Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can anyone explain what is going on in Parliament?

(102 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 02-Jun-20 16:02:44

I know Rees-Mogg is trying to introduce a new system of attendance/voting - haven't had a chance to look into the details but I hear MPs who are shielding or live far from London aren't best pleased.

I know MPs can't queue up in the usual Lobby to vote but what on earth is this business of them all trooping into the House - can't they just vote electronically or even with a piece of paper?

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 15:00:52

Yes, varian, that would be the sensible thing to do.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 06-Jun-20 13:27:06

Hear hear, varian! Good post smile

varian Fri 05-Jun-20 18:19:24

The people who go back to work in their local communities are not going to spread the virus across the whole country

The job of an MP is to be in their constituency to listen to constituents and then go to parliament to try to do something to right the wrongs in this country.

How are they to do that without spreading the virus?

Surely all MPs should be at home in their constituencies and conducting their parliamentary work online, as they have been doing quite well for the last weeks?

MPs are not like builders, bus drivers, surgeons, farmers or supermarket shelf stackers. ,Their work only involves discussions, debates, letter writing, committee work, speeches and voting. All of that can and should be done online.

The government advice is still, if you can work from home do.

lemongrove Fri 05-Jun-20 15:01:36

Callistemon

MaizieD

I really don't see what your comment has to to with this, Callistomen.

MPs have been forced tothe choice of putting themselves to unnecessary risk or not being able to represent their constituents if they cannot get to parliament.

This was not necessary. Is their still a deadly virus going around or isn't there? Are we supposed to be trying to do something about it or are we just letting it rip through the population?

Well, I made the point that there is a difference between going to work and working from home as I thought it may help as you seemed to be trying to explain the difference and assuming posters did not understand when they did.
A question of semantics.

My other point was that they are urging others back to work and school so I presumed that they thought they should set an example by going into their place of work themselves.
Whether or not that is a good idea is a moot point.

I hope that is clear.

It’s clear to me Callistemon ??

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 14:58:21

MaizieD

MPs have been forced tothe choice of putting themselves to unnecessary risk or not being able to represent their constituents if they cannot get to parliament.

This was not necessary. Is their still a deadly virus going around or isn't there? Are we supposed to be trying to do something about it or are we just letting it rip through the population?

Well, I made the point that there is a difference between going to work and working from home as I thought it may help as you seemed to be trying to explain the difference and assuming posters did not understand when they did.
A question of semantics.

My other point was that they are urging others back to work and school so I presumed that they thought they should set an example by going into their place of work themselves.
Whether or not that is a good idea is a moot point.

I hope that is clear.

varian Fri 05-Jun-20 14:05:14

The Tory MPs voted as instructed by a three line whip. Mindless automatons.

FarNorth Fri 05-Jun-20 13:47:56

The government won the vote

How ridiculous that this was down to voting by a reduced number of MPs, the rest having been excluded prior to the vote.

I wonder if there was a full risk assessment carried out, for the houses of parliament.

Perhaps workplaces, in general, could take votes among the employees on whether to start going in again.
It could be a popular choice for those with inadequate space at home, noisy neighbours etc.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jun-20 11:57:17

Just what you wanted, I presume, Ug

MaizieD Fri 05-Jun-20 11:56:27

I’m chilled.

Well, of course you are, Ug. For a start, you're in Spain, which is a lot safer than the UK at this moment.

Then, you voted for this sh*t show. You voted to leave the EU,where you are comfortably sunning yourself at the moment, and you voted for the self serving narcissistic bone idle liar who is responsible for the UK having a world beating death toll in the C19 pandemic.

MawB Fri 05-Jun-20 11:23:06

They have gone back to justify re-opening of schools

As Callistemon said, and there is a huge difference between going back to work (ie the place of work)
and getting back to work ie recommencing
Didn’t say anybody had stopped because they were WFH.

Oldwoman70 Fri 05-Jun-20 10:45:33

The idea that MPs should "get back to work" assumes they have not been working all along. At the beginning of the lockdown I wrote to my MP about a problem I had. I received a prompt reply with advice and help, I emailed my thanks and mentioned he must be very busy - he replied he and his staff were working 12 hour days.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Jun-20 10:30:29

I’m chilled.
?
It’s not good for one’s blood pressure to get het up!

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 10:21:45

And shouting and not reading others' posts either!

My word, you must be cross!

My theory on why they went back is posted above but you may dismiss it if you wish.
I don't mind at all.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jun-20 10:18:34

Goodness, you can tell I'm cross. Typos galore...

Urmstongran Fri 05-Jun-20 10:16:15

Sorry I always do use italics when quoting - this morning I just forgot! Sorry to confuse.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jun-20 10:16:08

MaizieD Fri 05-Jun-20 10:11:37

Government advice is to work from home if you can do so.

MPs are able to work from home. There is no need for them to be in the physical building.

There is no need for them to risk catching C19 on because Cummings thinks they'll be less effective and less of a check on the government if they were all required to turn up in order to vote or join in debates as he knows that many of them can't do that. He would do away with Prime Minister's Questions if he possibly could.

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 10:01:52

gone back meant back to place of work, ie H of C, school etc, instead of working from home.

Lucca Fri 05-Jun-20 09:59:17

Maisie D good point .and neither did teachers !!

MaizieD Fri 05-Jun-20 09:57:04

THEY NEVER STOPPED WORKING.

Hetty58 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:17:33

30% false negative?

www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/coronavirus-covid19-tests-pandemic-virus-antibodies-swab-blood

Hetty58 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:15:16

They have to turn up if they expect a return to work and school, I suppose. Denying a vote to those who can't attend is just silly, though.

The tests have false negative results at times, of course.

Lucca Fri 05-Jun-20 09:13:16

But do you think it’s a good idea ?

Firecracker123 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:09:02

The government won the vote for MPs to return so end of story in my opinion.

MawB Fri 05-Jun-20 09:01:00

Apologies Urmstongran I did not realise you were quoting Whitewave

Ahem italics to avoid confusion smile