Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Booooored

(135 Posts)
CathTheWise Wed 25-Mar-20 06:58:30

Self-isolation was a nice thing for me from the very beginning and I had lots of things to do around the house but now it seems like there is nothing to do for me as all the cleanings, re-organazings and other things are done.
What are you doing while isolating?

HurdyGurdy Wed 25-Mar-20 13:53:19

You could sign up to the call to arms for NHS volunteers

Even those who can't help physically, can get involved with phone calls to the very lonely etc

www.england.nhs.uk/2020/03/your-nhs-needs-you-nhs-call-for-volunteer-army/

Mollyplop Wed 25-Mar-20 13:53:46

Thanks to the wonderful weather I've spent lots of time in the garden. Also spending time with my ponies, which has been a great consolation. Really missing the grandchildren though.

Laughterlines Wed 25-Mar-20 13:55:23

Got used to being bored in school history lessons and detentions where we had to sit still with arms folded for one hour. This is a walk in the park. I can also nod off as many times as I like without feeling guilty.

I can spend the day on GN that takes up an hour or six.

One day this will be over, planning to go wild when it does.

Take care of yourselves, we can do this x

Urmstongran Wed 25-Mar-20 14:16:05

I can’t believe it’s only 25th March ....
?

The clocks go forward this weekend. That’ll be nice.

Llamedos13 Wed 25-Mar-20 14:19:16

I’m sewing face masks to be handed out to anyone who needs one as our stores are all out. It passes the odd hour?

Cymres1 Wed 25-Mar-20 14:19:48

You brilliant lady, I laughed so much my other half wondered what I was on. Thanks so much!!

Henny2020 Wed 25-Mar-20 14:51:38

My plan for staying in was to sew more, read more, take up dressmaking again (after 30 years) stretch two pieces of needlepoint from 20 years ago and make into cushions, and try again at needle felting.
Also to sort and scan 100s of photo slides that my dad took in the 60s and 70s
However - the garden needs doing - seeds to plant, perennials to divide - and the front garden needs a complete redesign.
Other half wants to repaint the hall, stairs, landing.
Today - I have finished delivering postcards to "my" street for the local Covid19 community support group.
I have dealt with numerous emails (I am a district councillor!)
Been for my exercise walk and delivered some eggs to a family member who is self isolating.
I still need to clean the bathroom, get some laundry on, quick clean out of the chickens, order some wine ... and I have an important Skype call at 5.30
I seem to have less free time than normal!

123kitty Wed 25-Mar-20 15:16:40

Llamedos13, that sounds useful, can you give us some 'how to' details please.

Ellie Anne Wed 25-Mar-20 15:33:22

I intended to walk every day but can’t seem to get the motivation.
I’ve finished some cross stitch and a bit of tidying.
Crossword and sudoku every day.
Books and tv.
Had a silent migraine today, first in a while, maybe caused by stress.

garnet25 Wed 25-Mar-20 15:54:31

No time to be bored, long walk every day. whats App groups to keep up with, emails to write, gardening, and most important of all writing to 5-year-old granddaughter every other day.

Jishere Wed 25-Mar-20 15:56:08

I read this with delight that most or all of you are keeping busy and finding ways to do this safely. I'm a key worker so no such chance for me.

I'm hoping that all would refrain from using the word 'bored or boring' simply because the NHS are working tirelessly to help those that get this virus and They look exhausted and scared. If you really are bored say a little prayer for all the Nhs workers and hopefully those and other key workers that are trying to protect the most vulnerable.

The word bored as got a luxury for alot.

aonk Wed 25-Mar-20 16:02:36

Before anyone reminds me I have so much to be grateful for in my life and I truly appreciate every single thing. However I have no interest in any of the activities which seem to occupy others so well. I don’t like exercise, family trees, gardening, housework, crafts, decorating. I can just about tolerate cooking, tv and reading. All this is too solitary and introspective for me. All my interests involve going out and being with others. I know I will have to adapt but it’s early days and it’s hard. In the meantime I’m going for walk each day even though it seems pointless and trying to complete a couple of basic tasks.

