Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do you motivate yourself?

(42 Posts)
CorneliaStreet Tue 16-Jun-20 06:04:46

What are your motivation tips to keep going on with some things you are tired of or not interested in anymore but you have to keep going and finish them?

Pantglas2 Tue 16-Jun-20 06:37:21

I’m a rewards kinda girl, so if I’ve got something horrible to do/finish I promise myself a treat, doesn’t have to be big or expensive.

ladymuck Tue 16-Jun-20 06:42:27

I find my interest goes in cycles. I have periods of knitting, sewing or doing cross stitch. If I lose interest in something, I simply put it aside until the urge to finish it returns.

CathTheWise Tue 16-Jun-20 07:00:54

My DD reads lots of psychological books and she once gave me a good advice: if you want to achieve something, visualize it first. At that time I was about to leave my workplace but I wasn't sure whether I really had to do it so I postponed it again and again. After discussing it with her, I did a photo collage with pictured of lady who looked like me in some ways sitting in the good office and being very busy with her work, I added a picture of money and a picture of friendly colleagues, etc. Then I looked at it every day and that's how I got the courage to leave my previous job and look for another one. Funny enough, I had a very good office and my colleagues were very nice and friendly! And the salary also was good, so yes, maybe these psychological things do work.

CorneliaStreet Tue 16-Jun-20 07:02:10

Same with me, ladymuck, I also have my interests runnin circles but sometimes you just need to finish something and you have to time to wait when you ave interest for it again, you know?

CorneliaStreet Tue 16-Jun-20 07:03:37

CathTheWise, wow! I'm so happy for you!! You daughter gave you a very good advice! I didn't understand the collage part thoughm was it madeout of the pictures from the magazines?

Sparkling Tue 16-Jun-20 07:04:36

Ask yourself what was the reason for starting in the first place and plod on because it will be worth a job well done. I did however, get enough wool to make a cardigan, it became obvious half way through it would fit an elephant and I would never wear it as I now disliked the colour. I unpicked it and parcelled all the wool up and it's going to the charity shop. I could not be bothered if it's not useful or attractive. I once painstakingly removed a whole room of wood chip, it was a horrible job and took weeks, I felt like giving in but kept on because I knew it would be worth it and it was, but I wouldn't do it again.

sodapop Tue 16-Jun-20 08:53:38

I do the same thing Pantglas2 a small treat for a job completed. Delayed gratification also works for me, I don't allow myself to read the next chapter of my book until I have done the job I dislike. Silly things but they help me along the day.

CathTheWise Tue 16-Jun-20 09:31:33

Yes, CorneliaStreet, I used a bunch of old Vogue and Cover Girl from my DD's bookshelf, but it was quite some time ago, and I bet you can use a special program for that, not some glued thin paper fragments. I know there is a Photo collage maker you can use and maybe there are some others. Or use Paint!

H1954 Tue 16-Jun-20 09:37:21

I thank my lucky stars that I actually woke up in the mornings, many don't! I try to do something constructive every day, a bit of gardening, the ironing, some baking, sorting through drawers; that way I can look back on the day and think "job well done" rather than mooching around watching bloody daytime tv!

I also acknowledge, however much pain I'm in or how low I feel, that there's ALWAYS someone else far worse off than me although I have NO sympathy for " Mr & Mrs Woe is me "!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 16-Jun-20 09:46:41

I don't need too much motivation for starting a new project such as some sewing but stuff like vacuuming or changing the bedclothes - well, that's another matter.

For the latter I tell myself that the job will only take ten minutes - what's ten minutes out of a day, a week, a year? Nothing. And I also remind myself that I'm grateful to have the wit that it needs to be done. It works well with the bedding but not so good with the vacuuming.

DiscoGran Tue 16-Jun-20 10:00:14

My best tip, and I use it at work and for everything else,is to break things down into smaller goals.

Little and often is my motto. Little bit of ironing, little bit of vacuuming. Do the least liked task first. Before you know it, you're back on the patio with a little glass of whatever. Jobs a good'un. ?

