Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Virgin Atlantic

(34 Posts)
Toadinthehole Mon 16-Mar-20 17:24:11

I’ve just heard on the news, that Richard Branson wants all his virgin Atlantic employees to take three months unpaid leave during this corona crisis. Does anyone else think he should pay them? He’s supposedly worth 4 billion, and this would cost him around 35 million.

endlessstrife Thu 19-Mar-20 09:31:39

Of course he should, but how do you think he got so rich in the first place?.....by exploitation!

cornergran Thu 19-Mar-20 09:38:44

Oh goodness, thats a big ask, three months without pay is a long while for anyone. Its business versus the needs of people.

nahsma Thu 19-Mar-20 09:39:28

Branson also seems to have failed to offer the NHS the use of his private hospitals. And he's begging for government aid for his airline. Compare and contrast with Manchester footballer (Neville?) who is closing his hotels, offering them free as emergency facilities to the NHS and paying his staff to stay home for the duration.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 09:43:58

When this is over I intend to use all my Virgin Airmiles as soon as possible and then never go near anything under the Virgin Umbrella again!!!

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 09:46:29

One month without pay is almost impossible for most ordinary working people .

RB would gain a huge amount of Brownie points if he did pay his employees (even half their wages) . I wish I were in the position to do so.

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 09:48:04

What an a**e. I've always flown Virgin, long haul. The staff always say their working conditions aren't great.

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 10:03:23

He should be ashamed.

Auntieflo Thu 19-Mar-20 10:23:15

If he will not pay his staff, he should not get aid from the government.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:32:50

I have only flown Virgin Australia.
If he can't look after his staff with all the billions he has then I will not be adding to his profits again.

Even if he cannot realise assets quickly, I expect he has enough in his petty cash to pay them all.

I hope they find other jobs and leave him in the lurch when all recovers.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:56:24

It is a shame as the Virgin long haul cabin crews are some of the friendliest and most efficient I have ever encountered, nothing is too much trouble.

I expect Richard Branson and his immediate family are safely ensconced on Neckar!!!

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 10:57:49

I agree, GG13. I have a flying phobia (which is ironic for someone that works overseas) and the Virgin staff are the nicest of any airline. Although I've found Easyjet staff can also be very nice.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:15:13

Gagajo I also have a fear of flying. Have been petrified since my first flight aged 11.
Have got my own little coping strategy, used to find it difficult flying with the children on my own (family spread round the world).
One of the worse flights was a Virgin trans-Atlantic with DD aged 9, so much turbulence. The Cabin Crew kept her occupied whilst another helped to calm me, I will never forget their kindness.

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 11:27:38

It's awful, isn't it? I haven't really got a strategy. I've been better lately but was a mess coming home this time. I think all the CV anxiety fed the flying anxiety and I was pathetic.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:34:53

Mr.GG and I followed our BA Captain up the stairs on Boarding once........I was crying, and a bit "shaky" and he took time to speak to me. He then asked Mr.GG if I was a bit of a control freak at home/work I am, as apparently we are the worst fliers as we are not in control

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 12:01:51

That's probably why I'm a back seat driver (or front passenger seat) GrannyGravy

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:13:52

Me to Callistemon grin

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 12:29:12

I'm better on a plane because I am not a pilot.

But with another driver, if they take risks I would not, my foot is on the imaginary brake!

eazybee Thu 19-Mar-20 12:59:42

I don't know how airline staff are employed, whether permanent, short term or temporary seasonal contracts.
Is this a way of saying your jobs will be there when this is over?
Of course he should fund them, in the short term at least.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 13:36:31

What a minge-bag ! Typical of those with their billions.
The interest alone would pay the staff's wages !

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 13:38:45

Staff on Singapore airways take some beating for their courtesy, respect and general assistance. They're lovely.

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-Mar-20 13:56:36

Yes he should pay them if Home bargains can pay their staff so can that money grabbing bastard.

Roses Thu 19-Mar-20 14:08:14

Shame on you Richard Branson

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:34:23

The boss of Easyjet has just asked for a bailout.

Allegedly they are paying out £170 million in dividends tomorrow???

endlessstrife Thu 19-Mar-20 14:41:04

A friend of my son used to work for Virgin Atlantic. She said she met Richard Branson once, and he was most unpleasant. I said he’s always seemed really kind and caring. She said he has a great PR team who work hard to make him appear this way! Not any more by the sounds of it.