Bluecat Wed 25-Mar-20 16:08:40

I am not bored although, to be honest, I do nothing. Mess around on the Internet or read. Never really liked housework....

I am, however, missing family so much. DD had a baby yesterday - Beatrice - and I long to be able to cuddle her. Already missing the visits from her sisters and now can't hold her. On the way home from hospital yesterday, they stopped and held her up at the end of the drive so we could see her. There's WhatsApp and photos but it's not the same.

One day this will be over. I hold on to that thought.

Jane10 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:16:18

Oh Bluecat that's so sad. Lovely that they let you see her even at such a distance.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 25-Mar-20 16:29:34

Plenty to do and avoiding to much housework if I can. Went for a 6 miles cycle ride today. Had a sleep when I got back, did a bit of the jig puzzle,. I have also got a pile of books to read, the garden now has a veg patch, so there is a job there. Chatting with neighbours out of the bedroom window and catching up with the tv. No boredom here. Stay happy

Ellie Anne Wed 25-Mar-20 16:36:07

Aonk I am also missing my usual activities and meeting with friends. I can occupy myself at home but because I have a difficult relationship with husband I feel my escape route has been cut off.
Hopefully if we all do as we are told the isolation will not last too long.

CBBL Wed 25-Mar-20 16:38:14

Hubby and I struggle to walk, but our two cats keep us entertained. I have lots of housework to do (always). Hoping I will be able to do more soon, as I've just arranged to get more pain relief (I have arthritis in my feet, so cannot stand for long). Fingers crossed it will enable me to go for a walk, even though it means leaving hubby behind for a short time.

Llamedos13 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:52:45

123Kitty, there are patterns to be found on Pinterest, they are super easy to make, I cut up white pillowcases for mine and quarter inch elastic.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:00:33

I’m missing my family and friends not being able to give them a hug: but I am speaking every day texting actually much more than we ever did, I do sit and think I took so much for granted, being able to take off and walk anywhere or drive, but on the other hand I’m feeling safe inside, lots of cleaning reading, competitions listening to radio: tele, catching up on things I’ve missed that I taped, I’m certainly not bored though thankfully

Llamedos13 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:05:11

Cymres1, I’m puzzled why my post made you laugh so much?but happy to know I gave you a good laugh ?

morethan2 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:11:17

Oh I needed a laugh Abnuyc123 I’ve had a terrible day , so thank you.

Kim19 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:45:06

I have so many 'should have done' in my life that three months will do me fine. Mind you, I'm not making much of a reduction on the list so far. Trouble is motivation is required as well as time. I'm trying with a target of one little task a day and hopefully I will work up to the bigger more arduous ones. I can but dream......

M0nica Wed 25-Mar-20 17:48:55

I am another making masks but mine are going to be real and proper patterns but using pretty fabrics and ribbon decoration from my stash, for us to wear when out shopping. There are lots of patterns available online that you can print out.

I have also suggested to DGD that she does the same for her parents and brother and that we will compare masks during our Zoom meetings.

fourormore Wed 25-Mar-20 17:51:57

Abnuyc Another thank you. Part of me hopes you sober up soon but on the other hand what a wonderful place you are currently residing in!!! grin

Every 2 - 3 days I am emailing a 'joke' to a list of about a dozen friends and relatives who are vulnerable in one way or another. My 61yr old cousin has just been diagnosed with cancer. Her Mum (my aunty) is naturally very concerned but phoned me today asking me not to leave her of the list as they brighten her day.
I was really touched when she rang as I was concerned that it would be insensitive to send her jokes.
I will include yours in my list to be sent a a future date so thank you!

hollysteers Wed 25-Mar-20 18:41:57

There is no excuse for boredom if you have reasonable health. You sound like a six year old.
Can you not read books, take up something new online, write letters, keep a journal, exercise etc. etc? Have you never had a hobby?
There is a whole world online to access.