Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is this breaking the rules?

(61 Posts)
BonnieBlooming Thu 09-Apr-20 16:56:05

We live in a rural area with our DD, SIL and 11 month old DGS a couple of miles away on the edge of our nearest village. Before lockdown we saw a lot of them and helped out with the wee one, in fact we were due to start minding him 2 days a week from this week as my DD was to return to work. Obviously this has all changed since Covid 19 and we mostly chat on facetime or they deliver stuff to our door and return to beside their car and we chat from the window.
Last Saturday they called and came round into our back garden. We sat on our decking with them on one side and us the other (at least 3 metres apart). Tea was of course offered, but they had brought their own drinks and buns! We chatted for about 30 mins and then they left. No hugs, no cuddles with the baby. All conducted at 3+ metres distance and outside.
We would love to repeat this visit this Easter weekend. Normally we would join them for lunch on Easter Sunday and then a trip out on the Monday and a picnic, but of course none of that will happen this year. My worry is that we are breaking the rules. I know this is a difficult time for everyone at the moment and many grandparents are finding it hard not to be able to be hands on with their GC. What do you think?

MiniMoon Sat 11-Apr-20 10:57:47

My husband has just been out to deliver food and Easter gifts to DD and family. Its just five minutes along the road. He left them on the doorstep and made his way home. Halfway back he was stopped by the police, and asked where he was going. They were satisfied with his answer, but told him to go straight there when he said he was going home.
Gosh, we never see a policeman innormal circumstances.

GrannySomerset Sat 11-Apr-20 10:26:47

We haven’t seen our GC since Christmas and don’t expect to see them for many months. GD1 (17) lamented that by the time she is able to see her friends again they will all be grown up!

NfkDumpling Sat 11-Apr-20 08:15:17

Ooo, if that’s a Waitrose substitution I’ll make a bigger effort to get a slot with them! As yet, I can’t quite make out how they work. I can see that they’re coming my way on Monday and Tuesday as those slots are marked full, but after that all the slots are unavailable. I assume if I keep checking this will change. I do wish all the supermarkets worked the same systems

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 20:08:33

Maw that is a wonderful substitution!!

Enjoy

MawB Fri 10-Apr-20 19:35:00

Thanks NfkDumpling - very kind - but there are plenty in the same position. And I intend to do all that I can not to spend the day moping.
Life is what it is and we are all in the same boat smile
I ordered a bottle of cheap (£6.99) pink Prosecco in this weeks shopping for Easter Sunday lunch.
Alas, Waitrose were out of it so they substituted a bottle of their own brand pink Brut champagne, in its place.. It normally retails at £26.99 a bottle but of course I was charged the lower price! smilesmile
So I think I will survive!

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Apr-20 18:53:58

flowers Maw

MawB Fri 10-Apr-20 18:37:04

ad. He wont know of course but we will! I will probably spend the day weeping. After lots of tough times hes the light of my life

What is the alternative? Daily death tolls exceeding the thousand mark? Lockdown until August?
You won’t be the only one to spend a day weeping, this will be my first Easter alone - no Paw no children ,no grandchildren - like Mothering Sunday was and there will be thousands in the same boat ?.

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Apr-20 17:56:11

My DD has just told me that her neighbour and another one further along her road have got their families round and the children are playing in the gardens and there’s lots of chatting and laughter.

She’s furious - AND SO AM I! I would love to be at her house with my DGD, but I’m not. I’d love for all my DC and DGC to be coming for their Easter Egg hunt this Sunday. BUT THEY’RE NOT!! Her DH didn’t want her (or me) to report them. Too very British not to want to make a fuss. angry angry angry

ElaineI Fri 10-Apr-20 13:55:30

Both my DD's are making a diary of things the children have done on lockdown (DGS1 writing a diary) - pictures, window pictures, things on Facebook that are good ideas, videos of clapping so that might be an idea for him. DGS2 had his 2nd birthday during lockdown so we have photos and video of that. DD's both feel this is a significant worldwide event in the lives of children and should have memories of it documented for them to share with their own children. Your DGS is very young but could make handprints in paint and dough? We all painted our hands on card, wrote messages on them and attached arm span ribbons then posted them to DD1 so the children can wrap them round as a hug from us. They will go in the memory box later. That was an idea from the Facebook Lockdown group.

