Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help with sending parcels abroad

(11 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Fri 19-Jun-20 11:07:30

I need to send a parcel to the USA to return goods I bought online. It needs to be tracked and traced so I know that it has been delivered safely.

DH took it to the Post Office yesterday as I've been shielding and they mentioned paying a £20 guarantee. No mention of a customs form which has to be filled in and stuck on the outside of the parcel.

I can't find any information about this "guarantee" on the Royal Mail website. How do I know that this £20 won't end up in the counter clerk's pocket?

If anyone has been through this process please can you please tell me how it worked?

Melanie61 Fri 19-Jun-20 11:15:15

I have a post office. There is no such thing. How much postage did you pay and how heavy was the parcel. I’ll try and help.

Newatthis Fri 19-Jun-20 11:27:40

There is no such thing. I send parcels regularly to the US. If you want to use Royal Mail buy online - look for Royal Mail Pricing - it's easy, you can just follow the directions through. Then you can take your package to the PO post prepaid although I might use a differ PO as it looks like a little bit of dishonesty is going on. I personal would report it. Another alternative is a courier which is sometimes cheaper. UPS or DHL for example.

B9exchange Fri 19-Jun-20 11:38:53

Just used Parcels2Go online, and very impressed. Paid and printed off label, took to nearest drop off point (they will pick up but you pay extra) and was then able to track it all the way to Spain. It was delivered in 5 days, much too early for GD's birthday!

SueDonim Fri 19-Jun-20 13:22:32

I’ll second Parcels2Go. I sent a heavy box of presents to the USA with them last Xmas and was very impressed with the service. I was kept updated at to its progress and my son received it within the week.

The previous time, I’d sent via Royal Mail but they didn’t receive the gifts until late February and they stunk of damp and mould.

Callistemon Fri 19-Jun-20 14:25:29

We have to pay a bit extra to track parcels to Australia from our Post Office. One airmail parcel took nearly a month to arrive at Christmas and, although I could track it, there was nothing I could do about it as it meandered from depot to depot in Australia.

Thank you for the recommend, I will investigate.

Callistemon Fri 19-Jun-20 14:28:45

Ramblingrose we had to send something important and personal and yes, we were quoted £59 at the local PO for a guaranteed delivery to Australia. It was a tiny parcel and not heavy.

I sent it tracked for about £15 and it did arrive safely and reasonably quickly (about 10 days).

Ramblingrose22 Sat 20-Jun-20 11:58:48

Thanks to all for their posts. The parcel hasn't been posted yet because DH brought it home to check if I wanted to pay extra for the "guarantee".

Melanie61 - thanls for your offer of help. Surely a customs declaration is needed - form CN22? It says this on the Royal Mial website and there was a similar form on the address label when the sender sent me the parcel containing the goods.

Others - did you complete one of these forms when you used other methods than Royal Mail?

I will look onto the other methods suggested here.

I don't want to be ripped off and the recipient has asked for the parcel to have a tracking number. I definitely want it to be tracked for my own peace of mind.

SueDonim Sat 20-Jun-20 14:09:11

Yes, there was a customs form when I sent via Parcels2Go. As I recall, I filled everything out online and then printed it. I think one bit had to go in with the parcel.

I had to drop mine off at a branch of Curry’s and they were super-helpful!

NonnaLor Tue 23-Jun-20 22:14:55

RRose I use Royal Mail track/trace/sign to send parcels to family in the USA. I paid £22 to send a1.5kg parcel on 18 May. I’ve been checking it’s progress via the tracking no and it only got to San Francisco today! Usually takes around 2 weeks.

Ramblingrose22 Mon 29-Jun-20 17:20:01

NonnaLor - have only just seen your post. Thanks for letting know how long the parcel might take.

I hope to send it this week.