Teetime Tue 16-Jun-20 10:01:30

Doing al the jobs before relaxing is the habit of a lifetime for me I dont feel comfortable doing it any other way. When I was at work and when studying for something I always beat the deadlines by a good margin. Then you can have fun with your free time.

Rutheleanor Tue 16-Jun-20 10:07:21

I pretend that I have been dead for many years and have now been allowed one day back on earth. So I appreciate every single moment. Should I worry for my mental health?

Alexa Tue 16-Jun-20 10:09:14

Heinz cream of chicken soup.

Calendargirl Tue 16-Jun-20 10:14:43

I’ve just cleaned the kitchen and bathroom, my reward is a mug of milky coffee, a look at GN, and maybe a chapter or two of my book.

Trouble is, the book reading and GN can stretch out somewhat, so must restrict myself.

Esmerelda Tue 16-Jun-20 10:16:49

I do the same ladymuck
Bravo H1954 ... I too have no time for the whinging "Woe is Me" brigade.

EllanVannin Tue 16-Jun-20 10:23:03

I'm more than happy not having the motivation I once had. In the last of my septuagenarian year I feel fully entitled just to do things as I see fit and not because I have to. Why, when I'm happy doing nothing ? grin

Like many here I worked damned hard in the past so now I just please myself. There's only so much housework you can do (living on your own ) There's more than enough going on in the family to keep my brain ticking over and I'm at their beck and call should the need arise so what more do I want ?

Life is never boring !

Gma29 Tue 16-Jun-20 10:34:37

I make lists. It’s probably a bit over the top sometimes, but I find writing down a few things everyday gives me a sense of some purpose, and then crossing things off gives me a sense of having achieved something, and not wasted the day.

It’s really helped me these past weeks when there were mornings I couldn’t see the point of getting up.

I break tasks down too, so I’m not faced with a huge job, that’s off putting before you start.

BettyBoop49 Tue 16-Jun-20 10:36:39

Yesterday our friends helped us erect a new shed but had to leave before it was finished.
My partner is disabled so unable help.
I looked at the shed and thought “ i have to do this girl (Im 71) Two hours later the shed was finished. All trims in place, painted and having climbed the ladder, the roof was felted. I was motivated by the thought of being able to put all the garden clutter away.
All completed in the heat of the sun !!
Sorry for being boastful but i was quite proud if myself!

Juicylucy Tue 16-Jun-20 10:38:14

I love a list, and always make sure I achieve at least one thing from it each day however big or small.

TanaMa Tue 16-Jun-20 10:44:44

Being in the vulnerable ge group - 85 - and a widow living alone, I have kept myself busy with clearing out 'clutter' and trying to keep the large garden under control as well as my two dogs happy. However, after 3 months I was beginning to feel that I would never go out again. So yesterday I made the decision to go shopping, fill my car with petrol and drive the long way to the shops.
I now feel revitalised!! The car parks at the shops had few cars and there were no queues to get in. Did all the shopping I needed in air conditioned comfort (it was very hot and humid here) with plenty of space. Today I feel so pleased that I took that step and do not feel so worried about going out again, albeit following all the safety guidelines.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 16-Jun-20 11:16:13

'fraid I just get on with it! today I shall be baking, lter on today I shall be sewing the laundry bags - am looking forward to the laundry bags being finished so I can get on with other things, i.e. a painting needs repaired after GS decided to walk all over it!! (I know it shouldn't have been on the floor!

Kim19 Tue 16-Jun-20 11:18:31

Well done BB49. I'm impressed. My motivation tends to come from the satisfaction that I know I will have as another item is deleted from my 'to do' list. My irritation with myself comes from the silly amount of time I spend thinking about a chore when, in fact, it sometimes only takes me about half an hour to complete. Jeepers!

Coconut Tue 16-Jun-20 11:29:29

I just get fed up with myself when I have flat days, so tell myself to get a grip ! I too like making a “stuff to do list” and working thro it ASAP. I walk a lot, bake a lot and just keep busy. I always count my blessings, have a lovely family and lots of lovely friends, but the bottom line is, i remind myself that I’d rather be over the hill than under it ?