Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If milk is being delivered at 2.30am what on earth time are they milking the cows?

(39 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Tue 23-Jun-20 02:32:55

It's too hot to sleep with the window closed so I hear every vehicle going by. This is the 3rd night I've heard the milkman delivering at 2.30am. But with the processng involved, I'm wondering what on earth time are they milking the cows these days?

Maggiemaybe Tue 23-Jun-20 10:56:59

We must be lucky. Our milk’s delivered at around 6 o’clock. It’s from a local dairy, in glass bottles, our milkman’s lovely, and we can order other items at short notice if we’re stuck. It’s a great service.

paddyanne Tue 23-Jun-20 11:39:14

We avoid the road around 4.30 on the edge of the town as thats when the cows are moved across it for milking,I get that milk delivered about 2am the next day.I get fruit juices ,eggs ,butter,cream,potatoes and several other things delivered with the milk.Order before 6pm and its there when I wake up

Rufus2 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:37:19

Perhaps I’m not discerning enough
Jane Possibly, because UHT milk is excellent, having a guaranteed shelf life of 9 months. That's all I buy and never had a single drop "go off!"! grin

Stansgran Tue 23-Jun-20 12:38:11

Our milkman lives on Paradise Farm. He delivers eggs as well. He has never missed even in heaviest snow and I use an insulated milk container so it doesn't freeze in winter.

midgey Wed 24-Jun-20 10:00:31

www.milkandmore.co.uk/ is a company, if you are looking for an independent milkman try your local Facebook group or perhaps just ask around. My milk comes from a local farm.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:09:34

Four o'clock the previous afternoon, would be my guess.

That is if it's fresh milk.

jenthenan59 Mon 05-Feb-24 16:10:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 05-Feb-24 16:20:28

Reported

JamesandJon33 Mon 05-Feb-24 18:50:24

At a farm near my friend they are often milking after midnight. Why, she doesn’t know.

flappergirl Mon 05-Feb-24 22:08:12

I haven't had milk delivered, or even seen a milkman, for years.

Oldbat1 Mon 05-Feb-24 22:50:37

My neighbour has her milk delivered. Often see the milkman just about 10pm as i close the bedroom curtains.

silverlining48 Mon 05-Feb-24 22:55:35

4 year old thread

NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Feb-24 00:05:09

Shrub

Birds used to peck the tops off milk to get to the cream. Now milk is homogenised the cream is no longer at the top so they don't do it!

My (whole organic) milk isn't homogenised. It is very rich and creamy especially in late spring/early summer months and still has a thick layer of cream on top.

Supermarket milk is generally homogenised I've found - even most of the organic offerings.

Strangely though I've not had a bird peck the lid for years!