Do you remember foam backed coats???

H1954 Fri 20-Mar-20 08:42:05

This might sound bonkers but I woke up this morning thinking about clothing in the very early 60's. I have a very clear memory of foam backed coats; our parents used to take us to C&A every autumn for a new coat. Do you remember them? Did you have one?

gillybob Fri 20-Mar-20 08:47:58

Yes H1954 In the late 60’s I had a purple tweedy coat (with a real fur trimmed hood...yuk) with a kind of foam in between the outer and inner layers. I remember the pocket had a hole in it and I could pull the bits of foam out .

H1954 Fri 20-Mar-20 08:52:55

Oh my! There must have been a design fault on pockets; I had a hole in mine and I used to pick at the foam too! 🤣🤣🤣

heavensjoys Fri 20-Mar-20 08:54:32

This made me smile H1954. I had a royal blue boucle coat, which was foam backed, too. I think mine may have come from C and A (Coats and ‘Ats). Such lovely memories of a greatly missed store.

Shrub Fri 20-Mar-20 09:02:29

Yes, I had one which I loved. It's outside was black and the lining was white. But it soaked up all the cigarette smoke from the bus going home in the evenings! My mother was convinced I had taken up smoking.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Mar-20 09:04:19

Yes! As a young teenager I remember going to London with mum and buying one from C&A in Oxford Street

GrandmaKT Fri 20-Mar-20 09:13:33

Yes! I had a green foam-backed coat that I wore to school. In fact I think it was foam all the way through. One day the dog got out and followed me to school and got run over. I remember carrying him home (I was 7) and the coat being soaked with blood. (Sorry to anyone reading this whilst eating breakfast). The dog had a broken leg, but made a good recovery btw.

gillybob Fri 20-Mar-20 09:16:46

Mine was from C&A too Whitewave . My sister and I always had to have matching coats despite the 5 year age gap and it was very embarrassing. Mine had real fur round the hood (horrible I know) but my sisters had imitation woolly stuff.

Brunette10 Fri 20-Mar-20 09:23:49

If I remember rightly my DM had a coat like this, I remember it clearly and she suited it so well.It was beige with a big collar on it. My DS and I had what we called 'duster' coats. Bright yellow cotton with pink embroidered collars. I remember skipping to Sunday school with it on and loved it.

Chewbacca Fri 20-Mar-20 09:28:43

Yes! My mother had a green and black tweed foam backed coat with a black fur collar; again from C & A. I remember that it smelt funny when it got wet. My sister and I had similar duster coats to Brunette and they were kept "for best", which was Sunday school and the Whit Walks.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 09:49:23

I had a very smart black and white check one which I wore to a winter wedding, complete with a hat and very high heels. I think I wore a shift dress underneath.

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 09:50:45

It seemed smart at the time grin

JaneA Fri 20-Mar-20 09:53:13

Yes, I had a pink one. I loved it.

NanaandGrampy Fri 20-Mar-20 09:54:34

You shopped at the same place as us H1954 .

I have vivid memories of our ‘best ‘ coats one year , mine was bright cerise pink and my sisters was electric blue ! They were our Sunday best coats , foam backed and could actually stand up on their own when you took them off.

Worn with black patent shoes! We thought we were fabulous lol

CedarC Fri 20-Mar-20 09:59:21

Didn't have a coat but I remember having a foam waist petticoat at the time when we were all wearing skirts with lots of petticoats. I can't have been the only one.

Glosgran Fri 20-Mar-20 10:01:49

Yes, I remember mine, it could almost stand up on its own and had a bit of a smell (guess it was similar to the fumes given off by memory foam these days).

Willow500 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:12:15

My wedding outfit - a pink dress and coat - was made of that sort of foam backed material. It was stiff and didn't crease at all but looked quite nice.

Camelotclub Fri 20-Mar-20 10:15:05

If it's foam they're probably not up to BS standards now! Personally I don't remember them.

Gaunt47 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:18:09

Yes, I had a brown 'suedette' almost knee length jacket in the early 60s. Can't remember what happened to it, probably fell apart!

kazziecookie Fri 20-Mar-20 10:30:33

I had a blue foam backed coat when I was about 9/10 year old. I was attacked by a dog on my way home from school and the quite thick foam in the sleeve saved my arm from been too badly bitten when the dogs teeth tore right through it.
Luckily I managed to escape with just a few puncture wounds.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:34:38

Strange, I don't remember them at all, and nearly all my clothes for wearing out of school hours were bought at the C&A.

Grandmamaoftwo Fri 20-Mar-20 10:43:41

Yes, I had one. It was blue and instead of a collar it had a long scarf in the same colour with a faux leopard pompom on the ends that I could swing about. Being foam lined the coat didn't swing, it hung like cardboard grin

JuliaM Fri 20-Mar-20 10:51:21

My Mother had an imitation Sheepskin coat that was Bri-nylon brushed effect on the outside and foam backed imitation fleece on the inside. She didnt wear it much as she said it made her sweat too much, so she gave it to me when l was expecting my first Daughter, after my usual coat no longer fitted over my Bump through the winter just before she was born!
Eventually l donated it to our new puppy as bedding, until it was well and truely chewed around the edges and it finally went into the Bin!

Disgruntled Fri 20-Mar-20 10:52:01

Yes! Awful - a bright red one that could have stood up on its own.

shysal Fri 20-Mar-20 10:56:15

Yes, I had a royal blue one with a narrow strip of dark fur at the neck. It kept its shape really well.