Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Son’s non wedding day

(90 Posts)
KVW27 Thu 30-Apr-20 07:33:18

I’m after some ideas please. One month today my lovely son and his fiancée were due to get married. Due to Coronavirus they have cancelled it and are rearranging it for next year. They live just around the corner from us, but obviously we can currently only see them from a distance and don’t know how much the situation may have changed by then. They currently have one of her friends living with them (she moved in shortly before lockdown as she could no longer live with her grandparents). This friend is due to be one of the bridesmaids. We’d like to do something for them on what would have been their wedding day and I’m looking for ideas please. When I asked my son, he said they’d got nothing planned. I was thinking of liaising with others eg our family, her family (tragically her Mum died 2 years ago) the best men, bridesmaids, ushers etc. The only things I can think of are a card (I’ve seen some suitable ones online), flowers and cheese sent through the post (my son loves cheese and they were having a cheese wedding cake), and a video with messages from different people. The latter would need to be done by someone more technically savvy than me! Thoughts please and also all other ideas gratefully received. TIA

granbabies123 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:03:39

How about filling some balloons with confetti and hanging them on garden fence to pop at their leisure. Just a bit of silly fun.
It will all come right in the end ,just got to be happy just now and keep ourchins up

pamdixon Thu 30-Apr-20 12:03:07

I was going to suggest a zoom session too - plus you could send them a bottle of champagne, and you can all toast each other in your respective houses? Any excuse for a 'party'

blondenana Thu 30-Apr-20 11:52:18

Anyone having problems gatting refunds,please look on Martin Lewis money saving Expert site
I think a few people have been having this problem and he gives good advice,
I am sure it is illegal to withhold refunds
I would also suggest Trading Standards, but not sure if they are working just now

Starblaze Thu 30-Apr-20 11:49:58

I don't know if I'd want to celebrate the actual day because it might make me sad. Some extra love and surprises in the weeks leading up to it might give a boost though.

Jani Thu 30-Apr-20 11:42:46

Could you find out their favourite song - then all the quests (or the main ones ) each video a part of the song - in their own house/garden and sing a piece of the song each - obviously one person would have to collate it all together - we did this for my sons wedding - obviously it was in easier times- it’s just a small something to show you care really that’s needed with a bottle of champagne . Some of our lot sang it from their hot tubs - some their sun-bed - car could be anywhere near your home. Good luck anyway and cheers to the happy couple .

Pippa22 Thu 30-Apr-20 11:39:55

I am interested in all the comments here and of course feel really sorry for the families involved who won’t be having a wonderful get together soon. However I would like to say that in my opinion having a non wedding get together with everyone dressed up and speeches might just be the last thing the couple would want. They are not getting married for now and might want to just let the day pass in a very low key way. I am surprised so many people are saying get them a nice bottle of champagne. Alcohol is not the solution to everything and won’t make things right. With people losing so much money and endless months of planning weddings might , in future be more about actually marrying the person you love and less about a big showy, expensive day.

BStP Thu 30-Apr-20 11:35:50

I sent a cheese and wine hamper to my son for his birthday which went down well with him and his flatmates as a lockdown treat

Newatthis Thu 30-Apr-20 11:33:05

Very sad that they had to cancel. I know you said you were not tech savvi but you could ask one of the younger guests (bridesmaid or groomsmen) to arrange a zoom conference call. This is a video link call where many people can get involved all at once (like you see on TV). It's very easy to join (they will give you instructions) and many of you can all be 'together' for the day. You can each buy a bottle of fizz and toast the bride and groom for their future.

annodomini Thu 30-Apr-20 11:29:19

Fentongollan Flower farm in Cornwall does lovely flowers by post - they always arrive in perfect condition - as well as cheeses and chocolates. You can find them on line.

Goingtobeagranny Thu 30-Apr-20 11:25:28

Can you get a family member to set up a video call for all the family, send them a bottle of champagne and all have a little drink together via video? xx

Gillboo Thu 30-Apr-20 11:22:25

The set of champagne and glasses was just on line Our thoughts are with you but I’m sure that when it does happen it will be even more meaningful and precious x

Gingergirl Thu 30-Apr-20 11:18:02

Marydoll, insurers like to wriggle out of as much as they can! Good luck!

