Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pets

(33 Posts)
PinkCakes Sun 21-Jun-20 17:47:55

It's been reported that the RSPCA have been taking in even more animals during the Covid-19 crisis, due to people dumping the in case the pet has got the virus. MORONS. Animals might be able to catch the virus from humans, not the other way around.

The RSPCA say:
"In most cases we don't know why pets are abandoned but it's really important to remind people that there is no evidence to suggest that Covid-19 can be passed from pets to people."

sodapop Sun 21-Jun-20 16:14:17

Normally I would agree that your friend should be able to have her dog around when there are guests. However we are living in a period of heightened stress and concerns about infection so maybe not such an unreasonable request. Of course if the lady in question was so worried perhaps she should have stayed away.

Shelmiss Sun 21-Jun-20 14:22:50

If anyone suggested I put my dog away whilst he or she were visiting they would be shown the door. It’s my house and my dogs - if they choose to visit me in my garden then they do not make the rules.

How rude!!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 21-Jun-20 14:12:34

It is up to you who you invite to your home.

Had I be the dog owner in question, I would have sent my dog indoors too - after all a visitor is entitled to feel comfortable when visiting me.

I put the cat out when my next door neighbour comes in, as she is terrified of cats.

Dixsy Sun 21-Jun-20 13:23:24

Humptydumpty.. I'm not disagreeing with what's written just as it's a responsibility when dealing with others loved ones.. But I still don't think we know enough. Just recently a baby as died with covid they said send your children to school to mix with 15 others it's still trial and Era.. As they thought that children was less likely to get it it is only what the stadistics are saying.. I don't want to get into a argument about this as everyone will have there own opinions about this. And rightly so.

humptydumpty Sun 21-Jun-20 12:37:04

From www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-people-with-animals:

There is no evidence that:
coronavirus is circulating in pets or other animals in the UK
pets, other domestic animals or livestock can transmit the disease to humans

In line with general advice on coronavirus, you should wash your hands before and after being around or handling animals or their food.

There is no evidence that you need to wash your pets to control the spread of coronavirus. Never use household or commercial cleaning products, disinfectants or antibacterial wipes on pets.

Notice especially that last bit : cats (at least) can be ill after coming into contact with antibacterial, alcohol based products.

Dixsy Sun 21-Jun-20 11:40:17

I think we don't know enough about covid and the virus been carried on dogs coats.. My daughter s a dog groomer and as each dog is brought she uses her own leads which are then put in the sterilizer after each dog.. Dog immediately put in bath and no contact with floor until dry. One dog in so no contact with others.. Then everything sterilized before anyone else arrives.. This makes her not see as many dogs as she would but better safe than sorry as I said we don't know enough.. Perhaps this person was just been cautious for her dog and yours.

Nannyplum53 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:13:23

Firstly let me say, I'm a dog lover. I've had them for many years and they are a huge part of our family. Recently a group of us - only 4 in total, were invited to a friends house for a catch up in the garden and I thought lovely, ooh I can see her dog ;-) but when I got there, a friend had told her she must put the dog away as she might have Covid-19 on her fur. I know this can happen, but I was horrified. I thought if she was so worried that she shouldn't have gone. The host, had supplied hand sanitisers, wipes etc. She did, much to my disappointment put the dog away. I don't want the lady in question here now. What are your thoughts?