Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My 66 yr old mum

(27 Posts)
Cplj Fri 12-Jun-20 08:38:23

Hi there, I thought ask gran was a great place to start with some advice/suggestions (but nothing too harsh pls)

So my mum is 66, since lockdown she has been lonely and creating much drama - she always has done throughout her life, there's always something negative for her to mourn or be upset/angry about.

She lives alone and hasn't had a relationship for 30 years.

She has problems with blood pressure and it worries her massively.

She never helps herself. She doesn't eat well/much, she doesn't do any hobbies, never cooks, doesn't have many friends, she's afraid of living life, she is very much part of my sister's life.

She has tried to put herself on me massively at times in the past, crying a lot needing me to help her emotionally (when i was pregnant too) which wasn't great timing.

She affects me negatively and the older i'm getting I can see what's going on. My upbringing has affected me massively and i have many things to work on and change.

I think she is jealous of me (which sounds ridiculous and crazy) but i do feel it.

She basically moans and complains all the time, she is becoming a burden and every time i see her, she is a broken record...

how do i keep our interactions less painful? Am i being too harsh and insensitive?

I would never want my son to feel this way. I would protect him from my feelings all the time and would share with a counsellor/friend/therapist (my brother has suggested this to her) but she gets very defensive and insists she does not need this.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

lemsip Wed 17-Jun-20 16:42:06

do bear in mind that you may, one day, have an offspring writing about you on here, you may recognise your situation. How awful you would feel!