Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Weighted blankets?

(56 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 06-Mar-20 14:26:40

Does anyone have experience of these? DGS has sleep problems and, reading about these, they sound like a good idea. They're quite expensive though so before I splash out I thought I'd ask Grans.

rosenoir Fri 06-Mar-20 15:08:02

I have not got a weighted blanket as such but have a heavy bedspread that I use in winter. It does feel lovely with the extra weight, I sleep better with it on.

Sparklefizz Fri 06-Mar-20 15:11:09

I started a thread on weighted blankets last year. I've got one and I love it!

NanKate Fri 06-Mar-20 15:48:04

My insomniac son has found it brilliant, so much so he got one for our grandson who now rarely wakes in the night. They are expensive but worthwhile.

Ohmother Fri 06-Mar-20 15:48:08

I too just have an extra blanket on top of the duvet in winter. Lovely!

Weighted blankets are great for hyperactive children...and nervous dogs!

Jane10 Fri 06-Mar-20 16:39:42

Right I'll press the button and order it. Apparently, if it doesn't help it can be returned within 60 days.

paddyanne Fri 06-Mar-20 16:42:46

I bought one for my daughter ,she's just started to use it after surgery yesterday ,so I'm not imagining great results just yet .She did say she felt much calmer under it which is a good start.

lemongrove Fri 06-Mar-20 18:26:10

Our autistic DGS liked his, when younger.??

Harris27 Fri 06-Mar-20 18:31:08

Very good for autistic children.

EllanVannin Fri 06-Mar-20 19:42:33

I've always gone to bed as though I'm going to the Arctic----and slept like a log. I sleep between merino wool blankets, have a feather quilt then a weighty Diane Cowpe candlewick bedspread, besides wearing fleecy pj's ! I don't move all night.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 09:09:17

A weighted blanket apparently works on the same principles as swaddling a baby.

polnan Sat 07-Mar-20 09:17:24

I must have read your previous thread Sparklefizz

I looked on the web as I don`t sleep well, but was just too confused by all the different weights and sizes.. and GREY,,, no colour choice,, I did see a sort of turquoise one, one of my favorite colours,, and then I like to buy British where I can,,
so in the end I just gave up,, just too confusing

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:21:00

I've ordered the Koala one. I researched it and there seem to be various cheaper ones but they're not as good. The Koala one is only in silver grey with one furry side and one silky side. Looks lovely and will go well with DD's colour scheme but if it helps DGS to sleep she'd be happy with anything!

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 09:23:24

Hi polnan, yes it is confusing. In the end I chose Koala and have been very pleased with it. There are cheaper ones but I read a number of reviews and the cheaper ones came out badly in that the beads which are used for weighting would all clump at one end, or whatever.

I use a top sheet and put the blanket on top as I can then change the sheet regularly and not have to struggle with the cover on the blanket which is heavy to manoeuvre.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 09:24:14

Post x'd with Jane10's.

Nannan2 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:43:14

Yes my DD bought one for grandson,hes 22& has autism, hes very insomniac,but hes much more settled with the weighted blanket than he used to be.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 09:46:09

I think they were first used for autistic children .... then those of us with insomnia cottoned on smile

Betty18 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:46:20

I’ve got one . It was expensive so a leap of faith to get it. But I find it well worth the money . It’s so comforting and does help me get to sleep better. I changed the cover though as it was too hot .

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 09:47:51

I changed the cover though as it was too hot .

In the summer I suppose you could just put it into an ordinary cotton duvet cover.

Nannan2 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:49:11

My youngest child(nearly 17) is very insomniac,he loves his Night Owl lightweight duvet(doesnt need a cover as its patterned) as he kept taking the covers off his old one- it was textures he didnt like, but he does sometimes put a smaller heavy blanket on top that i knitted for him in very chunky wool.

Nannan2 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:57:12

Ive always needed to have covers over,my younger grandson,6 is same,he likes to be wrapped up,even as a baby he loved to be 'swaddled'.- I dont have a duvet,i have 2 lighter bedspreads,(or throwovers?) And a light blanket over those if its winter.in warmer weather i can just have one lightweight bedspread over,but i must have something.

Camelotclub Sat 07-Mar-20 10:04:49

Personally I could think of nothing worse than that feeling of being smothered! I get hot in the night and like to kick off covers to feel cold again. Can't imagine these would be useful for women who get hot flushes. However, if they work for some.......

RomyP Sat 07-Mar-20 10:09:34

I find mine very comforting. Don't know if it might be a tad warm to use in the summer though, and weighing almost 15lbs, I do find it difficult to fold up to remove from bed when want to tidy or change undersheet. It took me a few nights to get used to it. It doesn't feel so heavy once you're lying under it. I hope you'll benefit from using yours Jane10. I've got quite attached to mine in only a couple of weeks.

Cymres1 Sat 07-Mar-20 10:28:09

My clever young friend made one for her autistic son (from a thing on Cheshire Autism Support group I think) and it was a big success. Must admit I won if any good for grownups with fibromyalgia. Any thoughts?

paddyanne Sat 07-Mar-20 10:36:10

Cymres1 thats why I bought one for my daughter ,she has severe anxiety issues and insomnia all related to her Fibro.I think...and I may be wrong that if she can help the anxiety and insomnia the fibro might be easier to cope with.

Sadly she has new conditions added on a regular basis,had surgery on Thursday for carpal tunnel on her right hand and has a biopsy for a gynae issue next week.If I could swap bodies with her I would in an instant,seems very unfair that I'm fit as a flea at 66 and she has all this to deal with at 41