Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

So I've made this pie.......

(38 Posts)
phoenix Sun 15-Mar-20 16:45:31

Hello all, and good wishes.

As mentioned, I've made a pie ready for tomorrow's supper, chicken and leek, in case you were wondering!

Well, for random reasons, I've bunged carefully placed it in a different dish, different that is from the ones I would usually use. blush

It measures roughly 8" by 6" ( long and wide) and 3.5" deep.

The pastry at the bottom is thicker than the pastry on the top. (Don't ask why, it just is)

So, how best do it cook it to ensure that it's reasonably edible?

The filling is completely cooked, I have a fan oven (which cooks erractically, as indeed do I), but usually have to turn things round halfway through to enable even browning.

I want to make sure the pastry at the bottom of the pie is properly cooked, we are not at home to partially cooked, let alone soggy bottoms!

Thank you!

phoenix Sun 15-Mar-20 16:47:02

To, not do!

kittylester Sun 15-Mar-20 16:48:36

I'd place it on a pre-heated baking tray and do it at about 170 in my fan oven which is also erratic.

As it is larger than usual I would also invite your favourite gner to help eat it. (Thats me in case you are wondering!) grin

JackyB Sun 15-Mar-20 16:49:33

Did you bake the base blind before you filled it?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Mar-20 16:57:59

Cook it on a pre heated "pizza stone" if not your thickest/heaviest baking tray/sheet also pre-heated, good luck.

Pudding123 Sun 15-Mar-20 17:05:26

Definitely preheat your oven for around 15 minutes and put a baking sheet in at the same time ,then hope for the best and if it is soggy just eat the filling and the top pastry ?

rosenoir Sun 15-Mar-20 17:12:29

I would put foil on top once the top is cooked.

phoenix Sun 15-Mar-20 17:29:42

Nooo kitty it's smaller! It's the different dimensions that are causing concern!

Laughterlines Sun 15-Mar-20 17:36:23

It will be lovely. Enjoy it.

phoenix Sun 15-Mar-20 17:37:23

JackyB no, I didn't blushI might have done if it was a quiche/flan.

Funnily enough, Mr P will often enjoy a cheese, bacon and onion flan, but seems totally averse to quiche,confused

Daisydoes Sun 15-Mar-20 17:47:55

Oh @phoenix. My DH is the same.
We never have quiche, we have 'open top pies' aka quiche to anyone with a brain ?

Laughterlines Sun 15-Mar-20 17:50:37

Daisy does haha

grannyactivist Sun 15-Mar-20 17:55:26

Heat a baking tray in the oven before you put your pie on it, pop the pie into the oven with a double layer of foil, or preferably non-stick baking paper, on the top - cook it at 180oC (170oC if it's a fan oven) for about fifteen minutes then take off the paper and continue to cook for another 10/15 minutes.

That's my best offering - let us know how you get on. smile

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 18:11:56

Don't invite Mary Berry or Paul Hollywood round for dinner, just in case you have a soggy bottom.

Yes, preheated baking sheet, start on a high temperature for 5 minutes or so then turn down and, yes, baking paper or tinfoil on top is a good idea to stop it browning too much.

phoenix Sun 15-Mar-20 18:49:34

Thank you to all who have replied.

The pie is in a Pyrex dish, not sure if this helps?

phoenix Sun 15-Mar-20 18:54:50

It looks like this

Doodle Sun 15-Mar-20 19:12:25

So what’s wrong with soggy bottoms? I have one most of the time ?. Cook as per instructions of others. If it does not turn out as you like, send it to me as DH will eat anything.?

phoenix Sun 15-Mar-20 19:27:11

Doodle I can put up with a soggy bottom, but what if it was an undercooked bottomshock!

It's so small, yet deep, wish I could disassemble the damn thing and start again!

Doodle Sun 15-Mar-20 19:29:35

Yes I see what you mean but at least the filling is already cocked so you don’t need to worry about that. I would just bung it in and hope for the best or turn it upside down on a big tray and cook bottom up ?

Doodle Sun 15-Mar-20 19:30:14

Please excuse the cock up blush ‘‘twas not what I typed!

GrannyLaine Sun 15-Mar-20 19:34:18

phoenix I have no useful advice regarding your pie. Once I read the word 'Pyrex' I realised you were up the creek without a paddle. But I did just want to say how much your style of writing makes me laugh. I think I would like you very much IRL.

sodapop Sun 15-Mar-20 19:43:19

grin love the open top pie Daisydoes made me laugh,

sodapop Sun 15-Mar-20 19:47:24

Sorry Phoenix just asked my chef husband and he doesn't think you can avoid a soggy bottom as the pie is too deep. sad

Hetty58 Sun 15-Mar-20 19:52:17

I prefer to cook pies in metal containers. If it's not for vegans, I paint the bottom pastry with egg white, before the filling goes in, to stop any dampness sinking into the pastry.

A really good cheat is to just cook the pastry separately then assemble on the plate - works well for crumble too!

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 20:03:23

my chef husband
Do you hire him out?
I will do a swap for a few weeks, DH is good at DIY!

Yes, it would cook better in a tin.
It should be ok though because it will have to be cooked for longer, being so deep.