ElaineI Fri 10-Apr-20 13:43:14

It's bending the instructions that say do not see or visit family members who do not live with you and is probably putting yourself and them at a possible risk. It is also unfair on everyone else who is conforming to the lockdown.
My DD2 and DGS2 are living in our house so we can help her. Started this before lockdown as she is a nurse. We do not see DD1 and her family but FaceTime with them They live 30 minutes away. Very hard and DGD who is 3 doesn't understand it but the children have booked a sleepover as soon as this ends.
If everyone bent the instructions they might as well not exist.

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 13:36:50

I just want us all to be safe.

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 13:36:32

I won't see one DGC for at least another year, possibly more so that will make two years. He'll be towering over me by then.

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 13:31:24

Bonnieblooming Look at this problem another way. Count your blessings that you live close enough to your DGC for this relatively short absence from their lives to be distressing for you.

My DGC live 200 miles away, many otherson GN have children living thousands of miles away. MY DGC and AC should be staying with me now. Fortunately I did see them at half term, but many grandparents haven't seen their GC since Chritsmas and for many it is even longer.

I am not dismissing your sadness, when you see your DGC regularly an absence like this must be very sad, but be glad you see your DGC regularly enough to feel so sad and spare a thought for those of us who see our DGC far less than you and may not see them now, for,possibly 9 months or more.

maddyone Fri 10-Apr-20 12:08:35

Lemongrove
Yes, I do talk to her daily. I do feel bad about her being so isolated, but feel it’s the safest place for her.

Bridgeit Fri 10-Apr-20 09:57:53

Why not have a Computer FaceTime conversation, you can see& hear each other .

SirChenjin Fri 10-Apr-20 09:10:24

it’s only for a short period of time - I am afraid that may be wishful thinking

I meant in the overall scheme of things. It will no doubt be a good number of months before we’re back to anything like normal but that’s nothing really when you think of the alternative.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Apr-20 08:38:13

I will probably spend the day weeping
A cry is healing being miserable upset and crying all day is not healing and is counter productive greymar
Bonnie do not dwell on what you can’t have but on what you have, a loving family and a beautiful grandchild who will be well and happy and seeing you soon it will be a bad dream one day and that little baby will have no memory of the time he had to stay with his mum and dad and not see his Nan
Time heals all wounds

Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 08:30:38

If you feel like having a good old cry Bonnie, thats entirely understandable.

Summerlove Fri 10-Apr-20 02:42:13

Luckygirl, I agree re long haul. 12-18 months of likely rolling lockdowns at least.

I’m glad you won’t be visiting again Bonnie

ExD Fri 10-Apr-20 02:18:00

Bonnie, you will weep for ever if you pass the virus on to him. We are all vulnerable, so put your big girls knickers on and do the right thing.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Apr-20 00:13:37

Don’t spend the day weeping bonnie you are all safe and in a year or two we will have almost forgotten it happened
We all have homes to live in and we have food and warm weather (at the moment) we HAVE to keep our spirits up and spending more than a few minutes weeping is not useful at all your grandchild will be happy with its Mum and Dad and that’s how it must be for a few weeks

Callistemon Thu 09-Apr-20 23:50:30

I would say it is bending the rules; someone else sees people bending the rules, not quite but nearly breaking them and thinks 'well, if they can do it, so can I', bends them further until many people are breaking them and we will continue in this spiral of illness and death.

It is very hard.
But we must stick to the rules!.

Luckygirl Thu 09-Apr-20 23:04:59

risk

Luckygirl Thu 09-Apr-20 23:04:33

it’s only for a short period of time - I am afraid that may be wishful thinking. When the rules are relaxed I suspect it will be for children to go back to school and people to return to work - but I am guessing that people in at risk groups, including folk over 70, will be advised to still observe isolation or strict social distancing. As soon as more social interaction starts, the virus will rear its head once more and the same people who are at rick now will be at risk then. Our main hope is a vaccine, and that is many many months away. I am banking on being in this for the long haul. sad

grannyornot Thu 09-Apr-20 22:44:50

I wouldn't take the risk, I too have a DGC who has a birthday in a week, we were to have a big party and now it will be just the three of them, I long to give him a big cuddle for his special day but will not take the risk, hopefully we will have a big party when the lockdown is over.