Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can't sleep

(83 Posts)
EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 08:48:14

I can have the odd blip and last night was one of them. I must have dropped off around 11pm as usual, then thinking it was morning, woke up. It was 01.50 am ! There I was ,wide awake. That's horrible when you think you've had a night's sleep.

Bathroom, then a struggle to get back to sleep. I won't get up because I know I'd stay up for the rest of the day and end up feeling crummy so I watched an old repeat of The Chase until my eyes met in the middle and knew nothing until I heard the bin-men at 07.30. That'll do me.

Ellianne Fri 05-Jun-20 08:32:40

It's horrible and for your sake I hope it doesn't become a regular pattern. I haven't slept much for two years, averaging 3 hours if I'm lucky. How I function in the day I have no idea. The thing that helps a bit is slow breathing exercises.

Puzzler61 Fri 05-Jun-20 08:30:29

When I have trouble sleeping I take myself off to the spare bed. I can have a lamp on to read, or fidget to get comfortable, until I feel ready to zzzzzz.
DH can get his beauty sleep and doesn’t even know I’m missing!

Calendargirl Fri 05-Jun-20 08:23:36

I woke at 3.45, went to loo, then was awake listening to a steady trickle of water outside our bedroom window, it was raining and running into the empty water butt.
Still awake at 6, about to get up, nodded off for a few minutes, then got up feeling headachey.

?

vampirequeen Fri 05-Jun-20 06:25:57

I'm usually a good sleeper but last night was one of the rare nights when I couldn't sleep. I usually get up and read or play a game then try going back to bed. Sadly it didn't work last night and I finally gave up and have been up since 4am.

grandMattie Fri 05-Jun-20 06:17:49

And I thought I was alone! I get about 5 hours at best.
I nap thought the night, I don’t toss and turn for fear of disturbing DH who gets vey ratty if I do. He’s allowed to, of course..
I do my bet to have a nap of our to 45 minutes after lunch, commitments permitting.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 04:01:19

I usually spend time trying to calculate how many hours sleep I'm going to manage, if I was to fall asleep right this minute.

Then I get angry because I realise it won't be enough, and I'll feel rotten when I have to get up

Lizbethann55 Fri 05-Jun-20 02:42:21

It is 2.40am and I am downstairs drinking warm milk and catching up with Gransnet after having gone to bed 3 hours ago and tossed and turned. What do you all do when your body is tired but your brain just won't stop going over and over anything and everything?