Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone else feel like this?

(62 Posts)
yorkie20 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:51:14

This isnt a recent thought for me...I live in a small property and the inside has no 'clutter' and everything is neat and tidy BUT the garage is quite full of boxes filled with 'things' I may need sometime in the future either at present home or possibly next home. So thats things such as vases, plant pots (decorative), candles, (decorative)etc etc What do you do with all these items? Deep down because I dont have any transport so its the bus for me when buying items I wonder if I think I wont be able to replace everything if and when I need to. Not sure if that makes any sense.........mmmm Right now Im thinking of donating all of it ...

NanTheWiser Fri 10-Apr-20 14:50:19

Very good point, Rosiebee (12.20.27). Charity shops will not want to be overwhelmed as soon as they open, and maybe some of the elderly volunteers might be a bit reluctant to go back in.
A couple of charity shops near me already have bags of donations sitting outside (which is basically fly-tipping), very thoughtless of the "donors".

Hetty58 Fri 10-Apr-20 15:05:09

I'm doing nothing at the moment, but in normal times I regularly leave things on the wall near the pavement.

Some people knock to ask if they can have them, others just take them. I like the thought of them having another home.

Anything of some value I'll take to the charity shop so that the proceeds go to a good cause.

MiniDriver56 Fri 10-Apr-20 18:43:07

My husband is a hoarder! Thankfully I don’t have any qualms getting rid of things! Mainly to charity shops - when they are open of course!

GreenGran78 Fri 10-Apr-20 19:41:09

Some areas of Australia have designated ‘verge days.’ One is for large garden branches etc. The other is for any discarded household goods.
Any unwanted things are placed on the grass verge, and people tour around to see what is on offer, and help themselves. No-one gets embarrassed about being a scavenger. At the end of the week the Council comes around and clears up whatever is left.
I think that it’s an ideal and easy way of re-cycling, which is helped by there being little chance of it being rained on. Obviously some of the items are grabbed by scrap-men, or to sell on, but no-one cares about that.
In spite of this system the charity shops seem to get plenty of donations too.

TwinLolly Fri 10-Apr-20 20:21:13

If you do decide to throw things out you can list them on Freegle or Freecycle in your area if you don't want to sell them. Anyone on Freegle that needs it can contact you and collect from your house (or for social distancing, outside your front door).

It might be a good thing to do so after lockdown ends though.

Daisyboots Fri 10-Apr-20 22:30:40

When we moved abroad 12 years ago we had a huge declutter selling some things, donating a lot to charity shops and giving things to friends and family. Plus we had 3 builder size skips of rubbish too. My DM came with us and it was surprising how much she accumulated before she died 6 years later. Charity shops are almost unheard of in Portugal but luckily I met a lady who was doing a lot to help people who had lost their homes or income so she took a lot. But I still have her cardmaking stuff in a large drawer and have kept saying I should give it away to someone who makes cards. But with my health now I am so pleased I kept all her disability aids because I am using most of them. Late last year I decided to never buy any more clothes, shoes, boots or sandals again because I have more than enough to last me however long I have to live. But I think any clearing out will have to be down to the family when we are gone because I cant see my husband doing it somehow.
One word of advice please donate only the best things to the charity shops that you know are likely to sell. My son had some free time last year and did some volunteering at a large charity shop and the absolute crap some people to to the shop which was fit only for the tip. Being a man if someone handed him rubbish he handed it back with a polite we cannot sell this please take it away with you. One guy brought a load of saucepans etc and the frying pan still had fat in it. Although I am sure no Gransnetter would ever do anything like that.

sazz1 Sat 11-Apr-20 00:44:48

We moved last year but OH insisted on bringing things from his late parents home. We have around 130 miniature bottles that MIL collected along with various cheap tacky ornaments, a record cupboard with sliding doors, various records books etc etc. Some things I've sold for low amounts on ebay (less than £3 lol) others he won't part with yet. We still have 4 side tables etc etc. Add to that enough tools nails and screws to build about 3 houses. Can't wait for the charity shops to open.

moggie57 Sat 11-Apr-20 03:55:09

when this virus is over .have a garage sale? or some charities will come and pick items up,,dont save stuff till later .if its been there for a year get rid of it

Musicgirl Sat 11-Apr-20 11:20:29

We are now the proud possessor of a small skip, which should motivate us.

HettyMaud Sat 11-Apr-20 17:29:39

You can send some things to auction if they have a general sale rather than an antique sale. Job lots of ornaments, pictures or books will bring in some money after fees are paid.

Lucca Sat 11-Apr-20 18:21:17

My ex was a hoarder. Loved to buy things just because they were a “bargain “ and often bought two of everything. He used to get into a rage if I got rid of anything....eg old bits of washing machine etc etc.
Now I hate clutter and regularly get rid of unwanted items, and have a beautiful flat. I also think it is very unfair of our generation to have a houseful of clutter, what happens when we die? Why should our children have that to sort out.