's definitely not an age thing, there are various factors that affect you hair.
If oil makes you hair too greasy then stick to hair conditioners only, using it twice per week should be enough to keep the look. Also what shampoo do you use? According to MyStraightener you could try using specific color enriching shampoo as well.

Missfoodlove Thu 12-Mar-20 09:31:36

Denil1963, Hi there, we are the same age, I also had this problem last year.
I was under the weather for some weeks and my hair took the brunt.
My hairdresser gave me an Olaplex treatment. It was worth every penny. Instant results.

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 10:07:30

My hair has become more dry and I find using an Argan oil, more than a couple of drops massaged in, and leaving it in for a short while before washing my hair seems to work well.

henetha Thu 12-Mar-20 10:59:56

My hairdressing grand-daughter told me to use a conditioner every time I wash my hair (about every 3rd day). So I do.
Also, don't use the same shampoo all the time. Have 3 or 4 different ones and rotate them.

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 11:07:23

I use different shampoos occasionally but generally find that Aussie shampoos suit my hair best

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 11:09:59

Deni a hairdresser told me that we tend to wash our hair far too frequently and she thought that once a week was best, perhaps twice.
Mine is always less 'strawlike' after a good cut even though I would prefer to grow it longer.

Madgran77 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:10:04

Argan oil is good ...leave on for 30 mins then shampoo off

seacliff Thu 12-Mar-20 11:23:32

Olaplex was good but expensive at hairdressers, but didn't last long. Phillip Kingsley didn't do much at all for my hair (thick, coarse, wavy).

Best results when hair is very dry for me is coconut oil. I get it from Superdrug, cheap. It is solid, so I warm the tub in a jug of water till melted a bit, then slather it on my hair. Brush through a bit. Then sleep on it, using an old pillowcase. Next day I shampoo off. It makes my hair shiny and swingy.

Nellie098 Thu 12-Mar-20 13:44:26

Some days I only wash my hair with conditioner and after a good rinse just blow try for a short period. I find shampoo too harsh to use all the time. Worth a try.

Eglantine21 Thu 12-Mar-20 14:11:50

Probably not enough fat/oil in your diet.

If you don’t want it in your food try omega three capsules, but you do need a certain level of fats in for good health generally and I prefer to get them in food rather than supplements, personally.

You’re hair is telling you something!

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 16:14:03

I do have fats in my diet, but yes, they are essential for healthy skin and hair as well as for general wellbeing.

welbeck Thu 12-Mar-20 16:34:19

stop dying your hair. that damages it. and is unnecessary.
also do not use hairdryer. just comb it through with a wide-tooth, or afro, comb while damp, possibly with some leave in conditioner, and leave it to dry naturally.
do not wash too often, 5-8 day gap.
and it is partly your age, hormone changes affect it.

annep1 Thu 12-Mar-20 16:35:31

I use Elvive low shampoo twice a week and conditioner every wash.

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 16:38:58

I agree, stop dyeing it smile

I did use henna on mine once or twice and it made the condition lovely although the colour was rather bright.