Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Breast screening. Shall I go or not?

(88 Posts)
kathsue Fri 05-Jun-20 13:16:58

I had an appointment for a mammogram the first week of lockdown which, of sourse, was cancelled. I've just had another appointment letter for next Tuesday. There are the usual precautions like going alone, using hand sanitiser and wearing a mask but I'm not sure whether to go or not.

I'm not in the very vulnerable group but I'm nearly 70, I have ms and high blood pressure so I've been very cautious so far. Part of me thinks it's not worth the risk but part of me wants to get it done while its available.

Any advice please.

Jane43 Thu 18-Jun-20 19:29:35

Fennel I think 70 is the upper limit in most areas but you can request one afterwards.

Jane43 Thu 18-Jun-20 19:27:43

Yes, yes, yes please go. I went to every single mammogram but was overlooked for the Final one after the age of 70. When the system caught up with me I had what should have been my final one at the age of 74 and a small tumour was identified. I had a lumpectomy in December 2018, had a course of radiotherapy and have now been discharged by the oncologist. I have had one follow up mammogram and will have four more.

Silverlining48 keep trying for your appointment and best wishes to all of you who have been through the breast cancer experience.

Auntieflo Thu 18-Jun-20 19:07:17

Kathsue, just caught up with this thread, and so glad you went and have a clear result.
I was 76 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and I had a mammogram this morning. I have been very apprehensive, as I have been experiencing aches and discomfort since just before lockdown.

Best wishes to you

Fennel Thu 18-Jun-20 18:30:00

I agree with everyone who says go for the test - it's not invasive, just an xray.
@ Greengran I think at one time the UK stopped testing for breast cancer after aged 70. Maybe they've put the age limit up now.

Puzzler61 Thu 18-Jun-20 18:25:27

Super news kathsue. Bet you’ve heaved a big sigh of relief. Well done. ?

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jun-20 18:24:00

I went to the hospital yesterday I felt as safe as houses they have had two sinks and soap dispensers and paper rolls put in the reception area Everyone there staff and visitors wore masks and seating was separated
I went on buses and those too were very safe alternate seating very few people on theM and everyone wore masks

tanith Thu 18-Jun-20 18:09:58

Well done kathsue

Grandmafrench Thu 18-Jun-20 17:40:55

Don't think about it........................just go! You owe it to yourself.

kathsue Thu 18-Jun-20 17:38:19

Just an update. I got the results of my breast screening this morning and its all clear. ( Big sigh of relief )

Lucca Wed 10-Jun-20 09:36:32

Just read your update kathsue
I was about to ask “did you wented ?” As DGS might say.
Robo
. Wishing you all the best with your treatment.

Loislovesstewie Wed 10-Jun-20 08:35:13

Just to say 'well done' .
I think it is important to reiterate that we must still take care of our health despite being worried about the pandemic.

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 22:47:13

Well done ?

kathsue Tue 09-Jun-20 18:43:44

I DID IT! smile

I went for my mammogram this morning and it all went ok. They'd told me to wear a face covering so I got my sewing machine out yesterday and made myself a mask. The first thing the nurse said was "have you washed your hands?" then she sent me to the toilet to wash my hands ( I did feel like a schoolgirl hmm).

I was in and out in 10 minutes altogether. I know I shouldn't have been worried.

Thank you all for your overwhelming support.

Robo Tue 09-Jun-20 09:51:08

Sitting here in hospital this morning to start my first chemo session- please go x

Linda369 Sun 07-Jun-20 21:39:31

Slightly different but hubby gave blood last week. Every care taken regarding his safety as a well as the staff - I would say go and follow all the advice.

Happilyretired123 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:24:29

Yes I think you should go. I had to have a scan of my ovaries 2 weeks ago to follow up a suspicious growth found on a scan at the end of Feb. I didn’t want to go but it was fine. All staff wearing masks, social distancing in place. Better than missing a potential cancer which would be more serious if not detected earlier.

GrauntyHelen Sun 07-Jun-20 01:46:38

I would go

moggie57 Sat 06-Jun-20 23:21:15

yes .do go .you can get breast cancer at any stage .even cancer under your arms./lymph nodes...might be a bit uncomfortable but it better knowing than not..

Atqui Sat 06-Jun-20 18:07:47

This is a timely post for me. When I last had a mammogram
they told me I would have to arrange my own appointment after 3 years. I must have been 68 as now 71 and found a letter where I’d scribbled Sept 20. I’ve been debating whether to make an appointment and it seems from this thread that I should. I also had a pneumonia jab cancelled at the beginning of lockdown so was interested to see that someone’s husband had been to surgery for his .

Framilode Sat 06-Jun-20 18:01:59

I live in the Oxford area and received a letter to say they were doing trials for some over the age of 70 and others at the younger age of the spectrum. I was on the trial and went and was in and out in 5 minutes. Received the all clear results within a fortnight. It will probably be the last mammogram I will have. The leaflet accompanying the letter made for interesting reading though.
I would go.

Rosina Sat 06-Jun-20 17:53:19

Over 70s are the most vulnerable group for breast cancer - I cannot understand why routine screening stops at 70. I will certainly keep going, and would urge you to do the same kathsue - everything is sanitised and safe, as my neighbour told me last week having had a scan.

granAnnie Sat 06-Jun-20 17:07:01

If you do go, definitely do a bit of preparation. This will make you feel more comfortable if you feel anxious. You will likely be offered a mask and to sanitise your hands, but I took these with me on recent visits (also something to press a lift button if you have to use one). I've had to attend hospital twice recently for tests and all the staff were wonderful and caring and wore PPE. I personally put a plastic basin at my front door to place my shoes when I got home. I also took a shower and washed my clothes. This is because I work in the NHS and staff routinely do this if they can't shower at work. I also avoided bringing in my handbag so I would not need to place it on any surfaces - but honestly the NHS have stringent infection prevention and control methods - including decontamination of surfaces. I drive so that wasn't the issue - public transport would be my biggest concern.

GreenGran78 Sat 06-Jun-20 16:30:32

I haven’t been called for one for years. I’m 80, and wonder if it’s worth asking if I can have one.

grandMattie Sat 06-Jun-20 16:25:04

It’s 70, after which you can ask for referrals. I’m 72 and will set one in motion as soon as all this has died down. I think smears are the same.

Forestflame Sat 06-Jun-20 16:16:38

Please please GO♥️