Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Laundry

(49 Posts)
Cranberry68 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:38:32

I feel this is a daft question but is it ok to hang out a washing when farmyard smells are in the air?

luluaugust Thu 16-Apr-20 11:05:47

I am starting to feel happy about living in the middle of a town.

Grannynannywanny Thu 16-Apr-20 11:21:23

Slurry stinks but it’s amazing fertiliser for making the grass grow. I go the same daily countryside walk and the fields that were sprayed 2 weeks ago are already lush green grass. The cows that have been indoors for winter doing their business into the slurry tank are now back outdoors eating the grass instead of being fed silage in the cow shed. The wonders of nature!

Dillyduck Thu 16-Apr-20 11:49:36

Will it smell? YES!

Aepgirl Thu 16-Apr-20 11:53:03

Why get uptight about what it's called. It's spread on the famer's field and it stinks. End of.

phoenix Thu 16-Apr-20 11:54:30

Aepgirl silage is not spread on fields!

GrammaH Thu 16-Apr-20 11:55:21

Not quite silage time yet - usually begins in early May when the grass is cut and the smell is lovely - newly mown grass. The grass is then "ensiled" in a silage clamp beneath plastic sheeting where it ferments & becomes silage for cows to eat during the winter. It has a smell almost like tobacco and the only time silage smells unpleasant is when the air has got to it during the fermenting process & then it smells truly disgusting! Slurry (sloppy cow muck)on the other hand smells revolting but chicken muck is by far the worst on the smell chart - definitely don't put your washing out! The smell gets in the house & you can almost taste it...ughhh! I'm a farmer so I do have first hand exlerience unfortunately!!

CarlyD7 Thu 16-Apr-20 12:13:21

As well as the smell from muck spreading, there is usually a huge increase in flies, drawn by the stink of it. Wouldn't want those landing on my washing.

Jamtowngirl Thu 16-Apr-20 12:25:30

I live next door to a farm and the smell at this time of the year is awful. My washing if pegged out smells awful as soon as the steam iron gets to work have to wash it again also towels smell as soon as we dry ourselves and now tumble dry during muck spreading but hate to use it when it’s a lovely sunny day. The whole house smelt awful last night as I had opened the windows and the smell had pervaded every room think I will have to keep my windows shut now.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 16-Apr-20 12:45:07

I used to live in a town where manure was made from the fish that had not been sold at auction in the fish market.

It was most definitely not a good idea to hang washing out when the wind blew directly from the factory to the place where I lived.

If you did, the washing stank of rotten fish!

Nanny27 Thu 16-Apr-20 13:59:12

Aepgirl why do you say ‘end of’? Does that mean no-one else is allowed to say anything?

minniemouse Thu 16-Apr-20 14:50:48

We live in the country. Your washing will stink. Sorry smile

Elegran Thu 16-Apr-20 15:08:49

Aepgirl The "end of" the (pleasant-smelling) silage is when it has been eaten by the animals when they are penned up inside all winter while the grass is not growing for them.

The beasts produce excrement/manure/dung/faeces/droppings/shit (call it what you like, no-one here will get uptight) which is collected in tanks, diluted, and spread on the fields as slurry, which stinks.

Not the sweetest of smells, but it does make the grass grow lush to provide a feast for the animals.

MRGUDER Thu 16-Apr-20 16:42:34

Slurry is so good for growth, they wrote a song about it.

"Slurry with the Fringe on top"

DanniRae Thu 16-Apr-20 16:49:35

MRGUDER - grin

phoenix Thu 16-Apr-20 16:50:48

MRGRUDER groan!

Nanny27 well said! "End of"?? Says who?

Judumsbabe Thu 16-Apr-20 18:02:03

My husband loves to involve me in his DIY projects and gives me what he considers are simple jobs to do. The annoying thing is though that he then stands over me and tells me how I’m not doing it right. He then goes on to demonstrate, in great detail, how it should be done. So infuriating!

Judumsbabe Thu 16-Apr-20 18:07:58

Sorry, didn’t mean to post it here!

phoenix Thu 16-Apr-20 18:08:08

confused

Cranberry68 Thu 16-Apr-20 18:52:50

Many thanks for all your replies (except for the troll who messaged me privately ?). I did eventually hang out the washing and can report that no smell lingered on clothes.

phoenix Thu 16-Apr-20 20:46:31

Cranberry 68 hope you reported the pm from the troll!

Hetty58 Thu 16-Apr-20 21:37:52

Human waste is processed into 'cake' (as they call it) for farmers to use on their fields - especially for cereal growing.

I never hang washing out due to allergies, anyway, but it spoils the look of the garden and may get insects or bird droppings on it.

justme2 Thu 16-Apr-20 21:47:53

If you can smell it, there are particles of the item in the air. Doesn't matter what it is.

lemongrove Thu 16-Apr-20 21:55:38

Any strong outdoor pong is bad for laundry.We used to live near a brewery, the smell really lingers.