Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pets

(34 Posts)
Nannyplum53 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:13:23

Firstly let me say, I'm a dog lover. I've had them for many years and they are a huge part of our family. Recently a group of us - only 4 in total, were invited to a friends house for a catch up in the garden and I thought lovely, ooh I can see her dog ;-) but when I got there, a friend had told her she must put the dog away as she might have Covid-19 on her fur. I know this can happen, but I was horrified. I thought if she was so worried that she shouldn't have gone. The host, had supplied hand sanitisers, wipes etc. She did, much to my disappointment put the dog away. I don't want the lady in question here now. What are your thoughts?

Camelotclub Mon 22-Jun-20 14:52:45

When you said 'put away' I thought at first you meant put to sleep! Now that would be cruel and unusual.

Kim19 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:14:20

Human friends and their comforts would always come first with me. Lovely as some are, they are still animals.

harrigran Mon 22-Jun-20 17:23:25

I am definitely with the friend who did not want contact with the dog.
I would also shun you because you think it is okay for the dog to mingle.

mumstheword86 Mon 22-Jun-20 18:09:01

I live in an appartment block and we are not supposed to be allowed cats or dogs living with us in our flats but since lockdown I have seen many people walking their dogs daily allowing them to Wee/ poo on the grass picking it up in a bag so good of them but the germs are still on the grass aren’t they or do I have this wrong ....then I see families/people coming out and sitting on those same places Of grass playing with Their children and with toys Etc How do I deal with this ???
No one follows the rules these days animals cost money how can they afford to have these pets Surely living in an appartment block with a young family is not good no outside space they should be saving for a home of their own with a garden Not buying a dog !!!

MayBee70 Mon 22-Jun-20 18:37:07

Lots of mink have been euthanised in one country because they were found to have Covid. I need to recheck but I think people who worked at the mink farm caught it from them. If you disinfect supermarket trolley handles etc why would you stroke a dog straight after someone else has stroked it. And if you don’t stroke it how difficult would it be to not stroke a dog that comes up to you wagging it’s tail. I miss my grand dog terribly but won’t go to their house because I can’t bear the thought of her running up to me for a cuddle that I can’t give. If I’m totally honest I think that, even though I’ve got a dog of my own, she’s the person I’ve missed the most since we self isolated. There have been cases of dogs catching the virus I believe, but it doesn’t make them ill. We have so much to learn about this virus (as has been pointed out on this thread).

Chaitriona Mon 22-Jun-20 18:51:09

No, Nannyplum, You should not invite that friend to your home because you want to let your dog run around the garden while she and other guests are there. I have a friend who visits me with her dog. I am very fond of the dog. During the present time she has visited me twice with distancing in my garden. Once without her dog. The second time I thought her dog was coming but in fact did not. A dog will come to you expecting a pat. I intended to manage by being careful not to touch my face and washing my hands after they left. However if I had my own dog I would not want it running around several people in my garden and then running around my house. I wouldn’t want to have to wash the dog. Possibly a nonsense. But I have been washing my groceries and letting my post lie.

Moth62 Mon 22-Jun-20 22:18:36

GrandmaMia1 I feel so very sorry for you losing your doggy. We lost our two a couple of years ago and we still miss them so much. They’re a big part of the family and, consequently, they leave a huge gap when they leave us. I know it probably won’t make you feel a lot better, but all the vets I have known have treated the dog as if it was their own. Your doggy would have been in very kind and sympathetic hands ?

Kartush Tue 23-Jun-20 00:18:16

I have had dogs almost all my adult life but I am sorry, I just cannot get my head around this idea that the dog has to go places with you and be a part of visits with friends.
When visitors came to my house our dog or dogs were put on a chain, the dogs knew this routine and were not distressed at all by it, they would wag their tails and happily sleep until the visitors left. Some of them, as they grew older, once they had ascertained that the people were allowed in the house would go to the area of their own free will and stay there until the guests left. And in case you are wondering, yes my children were taught the same thing, adult visitors, politely say hello then go away or in the case of younger ones play quietly in the room but don’t bother the visitors.
If I go to friends houses with dogs, I do not pat them or make a fuss of them no matter how friendly or tail wagging they are. They are not my animals, why would I want to? In this time of Covid Uncertainty I simply cannot understand anyone touching another persons animals. Nor can I understand the owners wanting their animals to be touched.