Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Virgin Atlantic

(35 Posts)
Toadinthehole Mon 16-Mar-20 17:24:11

I’ve just heard on the news, that Richard Branson wants all his virgin Atlantic employees to take three months unpaid leave during this corona crisis. Does anyone else think he should pay them? He’s supposedly worth 4 billion, and this would cost him around 35 million.

silverlining48 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:45:41

I seem to remember most of his businesses are franchises.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 17:41:46

Sticky fingers in many pies.

His cosmetics shops failed, didn't they?

Urmstongran Thu 19-Mar-20 17:37:42

It is very telling that the list of essential workers doesn’t include a single one of the 1%

BRILLIANT Whitewave‼️

Richard Branson comes across as twinkly eyed and avuncular. I think he’s a hard headed businessman who through very tight legal deals holds the NHS to ransom. I’ve never met the man but I don’t like him. Greedy doesn’t begin to describe his character!

silverlining48 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:36:46

Certainly RB is mega rich and could surely pay his staff half rate while they are laid off. No brownie points there then and as for asking for money to bail out his airline, words fail.

Daisydoes Thu 19-Mar-20 17:35:55

Shame on him. He could pay all of his staff for 6 weeks and not even notice the loss. Would probably just be interest anyway!
Have no love for easyJet, but heard him being interviewed on R4 this morning. They are legally obliged to payout and are looking for a loan, not tax payers money.
Apparently.?

notnecessarilywiser Thu 19-Mar-20 17:27:30

Just to clarify - the staff have been asked to take 8 weeks unpaid leave, but the deduction will be spread over six months. Difficult, but not as draconian as you suggest, OP

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 16:52:13

Not to mention gorgeous EllanVannin.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Mar-20 16:52:09

It is very telling that the list of essential workers doesn’t include a single one of the 1%

TerriBull Thu 19-Mar-20 16:48:00

When our children were young we flew across the Atlantic a few times with Virgin they were very good, particularly with children. Son and girlfriend had booked flights with them for May, he doesn't think they'll get their money back now air travel has been halted for the time being. I personally haven't flown with them for a while, last long haul flights were with BA, don't like them either anymore.

RB, has always come across to me as a smarmy git with a tad too much of the false bonhomie, not to mention the omnipresent grin, can't he wipe it off, just occasionally, Michael O'Leary manages to look a miserable git suitably serious most of the time. Somehow the teeth ooze insincerity all on their own, plus he's always full of himself hmm

Our flights of late have been to Europe and we have been using EasyJet who have been excellent. Do hope they survive this crisis.

I feel very sorry for the Virgin staff asked to forego pay. Is RB so cocooned he thinks his staff have access to "family" money to keep them going shock

In the meantime, I'll join the club, another phobic flyer here.

endlessstrife Thu 19-Mar-20 14:41:04

A friend of my son used to work for Virgin Atlantic. She said she met Richard Branson once, and he was most unpleasant. I said he’s always seemed really kind and caring. She said he has a great PR team who work hard to make him appear this way! Not any more by the sounds of it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:34:23

The boss of Easyjet has just asked for a bailout.

Allegedly they are paying out £170 million in dividends tomorrow???

Roses Thu 19-Mar-20 14:08:14

Shame on you Richard Branson

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-Mar-20 13:56:36

Yes he should pay them if Home bargains can pay their staff so can that money grabbing bastard.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 13:38:45

Staff on Singapore airways take some beating for their courtesy, respect and general assistance. They're lovely.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 13:36:31

What a minge-bag ! Typical of those with their billions.
The interest alone would pay the staff's wages !

eazybee Thu 19-Mar-20 12:59:42

I don't know how airline staff are employed, whether permanent, short term or temporary seasonal contracts.
Is this a way of saying your jobs will be there when this is over?
Of course he should fund them, in the short term at least.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 12:29:12

I'm better on a plane because I am not a pilot.

But with another driver, if they take risks I would not, my foot is on the imaginary brake!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:13:52

Me to Callistemon grin

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 12:01:51

That's probably why I'm a back seat driver (or front passenger seat) GrannyGravy

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:34:53

Mr.GG and I followed our BA Captain up the stairs on Boarding once........I was crying, and a bit "shaky" and he took time to speak to me. He then asked Mr.GG if I was a bit of a control freak at home/work I am, as apparently we are the worst fliers as we are not in control

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 11:27:38

It's awful, isn't it? I haven't really got a strategy. I've been better lately but was a mess coming home this time. I think all the CV anxiety fed the flying anxiety and I was pathetic.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:15:13

Gagajo I also have a fear of flying. Have been petrified since my first flight aged 11.
Have got my own little coping strategy, used to find it difficult flying with the children on my own (family spread round the world).
One of the worse flights was a Virgin trans-Atlantic with DD aged 9, so much turbulence. The Cabin Crew kept her occupied whilst another helped to calm me, I will never forget their kindness.

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 10:57:49

I agree, GG13. I have a flying phobia (which is ironic for someone that works overseas) and the Virgin staff are the nicest of any airline. Although I've found Easyjet staff can also be very nice.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:56:24

It is a shame as the Virgin long haul cabin crews are some of the friendliest and most efficient I have ever encountered, nothing is too much trouble.

I expect Richard Branson and his immediate family are safely ensconced on Neckar!!!

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:32:50

I have only flown Virgin Australia.
If he can't look after his staff with all the billions he has then I will not be adding to his profits again.

Even if he cannot realise assets quickly, I expect he has enough in his petty cash to pay them all.

I hope they find other jobs and leave him in the lurch when all recovers.