Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Weighted blankets?

(57 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 06-Mar-20 14:26:40

Does anyone have experience of these? DGS has sleep problems and, reading about these, they sound like a good idea. They're quite expensive though so before I splash out I thought I'd ask Grans.

NotAGran55 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:53:56

That’s a good result then Jane10

It’s good that the weight / size that you bought was suitable too for a youngster as it can be dangerous to use a blanket that is too heavy .

Jane10 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:27:03

It wasn't for me. However, my 9 year old DGS who's had lifelong sleep problems now sleeps right through happily snuggled in his Koala blanket. What a success its been!

NotAGran55 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:20:42

Jane10 How are you getting on with your weighted blanket?

Over time I am definitely sleeping better than ever with mine .
Not sure how it will be in the warmer weather ahead .

Jane10 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:22:03

Oh I hope they haven't sold out Sparklefizz. My order has been acknowledged and money taken. Supposed to be 3 day delivery.
I wonder where they are manufactured? I hope not China or Italy. DH's old business used to have items made there and imported. Problems now though. sad

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Mar-20 09:59:40

Koala have probably sold out because they are one of the best, and have come top of the reviews ..... plus I keep recommending them to all my friends blush

Mollygo Sat 07-Mar-20 23:57:47

My GS has one and sleeps better with it-also keeps him calm on long journeys. I can’t cope with weight in bed so it’s not for me.

NotAGran55 Sat 07-Mar-20 21:59:03

I ordered one from Koala and cancelled the sale when they said they couldn’t deliver it for over a month as they were out of stock . I was not amused as they had bombarded me with special offers , took the money but couldn’t fulfil the order .

I bought one ( cheaper ) from John Lewis . My sleep is vastly improved and I love the comforting feeling of it .

Doodledog Sat 07-Mar-20 21:16:20

I got one from Costco for about £50 and it is lovely. It has a washable cover with a 'minky' side (furry/velvety) and a smooth one, and the blanket itself ties inside it to keep it in place.

I put it over me with a duvet on top, and can throw back the duvet if I am too hot, which is rarely, as I like to sleep in a warm bed in a cold room.

I have heard people say that only the expensive ones are worth buying, but I haven't found this to be the case at all. The Costco one is good quality and the weights don't bunch or fall to the bottom. I shake it out when I change the sheets, and that's it.

I think they only do one size and weight, though, and you need to be sure that they are 10-15% of your body weight. I think that that will be particularly important for children, as they might struggle to breathe under one that is too heavy for them.

Willow500 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:19:46

Apparently my autistic GS in NZ has one and it definitely helps him sleep better.

Atqui Sat 07-Mar-20 14:35:15

I found a website called calming blankets which does different weights. Never heard of them til this thread.... Thanks. Might stop my Gd waking up every night. Good info and advice on the website too

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-20 13:37:31

What was the product that was suppressed Sussexborn? I wasn't looking at or for official review sites. I looked via twitter contacts and more open sources of info like GN.

Sussexborn Sat 07-Mar-20 12:57:22

If I get too hot I stick my feet out and that seems to cool me down.

Jane - we didn’t realise until GS1 ended up on a drip ? in Croatia that feedback can be removed if the supplier pays. Seems there was a massive problem in the area being covered up and a three month old baby ended up in hospital for weeks. I’ve been wary of feedback since then. Not sure if it applies to Trustpilot.

sazz1 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:50:47

Don't have a weighted blanket but I have noticed that I don't sleep very well at DDs home. She has very light but warm duvets. At home ours are the same Tog rating but heavier and thicker.

Sussexborn Sat 07-Mar-20 12:49:08

Would it work to use the kind of weights put in fancy curtains? We inherited some curtains that were weighted.

Just googled curtain weights and there are loads available.

I like weighty bed covers. Currently two duvets and a padded cotton bedspread! All the bedding is 400 thread cotton. We don’t heat the bedrooms either as I end up with a headache in the morning.

soos45 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:45:42

TLC Weighted blankets on Facebook

Thomas67 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:43:35

I got rid of mine because the heavy weight gave me cramp.

soos45 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:41:16

polnan I have a friend who makes them to order...I’m sure you could choose your preferred colour/ pattern

GreenGran78 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:34:58

I don’t even like a duvet, so would hate a weighted blanket. When it’s cold I have a sheet and cotton bedspread over me, with a lightweight blanket on top. Once I am warm the blanket gets tossed aside. I never have the radiator turned on in my room, even in the coldest weather.
For anyone who likes to feel cosy, though, these seem useful.

MTDancer Sat 07-Mar-20 12:28:23

Would be of no use to me. I like as light a duvet as possible

Phloembundle Sat 07-Mar-20 12:23:48

I couldn't possibly have anything heavy on my body as I sweat so much, but I have 5 layers on my feet because they get so cold. Maybe a weighted blanket at the end of the bed would work.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 12:16:14

For people who are not sure if they would like the sensation of being weighted down, it's worth testing by piling loads of blankets/quilts (if you have any) on the bed to see how you get on.

I did this and found that I slept better, so went ahead and ordered my Koala.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 12:14:24

HannahLoisLuke I also have a grounding sheet! It is great. I did a lot of research before buying one. It reduces inflammation and has meant that I no longer need pain-relieving creams and gels on my arthritic hands and feet.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 12:12:17

vickya No, you don't need a duvet. I use a top sheet and put the weighted blanket on top of that, but only because the blanket is heavy and I have no one to help me take it out of the cover it comes with in order to wash it (the cover).

Koala is the best make, in my opinion. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link.

It comes with a cover that is made of bamboo and lovely and silky on one side, and furry on the other side.

whywhywhy Sat 07-Mar-20 11:30:52

I have never heard of these and they certainly would have come in handy when I was ill before christmas as I just couldn’t get/keep warm. I’m going to have a look now. Thank you for letting us know.

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-20 11:26:40

vickya looks like the blanket fits inside the furry/silky cover.