Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My Daughter's Fiance

(40 Posts)
MarthaB Sat 07-Mar-20 20:26:43

My daughter, Fiona has recently become engaged to a man whom I just cannot stand! He often looks dishevelled and in general a smug b-----d! Any advice on how to talk some sense into her?

~ Yours, MarthaB x

Sussexborn Mon 09-Mar-20 00:17:54

If you make your objections known you’ll most likely fuel her protective instincts and make him seem more romantic. It would be sensible to invite him to your home. You might see a different side to him and find his “smugness” is an act because he realises you dislike him.

Eventually we have to trust our children to make their own decisions and accept they might make choices that we are not 100% sure of.

Tangerine Sun 08-Mar-20 23:53:00

I'd say nothing unless you know he is abusive one way or another.

maddyone Sun 08-Mar-20 23:46:08

grin well I guess she knows paddyanne.

paddyanne Sun 08-Mar-20 23:17:42

posted too soon,I wouldn't say anything to my daughter ,she however tells me he;s an arrogant wee sod

paddyanne Sun 08-Mar-20 23:15:46

He knows hes arrogant thats his saving grace...lol.In all honesty he does a very unique job and was the youngest person ever to do it so we let him off for his arrogance,he is a great dad too

maddyone Sun 08-Mar-20 22:58:50

Bags, I don’t think paddyanne would say that to her SiL, and she has found good points in him.

maddyone Sun 08-Mar-20 22:55:52

Martha, very sound advice from paddyanne.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 22:46:07

She will have to find out for herself.

Invite him round for meals as often as you can, she may see him differently in your home setting.
Never criticise him and be kind and nice to him.

May7 Sun 08-Mar-20 18:10:22

I agree its difficult to watch your children fall in love with someone you dont consider suitable but love is blind so they say. As a mother you just have to hope that you are wrong or be there to catch them when they fall. Hope this advice helps.
PS If you are not a genuine poster MarthaB then just ignore

Hithere Sun 08-Mar-20 17:10:08

Tell her congratulations!

Busbybag1 Sun 08-Mar-20 17:04:29

Why do users find certain posts to be made up. If this post is genuine and poor person is worried bout her intended SIL, why are you being mean?

GagaJo Sun 08-Mar-20 16:53:14

The OP has posted and run anyway so...

Baggs Sun 08-Mar-20 16:41:21

I would never say anything bad about him

paddyanne, doesn't "arrogant wee sod" count as something bad? ?

Tweedle24 Sun 08-Mar-20 16:37:46

If this is a genuine scenario, my advice would be to leave well alone. If you say anything against the new fiancé you will only drive them closer together and risk losing your daughter.

Keep out of it.

M0nica Sun 08-Mar-20 14:45:30

If this OP really exists, she sounds like the original MiL from Hell.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 10:13:51

Bathsheba self-isolation?

Witzend Sun 08-Mar-20 09:59:38

Hmmm, I well remember my folks disapproving very much of my dh (then an on/off boyfriend) and my mother telling me I’d never find anyone nearly as nice as a former BF to whom I’d given the old heave-ho.

Roll on a few years and dh was golden boy, and remained so ever after.

Bathsheba Sun 08-Mar-20 09:51:12

I thought half term was a couple of week ago? hmm

Missfoodlove Sun 08-Mar-20 09:45:15

Perhaps the disheveled look is all an act, some men deliberately look scruffy to conceal personality flaws.
Does he have a huge sense of grandiose?
Is he arrogant?
Perhaps he thinks he’s a strong leader and likens himself to an historic leader like Churchill.

Don’t worry too much it could be worse, thank the Lord she didn’t fall for a bearded vegan with a dodgy past and a huge chip on his shoulder.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Mar-20 06:57:37

Exactly monica the reason for my first post I apologise if Im wrong but I think the original poster is having a laugh

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 23:02:57

Is she pregnant?

Sorry to ask but it is important.

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 22:59:26

Princess Fiona meets a scruffy monster. Her parents don't like him, but he drags her down to his level and they live in the swamp.

M0nica Sat 07-Mar-20 21:47:40

I am not sure I believe this thread. I think it might be a have-on.

Loulelady Sat 07-Mar-20 21:42:06

She loves him. Why do you think?
Looks really aren’t the most important thing. Smugness is very unattractive, I agree, but what does he do that you judge to be smug? Is it just that he had different political or environmental views and doesn’t simply say “Yes Mrs B. No Mrs B. Never a truer word was said Mrs B”.
It really is in your interests to get on with him and build some sort of relationship. Don’t risk giving your daughter a piece of your mind. You haven’t mentioned financial or physical abuse, him not being your cup of tea is not worth the risk of your daughter and her future husband distancing themselves in the future leaving you out in the cold.
You have a lot to lose here.

sodapop Sat 07-Mar-20 21:37:47

No sadly we bastards will be uncorrected for life.