Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Beach tips please 1 year old baby on beach

(57 Posts)
Abuelana Sat 13-Jun-20 13:26:12

My granddaughter is 1 and we’ve started to take her on the bevy in the mornings. We live in Spain. We go early in the morning and home for lunch time. Do any of you have tips for taking babies to the beach? The only one I can remember is talc and a small paint brush for getting sand off feet and legs ?

EmilyHarburn Mon 15-Jun-20 11:30:04

sunhat, parasol. You do not want to burn or dehydrate the baby so water.

GagaJo Sun 14-Jun-20 21:39:50

My grandson does the same thing at North Shields or Cambois Fennel. Any weather. He's not particular.

Fennel Sun 14-Jun-20 16:54:53

The first time I took my oldest 2 to 'my' beach the baby was in his pushchair the older boy about 3, holding on the side.
But as soon as he saw the sea he made a dash for it and ran in, fully clothed!
I can't remember how we got him back to my parent's house.
He did the same thing when we stopped to look out from the headland at Tynemouth where the Tyne starts but I caught him.
He's still very impulsive.

Abuelana Sun 14-Jun-20 16:24:44

Thanks ladies lots of useful tips - we certainly are going to enjoy her time at the beach.

Heket Sun 14-Jun-20 16:14:51

Slip, slap, slop as per Australian habits.

And stay away from crowded areas if Covid is still appearing in Spain.

You’d never forgive yourself if she or anyone she cane into contact with developed coronavirus- and we still don’t know enough about asymptomatic carriers.

NannyC1 Sun 14-Jun-20 15:10:02

Am i right to assume the Talc and paintbrush are to remove the sand from her legs and arms and not to use instead of sunscreen? To shelter my Dgd we used a windbreaker with a towel over the top and one on the sand. Have a lovely time.

NoddingGanGan Sun 14-Jun-20 14:56:10

Take a fitted sheet with you. If gdg turns out not to like the feel of sand, spread it out with a bag at each corner to raise the sides and voila, sand free play area.
Or sand free picnic area if you take one.

Callistemon Sun 14-Jun-20 14:11:59

Grammaretto and crocodiles too, not to mention box jellyfish.

KathrynP Sun 14-Jun-20 14:05:33

We bought a blow up boat about 3ft long and got he 4 yr old to fill it with water for the 11 month old. Kept the older one busy. The inflated part kept her upright and it wasn't too big to carry when deflated. A sunshade over her. Now to maintain social distancing I was thinking that a couple of windbreakers (homemade or otherwise would be good and spread yourself around enough so you've marked your space. Children are now grown up and still love coming back fro seaside holidays as we only live 100 yards from the beach.

Grammaretto Sun 14-Jun-20 13:54:53

I meant to say if you are in Australia you have to worry about sharks too!
In NZ recently an experienced adult surfer was drowned. Perhaps we should keep away from the sea....
www.sunlive.co.nz/news/231972-tauranga-woman-drowns-taranaki.html

Grammaretto Sun 14-Jun-20 13:51:19

@Juicylucy

olliebeak Sun 14-Jun-20 13:48:33

Regarding talcum powder - how about using 'Liquid Talc' like this one from ASDA - it contains 'Tapioca Starch'
- groceries.asda.com/product/baby-skincare/asda-little-angels-liquid-talc/910000226012

trisher Sun 14-Jun-20 13:32:36

I was told about the talc-sand removal thing by my DIL. It's amazing what they come up with.
If the baby is 1year old she's probably mobile so it depends. Some children you can't even sit down with and the sea is just a magnet others play quite happily. I remember my gran and great aunts used to commission us to dig a hole and build them a back rest when we were older. But a large hole can accommodate a small child and her toys for a little while!

Meta Sun 14-Jun-20 13:20:24

DammYankee list I meant

Meta Sun 14-Jun-20 13:19:20

Excellent list here- totally agree as someone who lives near the sea and has small grandchildren!

Esspee Sun 14-Jun-20 13:06:48

@Barmeyoldbat Talcum powder IS carcinogenic, especially when contaminated with asbestos which much of it is.
Talc free baby powder is not.
Unfortunately we use the term "talc" generically nowadays much as we use the term Hoover when we mean vacuum cleaner.
Much of what is thought of today as "talc" is nothing to do with real talc.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:46:06

is, not us, sorry, got distracted by Microsoft's new impossible browser.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:45:28

A sun hat that us tied under the chin so the child cannot take it off and that shades the back of the neck as well as the head, sandals, as the sand can become so hot it burns the feet, lashings of sun screen of the kind sold specially for children, long sleeved garment to cover up with when the child has been in the sun long enough and lots of drinking water.

And obviously, stay with the child while she is in the water, or at the edge of it.

JackyB Sun 14-Jun-20 12:37:22

Big blanket is a must. Check the sand if she plays outside the blanket area for dog poo and cigarette ends. Actually, I've seen even worse than this on beaches, but won't mention it here.

My main thought would be how to occupy her. Don't bother taking a book - you'll probably have to be on your toes every minute!

moggie57 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:29:07

lots of sunscreen .a little tent for her to sit in helps.towel/sand shoes/parasol.

Juicylucy Sun 14-Jun-20 12:22:44

My DD and Gc grew up in Australia they wore float suits or rashies from 6 months old. Very good very safe if you google you will be able to find them. They protect from sun and have small floats on them. The rashie comes workout floats. Never saw a child without one or the other on beach in Oz.

Fennel Sun 14-Jun-20 12:22:27

Is the baby walking yet? If not, I would keep her out of the sun altogether. especally 10am to 4pm, as someone said.
Baby's skin is very sensitive and seaside sun burns very quickly.
I've never found out why that is but it's certainly true, from experience.
I have a photo of myself as a 2-3 year old on the beach where I grew up, in the nude, no shame, being rubbed dry by my Mum.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 14-Jun-20 11:59:24

I did read somewhere that they have found talc not to be harmful, but can't think where.

Riggie Sun 14-Jun-20 11:45:42

Youncan get talc free talc. Its made from cornstarch

barbaralynne Sun 14-Jun-20 11:42:22

The suggestions already given are all excellent. I can only add a warning - the first time I took my two little girls to a sandy beach my youngest was 5-6 months old. She picked up the spade, decided it was a nice big spoon, shovelled up a load of sand and straight in her mouth!
Fortunately it did her no harm and she didn't try it again!