Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

dogs and virus

(7 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:40:16

rosenoir I opened a thread on this subject yesterday, we concluded that if somebody wore a fur coat into your home, you could catch something from it unless the owner was self isolating, the same as you.
our DD strokes her dog, touches her nose and paws, so we assume that the virus could be on her as Dd isn’t isolating.

It wasn’t anything to do with a dog harbouring the virus and being a carrier.

rosenoir Mon 23-Mar-20 12:15:41

If somebody with the virus stroked the dog and then you stroked the dog I assume it is the same as shaking unwashed hands or touching things without cleaning them first.

Doodle Mon 23-Mar-20 11:20:16

Doctor / scientist woman on with Boris last night said dogs would be ok.

blondenana Mon 23-Mar-20 11:19:28

NO no no, dogs are quite safe to touch and walk,
There have been people dumping dogs,--and cats because of rumours
I have cats and stroke them as usual, i don't have a dog now,but if i did i would still stroke here and cuddle her and walk her

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:17:32

Civit cat! They might even be civil?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:16:56

Absolutely no evidence that all that dogs transfer or catch the virus.

Scientist still don’t know but suspect it was transferred from bats.

SARs was transferred from the civil cat

MER from camels.

Guess whose doing a course about Coronavirus???

undecided Mon 23-Mar-20 11:14:12

Does anyone know for sure whether dogs can transfer the virus? I have a dog and have a dog walker who usually walks him and keeps him with her for a few hours whenever I ask. I live on my own and before all this I used to go out frequently and did not like to leave the dog on his own for more than a couple of hours. However, now with all this virus my kids tell me that I should stop this routine as dogs may be able to transfer the virus. But, I was thinking that my dog walker also needs the money so was wondering whether to keep her on but less often. I am self isolating so not going out but do not think I can offer the dog as much excercise as the Walker can.