Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Static caravans. To buy or not to buy?

(30 Posts)
Crazygran Tue 09-Jun-20 07:29:24

Hi, my partner and I are thinking about buying a static caravan .
Any advice on the pros and cons would be appreciated .

Davida1968 Mon 15-Jun-20 11:40:51

Please know that holiday-home sites and residential park sites are very different, legally! In reply to the original post, I know a couple who have a "static" on a very peaceful, quiet, well-kept holiday-only site in a rural setting in the SW. They love it. No extra social facilities - simply an on-site manager and a small launderette. They use it at every opportunity, and relish the fact that they can just take off whenever they like -minimal forward planning needed. I understand that holiday-home sites must close for at least a month in every year, by law. (It's illegal to live there full-time, though some people do.)

annep1 Mon 15-Jun-20 19:57:20

Oh dear; I'm so sorry everyone!? £1700. For Mar-Oct. Expensive enough. Bought as M.E. was bad and I had not much energy for travelling. I still think a large tourer is a much better idea. But as someone said there is all the driving, although you can park in a site for the whole summer.

heath480 Mon 15-Jun-20 20:35:40

I owned a holiday chalet in Cornwall,it seemed a better buy to me than a caravan.

The site had amazing uninterrupted views of the sea.

The fees were about £2.500 a year,this included use of the on site facilities,swimming pool,bar,tennis courts etc.I had a 999year lease.

I live in the a Midlands and found the drive a bit much now I am getting older.Also no private outdoor space that wasn’t communal,so I always had to go out with my dog when needed,it became a pain.

I sold it two years ago.I didn’t feel the time I used it justified the expense.

Davidhs Tue 16-Jun-20 11:46:23

Static caravan or Time share go into with your eyes open, service charges and restrictions can cost a great deal, you need to use them a great deal to get the value.