KVW27 Thu 30-Apr-20 11:05:40

@ExD Church ceremony followed by reception in a country house with about 10 bedrooms. Quite a lot of people staying the night in the house, others camping in the grounds, then everybody who stayed having breakfast together the next morning.

KVW27 Thu 30-Apr-20 11:00:51

@Gillboo thank you. Some lovely ideas there.

4allweknow Thu 30-Apr-20 10:59:49

A luxury hamper with items you know they enjoy. Neighbours had a lovely birthday cake delivered this week, all wrapped up in cellophane and ribbons. (just like flowers). If you can all use technology, Zoom kind of thing, why not a a session with the wedding party members eg bridesmaid, bestman, parents, just to say you are all looking forward to the big event next year.

rowyn Thu 30-Apr-20 10:59:39

Re Jaylucy's message re a takeaway meal - My daughter is 40 on Saturday so the best I can think of is to buy an e voucher from Deliveroo, JustEat or similar so she and her partner can order a celebration takeaway.
Or if you have a clever techno friend you could try using Zoom and having a virtual wedding reception. But that means all participants have to have either smartphones - or camera and microphone on their laptop/desktop, I think. Others out there will know better!

KVW27 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:59:18

@Bluegrass ?

KVW27 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:58:19

@Mumben ?

ExD Thu 30-Apr-20 10:57:12

I'm sure I saw a photo in a newspaper of a couple getting married in a church with only the vicar (6 ft away) and one bridesmaid and a best man (again 6. Ft apart).
There was also a cartoon of something similar, but this was real.
What happened with Fergie and PR Andrews daughter (was it Beatrice) who was getting married earlier in the year. I wasn't very interested, but didn't they have a small " do"?

KVW27 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:56:52

@OliveLatimer I like the idea of a Zoom meeting thanks. I’ve only joined in on them, not set any up myself, but this is definitely worth looking into, thank you.

Marydoll Thu 30-Apr-20 10:52:54

We initially lost £9000! The owner of the hotel group was horrible and refused to pay anything back, despite the fact taht he suspended trading before lock down.
Eventually after threatening with bad publicity, he refunded some of it. It has been an awful time, compounded by the fact that I never even thought I would make the wedding, due to ill health. Now I am sheilding, so heaven knows what will happen now.
We are trawling through credit card receipts to try and claim that way.

The insurance was a Debenhams policy and apparently the reason the underwriters won't pay out is because the virus wasn't actually in the hotel!!!!!

KVW27 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:52:01

@Oopsadaisy3 sorry I didn’t word that very well! They were due to get married on 30th May, in a month’s time! Sorry for the confusion.

Sharnie987 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:52:00

Hi, my daughter and partner , were due to get married in may, have had to cancel and reschedule to next year. Yes it's sad but under the circumstances had to be done . I plan to order them a takeaway meal, also I got her some lovely daisy earings from crystal chain ,as a little pick me up....

NannyG123 Thu 30-Apr-20 10:51:58

Can you get family and friends to send them videos. Or perhaps you could do a gathering on zoom. With some family and friends. Hopefully everything will get sorted for the wedd ing next year

Rivernana Thu 30-Apr-20 10:49:54

My daughter and her lovely partner were due to be married in September 2015. She fell pregnant and had our lovely granddaughter in July 2015 but then was very ill with sepsis so the wedding had to be cancelled because the venue refused to re arrange for a later date. They then booked a woodland wedding for the 6th of June this year - which has again had to be postponed. They have rebooked for the 5th of June 2021 and hopefully 'third time lucky' will see it through! We are planning to arrange a special takeaway meal for them on the 6th of June. We haven't seen them for nearly two months now because they were locked down early due to health issues. Still we speak every day and look forward to a reunion and celebration in due course. The love flows across all barriers.